Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ecm6805

Views : 749

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2017, 10:35   #1
boombox

Default Ecm6805

Seem to be having intermittent problems with this error. Always under high revs for example putting foot down to join motorway traffic.

I have done a lot of research into it on this forum and elsewhere and have come to the conclusion it could well be caused by partially blocked up EGR valve pipes.

Do people recommend the cleaning spray that Halfords sell?
Alternatively could I blank off the EGR or would this procedure not work on this engine?

It's a 2004 V70 2.5 D5.

I'm in Yorkshire and would dearly like to see someone, preferable a competent indie who could diagnose and repair this problem without presenting me with a huge bill for something they've decided is the likely problem without actually knowing for sure, only for the problem to reappear a month or two later.

Thanks
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 11:28   #2
Longhouse21
Master Member

I take it that your research included the sticky at the top of the forum?
There are a list of checks to make:
vacuum system - check for leaks at engine mounts, and pipework; correct vacuum & operation of the TGV and engine mount control valves; split hoses, soft hoses on the cold air charge system; intercooler leaks;
Also check the air intake & exhaust system as ECM6805 points to an imbalance between calculated and measured air flow - blocked air filter; blocked exhaust, MAF & MAP sensors.
The fuel system has been implemented in some cases - check injector operation (leak back test); fuel filter & delivery system.
I've suffered with this twice and both instances it was an aftermarket CAT failure so I went back to a second hand Volvo unit.
ECM6805 can be difficult to track down...
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 14:27   #3
boombox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
There are a list of checks to make
Thanks for your reply, Longhouse21. Can I ask your opinion on the EGR cleaning sprays? Are these a good idea? Is it just moving the muck into a more delicate part of the engine?
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 14:43   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

you can get the egr mapped out.
you can block the Egr but leave a small hole in the centre for some of the gases to escape, this might help the emmision light not to come on .
you can clean the Egr yourself.
Mike
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 17:55   #5
gammakeith

As longhouse says ECM6805 is not a lot of help for diagnosis so its a case of working through the possibles. In addition to his excellent list of things that can cause it I will also add sticking turbo vanes. Basically, the vanes do not move quickly enough to the low boost position when really booting it so you get overboost and the above code (along with temporary limp mode).

If you observe the turbo actuator when the car starts if should rapidly and smoothly move to the high boost position. If (like mine) it slowly lurches to position then your problem is likely to be sticking vanes.......

Keith
gammakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 19:16   #6
Longhouse21
Master Member

At one point, I stripped out the EGR valve assembly and the mixing chamber on the front of the engine (the bit that most people refer to when they perform a clean).

As Mike (outnumbered) says, you can clean it out yourself. I "washed" through the EGR assembly & mixing port with carb cleaner spray with it removed from the car. The bit I didn't get to clean was the area downstream of the mixing port into the inlet manifold as the downstream pipework looked relatively clean on mine.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 20:32   #7
sreviz
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
At one point, I stripped out the EGR valve assembly and the mixing chamber on the front of the engine (the bit that most people refer to when they perform a clean).

As Mike (outnumbered) says, you can clean it out yourself. I "washed" through the EGR assembly & mixing port with carb cleaner spray with it removed from the car. The bit I didn't get to clean was the area downstream of the mixing port into the inlet manifold as the downstream pipework looked relatively clean on mine.
As others said , it is hard to track.
6805 fault can be many reasons. Invest in mityvac mv8500. This will pin point if there is any vacuum related issue which leads to 6805 fault.
With this you can eliminate Turbo governor, turbo valve or solenoid, front engine mount, rear engine mount, vacuum pump itself.
Using this gauge you can measure the vacuum which I
Remeber 25hg at every point.

If you eliminate all above it might be thehose blown or sticky vanes .

Hope this helps.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 21:15   #8
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreviz View Post
...Invest in mityvac mv8500. This will pin point if there is any vacuum related issue which leads to 6805 fault.
With this you can eliminate Turbo governor, turbo valve or solenoid, front engine mount, rear engine mount, vacuum pump itself....
You can also use it to check for sticking vanes. Connect to the turbo vacuum port and gradually increase the vacuum. The control rod should move smoothly up & down throughout the range and somewhere within ViDA it gives the stroke length / vacuum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post: