Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver's seat airbag...

Views : 624

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2020, 15:44   #1
Vintoni

Default Driver's seat airbag...

Hi all

I have a 1997 Volvo 940 LPT estate and one of the cables in the driver's side electric seat that moves it forwards and backwards has snapped and the SRS light is now on in the dash.

I've just had the seat out to see if I can repair the cable but the motors look like sealed units and I don't think it's possible. I'm not too bothered as the seat is currently stuck all the way back and I'm quite tall but the issue I have is with the SRS light. Which wires are for the airbag? I'm going to just solder a resistor in.

I have attached a photo.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6854.jpg (203.5 KB, 15 views)
Vintoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:41   #2
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Seat airbag

The airbags in the seat of a 940 are mechanically actuated, so they are not connected to the SRS light at all.
A few years ago I took the attched photo in the Volvo museum in Göteborg. In the front you can see the yellow actuator device. On a side impact a pin in this actuator is pushed in by a filling block located inside the door. This will activate the seat airbag, nothing electric involved.
By the way, when you take out the seat, don't let is drop on the actuator side, as this might activate the airbag as well. You probably found a red cap hidden somewhere behind the plastic side cover. This cap can be used to cover and secure the actuator when the seat is out of the car.
Did you by any chance have the steering wheel removed? It takes a special precaution not to damage the airbag contact reel when removing the steering wheel. If you do not follow this, the contact reel will be damaged and the SRS will light up.
I am not sure about a RHD car, but on a LHD the airbag control module is located on the floor, underneath the driver seat. It has its own, rather thick orange coloured cabling system, separate from the other wire looms.
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIPS airbag.jpg (184.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Rversteeg; May 20th, 2020 at 12:23.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 10:37   #3
griston64
Premier Member

On my right hand drive car it was under passenger seat
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 11:35   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

In connection with the original fault, I’m pretty sure the fore/aft adjustment of the driver’s seat is an MOT item. I have had to repair mine twice.

The first time one of the wires to the motor had sheared off quite near to the motor housing. It was fixable with a standard terminal block. Crimping or soldering would also have been an option.

The next time the flexible driveshaft from the motor to the seat back adjuster failed. All that had happened was that the shaft had slipped inside its outer sheath. This is apparently quite a common problem. I just pulled mine back into position and it has been fine since. I also took the opportunity to clean and lubricate the mechanism.

The worst part is having to dismantle the seat sufficiently to access the mechanism. The seat cover/cushion is held in position by a metal rod along the lower front of the seat. This is tricky to remove and even harder to reinsert. To access the mechanism in the back some rather awkward hog rings have to be removed. I replaced these with cable ties which will be much easier just to snip should I need to get at it again.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 16:00   #5
Vintoni

The metal cable inside the sheath has sheared off and is therefore fubar. I will need to try and acquire a new one from somewhere but they appear to be quite rare.

If there is nothing to do with the SRS light down there then why has the SRS light become illuminated ever since the cable snapped?
Old May 20th, 2020, 18:21   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

Folk have already mentioned that there is an airbag crash sensor under the seat. You may have damaged or disconnected it when removing the seat. As you’re in France is your car left-hand drive? If so, then maybe re-read Rversteeg‘s post.

The electric seat is nice(ish) while it works but I have always thought the most straightforward repair would be to replace it with the far more common manually adjustable seat from a scrapper. You could almost certainly transfer the seat covers to match your existing upholstery.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 15:03   #7
Vintoni

The SRS light came on when the cable snapped. I did not touch the seat until two days ago. The light has been on for months so the point about damaging or disconnecting the sensor is moot.

My car is RHD

If I wanted a manual seat I would have fitted one.

I'm just trying to figure out why the SRS light is on as this will be an MOT failure. If I can't fix the issue I need to know which wires to solder a resistor onto so the car still thinks there is an airbag attached.
Old May 25th, 2020, 12:21   #8
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Belt tensioners

I just realized that besides seat airbags your car also has belt tensioners. Contrary to the seat airbags they are electrically activated from the same crash senso underneath the left front seat. The belt tensioner modules are located in the left and right B-pillar.
The driver side tensioner module is connected to the crash sensor with two wires (pink and blue). These wires are not attached to the seat, but as they are close, could either of these has been damaged?
In the electric diagram I can only find one component that is shared by the SRS system and the seat adjustment. There is a connector C9 near the fuse/relay rack with three wires coming from the crash sensor and one wire (black/white) coming from another connector that connects the electric seat.
Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: