Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A winch to lower a trailer down a slope.

Views : 1803

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2017, 19:13   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default A winch to lower a trailer down a slope.

Has anyone fitted a winch to the rear of a 240 estate to lower a trailer down a slope please? Most winches are not for lowering down slopes, only for pulling up a slope. And a strong mounting point is needed. It's not easy to see how to mount a winch to the towbar at the rear.

Father Christmas needs your helpful information. His sleigh trailer needs to be moved down a sloping drive in to Advent quarters. In readiness to go around the streets visiting the children in this area, and collecting charity money from the children's adults. Santa's helpers are not as young not as strong and not as numerous as they used to be so a winch is being considered.

This year's T shirt:

Santa
I can explain....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 20:04   #2
ksmi
Master Member

Default message to Santa

Hi Santa, may I make a suggestion, try having a word with you local Landrover dealer,and ask if they know any off road bods/clubs in the area,they often have winches for tugging each other out of the brown stuff and I am sure the would be only too pleased to assist Santa.

regards,Keith.
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 20:49   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Good point re local Land Rover clubs/owners. One Disco owner justifies his vehicle by towing Santa around the streets. He drives better towing than most of us manage without a trailer. But we can't at the moment get any LR owner offering to lower down the slope. Sorry. Justifies his vehicle is not very polite, grateful or diplomatic of me.

Thanks for the idea and I'll keep a look out for a helpful LR Rudolph.

In the meantime, Stephen Edwin would rather like to find a way to fit up a winch and be able to do the job as and when required. Has anyone ever fitted a winch to the back of a 240 estate for lowering a trailer down a slope?
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 20:52   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

I have a little winch on my car trailer and it came with an attachment to fit it onto a towbar but as said it is only electric to pull rather than retract altho it can be done manually
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 21:09   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
I have a little winch on my car trailer and it came with an attachment to fit it onto a towbar but as said it is only electric to pull rather than retract altho it can be done manually
Thanks.

I've seen one like that on eBay. It looks nifty. I thougtt I'd solved this when I saw that until I found it is not for lowering. That's life. I guess pulling is most people's problem with trailers.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 08:05   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

What distance are we talking about - 20 feet? 100 yards?

I'd use an old fashioned block and tackle, with a reasonably thick rope you can get a grip on, and just pay it out slowly. You probably need an assistant to steer the trailer.
You can get blocks with a locking catch, which hold when you move the line of pull, like a window blind.

Or use a winch from a dinghy trailer. You can release the catch and then very carefully unwind the handle, like releasing an over-wound clock spring.

I can tell you how NOT to do it - by releasing the trailer brake and holding it partly on with you finger on the button as you stagger down the slope trying not to trip over.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 17:24   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

deleted

Last edited by Derek UK; Oct 31st, 2017 at 17:28.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 17:27   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

If the winch is on the trailer, can't you just put the end of the cable around the tow bar ball and reverse the winch? If it doesn't power backwards it should have a brake? Or put the trailer on the ball and reverse down. Am I missing something here?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 15:48   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
What distance are we talking about - 20 feet? 100 yards?

I'd use an old fashioned block and tackle, with a reasonably thick rope you can get a grip on, and just pay it out slowly. You probably need an assistant to steer the trailer.
You can get blocks with a locking catch, which hold when you move the line of pull, like a window blind.

Or use a winch from a dinghy trailer. You can release the catch and then very carefully unwind the handle, like releasing an over-wound clock spring.

I can tell you how NOT to do it - by releasing the trailer brake and holding it partly on with you finger on the button as you stagger down the slope trying not to trip over.
I really must measure that drive....

The dingy trailer winch might be the answer. I should find someone using one and ask if they would demonstrate so I will know the real life reality.

The block and tackle is also interesting. And the sort of locking block thingy could be very good.

Trailer brake - what trailer brake ....

Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 15:52   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If the winch is on the trailer, can't you just put the end of the cable around the tow bar ball and reverse the winch? If it doesn't power backwards it should have a brake? Or put the trailer on the ball and reverse down. Am I missing something here?
Wherever the winch is fitted, most say not for lowering. But see above I am going to find a helpful dingy owner as ask for a real world demonstration.

I have not see even our intrepid friendly Disco driver try to reverse the trailer down that drive....and he's a dab hand at reversing the trailer.

Thanks.