Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!!! HELP!!! 960KG, GATOS.anyone with knowledge.. no clutch

Views : 18596

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 23:15   #11
v40bart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
thanks gatos.if i am lucky enough to have a leak where the hose leads to the slave cylinder.would you know what the name of the part is i should be asking for,and should i go to my main dealer for it.is the part easy enough to remove(novice)....and what are the chances of two novices(the chuckle brothers) tackling a job like removing the gearbox.or is there a risk in trying this......could i clean a clutch or is it capput once it has been contaminated...it sounds like a garage is going to be too expensive...thanks........thanks biotoxic i will definately be checking for any leaks before we or anyone else attempts the gearbox....what a very helpful forum
Absolutely DIY-able. Just replaced a clutch on my V50 on my own. Thrust bearing/slave is around 75 quid. Two of you can easily do the job in a day. You might as well do the clutch if your car is high milage.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 23:22   #12
neanderthal
Master Member

gatos you have helped me so much on this forum,and am very grateful to you.i will have a look in the morning with my brother and let you all know the score....i knight you.....sir gatos.......thanks everyone...
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 23:30   #13
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40bart View Post
Absolutely DIY-able. Just replaced a clutch on my V50 on my own. Thrust bearing/slave is around 75 quid. Two of you can easily do the job in a day. You might as well do the clutch if your car is high milage.
thanks v40bart thats good to know.if we have to do it,then we will.as its a good car and it seems the garage will be dear.....its good to know that if we do get stuck i'me sure this forum sight will guide us
The Following User Says Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 00:03   #14
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
gatos you have helped me so much on this forum,and am very grateful to you.i will have a look in the morning with my brother and let you all know the score....i knight you.....sir gatos.......thanks everyone...
Don't be too quick to thank me. I hope that this is the problem and nothing more. Siamblue was very kind to come over mine a few weeks ago and we took out the gearbox. We had no special equipment/hoist etc, but we still managed to removed it in the end. But if I was to do it on my own, I wouldn't have the balls to do it. However I am sure that it is easier to remove than put it back together

By the way, don't you have VADIS? It is very very helpful.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 00:35   #15
neanderthal
Master Member

hi gatos,i downloaded vadis from (pb) but cannot get it to do anything so i gave up....i knew you had something, from a problem i had weeks ago....i have never attempted a gearbox,so if it comes to it i am hoping my brother who is coming tomorrow will help..but if its going to take a day,plus cash,it could be a few days before we can attempt it....there is one thing,will there be enough room in the engine bay to get the gearbox out once i remove the battery etc etc
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 00:51   #16
gatos
Premier Member

You will have to raise the car, remove the wheel, remove the support member, remove the driveshaft...... See attached vadis info

Check out this guide for VADIS istallation too. It might help

http://www.2shared.com/document/gunk...ion_guide.html

Also check this thread: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=vadis+windows

Quote:
i use win7 home premium 64-bit, go to troubleshoot and tick the program that doesn`t run and it will ask what OS ran it ok before, so put XP and it will open and run in that mode
it will not run fully or at all with IE9, use IE8 or Firefox latest as i do
Quote:
i used to run Vadis on WinXP SP3 32-bit with no problems at all
Now i run it on Win7 64-bit IE8 or earlier
Vadis is will not run properly on IE9 but it is not Vadis being fussy it is the latest IE what is at fault because i used the 9 for a few hours and some other of my programs would not work to there full capacity either it is IE9 which is crap, Vadis will load and work ok until you need an answer to a problem then it won`t open it, with IE8 no problem
In my limited experience with IT Win7 64-bit is great for me although PC world says you need all later programs for them to run but i only bought Office2010 you will find on Win7 that a menu opens if an old program will not run and you can put it in XP mode for it to work and that is not on PRO or Ultimate just the Home Premium SP1 Win7
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gearbox.pdf (1.44 MB, 79 views)

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Oct 8th, 2011 at 00:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:23   #17
neanderthal
Master Member

BLOODY HELL FIREme and my brother are neanderthals.as we have never attempted anything like this,i am going to have to find someone who knows what they are doing.it definately wont be a garage now ive seen the info you have posted £££...thanks for the pdf file and the vadis information.i am going to go offline now and sleep on all the info.thanks gatos and everyone else,i will get back to you all soon whether we are succesful or not....regards
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:25   #18
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
BLOODY HELL FIREme and my brother are neanderthals.as we have never attempted anything like this,i am going to have to find someone who knows what they are doing.it definately wont be a garage now ive seen the info you have posted £££...thanks for the pdf file and the vadis information.i am going to go offline now and sleep on all the info.thanks gatos and everyone else,i will get back to you all soon whether we are succesful or not....regards
lol. Trust me, I am a Neanderthal too when it comes to cars. If it wasn't for Siamblue, I would not have been able to do it. If you take your time it can be done, but it is not the easiest of jobs to do, nor the hardest. Now, I have done it, I would be able to repeat this feat again.... It was lots of fun for sure.

Anyway, you don't have to remove the gearbox to change the plastic part I have mentioned above. You can change it with the gearbox still on. You will only have to remove the whole gearbox if the problem is not that small plastic bit

Nullius in Verba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 11:55   #19
960kg
Premier Member

i have read all this thread with interest and although i am too late to help but just had a thought looking on
that plastic piece removed by taking out the securing clip one has to hope that the "O" ring might have failed which is inside where it goes onto the slave cylinder
it would be a dream come true if it has and perhaps try a new one or even the whole plastic piece you removed from your own box gatos before neanderthal ripping out his gearbox!!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 12:55   #20
gatos
Premier Member

That is why I am a Neanderthal too.....lol. I called that o-ring a seal. Thanks for pointing that out 960kg. The o-ring is very small and is where the yellow arrow points. I wish too that it either the o-ring or the black plastic joint. Gearbox removal should only be required if there is no fault there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3395.JPG (236.0 KB, 104 views)

Nullius in Verba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: