Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!!! HELP!!! 960KG, GATOS.anyone with knowledge.. no clutch

Views : 18766

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2011, 13:44   #21
neanderthal
Master Member

update.....thanks 960kg for the info.and gatos for the picture...i removed that plastic thing(picture 1) this morning and it looks fine.put it back together and my brother pumped the clutch pedal.no fluid came out where the plastic thing goes.but plenty of fluid was coming out of(it seems)the clutch housing near the base of the engine....does that make sense(see picture 2)....based on this info,shall i still change that o ring and plastic thing.thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2270.jpg (181.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2273.jpg (192.3 KB, 25 views)
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 14:05   #22
v40bart
Master Member

It is definately a slave cylinder fail, which makes it a gearbox off job. You would not loose so much fluid from busted a o-ring.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 14:09   #23
gatos
Premier Member

I have uploaded the wrong image in post 10. This is the correct one...

I will have a look now on my spare gearbox to see if anything can be done from outside the gearbox.

With some luck it will be part 6 (snap-on coupling).

If not, then we are looking at either part 9 (sealing ring) or part 5 slave cylinder/release bearing unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
update.....thanks 960kg for the info.and gatos for the picture...i removed that plastic thing(picture 1) this morning and it looks fine.put it back together and my brother pumped the clutch pedal.no fluid came out where the plastic thing goes.but plenty of fluid was coming out of(it seems)the clutch housing near the base of the engine....does that make sense(see picture 2)....based on this info,shall i still change that o ring and plastic thing.thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot-1.jpg (91.1 KB, 51 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 14:27   #24
gatos
Premier Member

I removed the cylinder/release bearing unit so you have an idea of what you can't see. The fact that you say that most of the fluid comes from inside the gearbox, leads me to believe that your fault is here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3397.jpg (278.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3398.jpg (270.8 KB, 22 views)

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:05   #25
neanderthal
Master Member

thanks for your time and effort gatos,does this mean as v40bart says its a gearbox job now.and i need a slave cylinder bearing,or should i try the other things you've mentioned(6 and9)....sorry for sounding thick,but also, how come fluid is managing to escape out of the gearbox or clutch housing,when you would think these would be tightly sealedime concerned i might be missing something...as i cannot pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from...thanks once again all
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:05   #26
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I am too sorry to say it is the worst scenario, your clutch friction plate will be contaminated now as well, i know a guy in Coalville that could do the job for you, but he is always unindated with work.
The bearing alone is going to cost you around a £100, so you might as well buy a complete clutch from Rufe...

Gary.

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SIAMBLUE For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:32   #27
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
thanks for your time and effort gatos,does this mean as v40bart says its a gearbox job now.and i need a slave cylinder bearing,or should i try the other things you've mentioned(6 and9)....sorry for sounding thick,but also, how come fluid is managing to escape out of the gearbox or clutch housing,when you would think these would be tightly sealedime concerned i might be missing something...as i cannot pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from...thanks once again all
We can never be 100% accurate diagnosing a problem over the internet but I am afraid that yes it is a greabox job. I also have to agree with Siamblue's and v40bart's suggestions.

I think you are doing the same mistake as I did when I took my gearbox out with siamblue. If you look at the photo, you will see that about 1/3 of the gearbox looks kind of hollow. That is where the slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate are located. If you could see what is hidden and sealed behind the slave cylinder, you would find all the gears and pulleys etc.

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:56   #28
960kg
Premier Member

looking at that photo of the bell housing where the clutch slave cylinder is situated even if that snap on part number 6 was knackered that large sleeve would keep the oil outside the housing so yes, as others have said now it must be the slave cylinder gone west

real shame it could not of been the simpler smaller parts as usually it is false economy not to renew the whole clutch components while the box is removed

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 15:58   #29
neanderthal
Master Member

OH DEAR!!!thanks everyone for all the information and pictures,it is going to be a great help.i am waiting for someone to get back to me and i will print all this information off and show him it..thanks for the pdf file gatos on how to remove the gearbox.i will check with rufe on that clutch.quoting c3.i will make sure ime sat down.will let you know the outcome in time.what a great forum thanks to all replysps...thanks 960kg i will have the clutch replaced.yes it makes sense.

Last edited by neanderthal; Oct 8th, 2011 at 16:01.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 23:17   #30
v40bart
Master Member

Make sure you order the rear crankshaft oil seal just in case. I didn't expect it on a 40k car, but my one was already sweating some oil, just a little. I couldn't get one on a Saturday so I put the car back together without replacing it. I hope it holds or I am facing doing the job again in not to distant future. As you are most likely getting the tranny out get a new clutch kit, slave/thrust bearing and the oil seal. Try www.buypartsby.co.uk