Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thoughts on cylinder head

Views : 1099

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2020, 21:51   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Thoughts on cylinder head

One of the 940s I bought to break was a 1992 Wentworth pickup truck, it was registered as a 2.0 but it had a 2.3 turbo engine with a 531 head, 90+ manifold and 13c turbo.

I have finally looked at the head properly today and discovered it is going to need a lot of work.

It has some serious corrosion
Cylinder 3 spark plug has been cross threaded
Exhaust manifold stud snapped off
Missing studs

531 cylinder head by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Technically it was a free 531 head so no great loss if it is beyond repair but what are others thoughts on it?
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 22:11   #2
Chooch84
940 Noob

Keep it!

Snapped exhaust manifold bolts aren't an issue they can be dissolved out using alum powder. Missing studs can be ordered, if there's enough meat on the thread tap it out, or get a thread repair kit.

The corrosion isn't too much of an issue as long as it doesn't impact the head gasket sealing. The corrosion in the water jacket could be welded, then I'd give it a skim, for added security use some "Permatex copper spray-a-gasket" if you decide to use it.

It would be a shame for it to become a doorstop!

16 BMW 330e

Last edited by Chooch84; May 19th, 2020 at 22:13. Reason: stated "head bolts" where I should have stated exhaust manifold
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 00:12   #3
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Looks like it might have been a Penta?

I'd bin it, to be honest.

(But I've got things wrong before ...)

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 02:32   #4
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I'm with the Cooch.

None of those things on their own is a serious issue. Helicoils are still a thing, so that sorts the spark plug issue.

The studs are a straightforward engineering fix.

I would pickle the head first to really clean it up then a good close inspection of the waterways etc to confirm it hasn't gone porous. If it looks good, send it out for the required remedial work - welding, skim, valve seat restore and the studs/plug thread if you don't feel like doing it yourself.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 02:54   #5
940volvoman
Master Member

I bought a Sealy reverse thread tap for the spark plugs as my no1 plug was cross threaded when head gasket was last replaced.
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:56   #6
deeman940
Master Member

Is it really worth converting? Are the gains worth it? i haven't really looked into it massively but for what i want to achieve i figured not but you are handier with spanners than me Luke....which makes a difference when making these decisions
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 07:18   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
I'm with the Cooch.

None of those things on their own is a serious issue. Helicoils are still a thing, so that sorts the spark plug issue.

The studs are a straightforward engineering fix.

I would pickle the head first to really clean it up then a good close inspection of the waterways etc to confirm it hasn't gone porous. If it looks good, send it out for the required remedial work - welding, skim, valve seat restore and the studs/plug thread if you don't feel like doing it yourself.
I can do the thread repair and studs myself it is just the welding I wouldn't be able to do sadly.

That pickling process sounds interesting, I will have to look in to it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Is it really worth converting? Are the gains worth it? i haven't really looked into it massively but for what i want to achieve i figured not but you are handier with spanners than me Luke....which makes a difference when making these decisions
The 531 head does flow a lot better than a standard 530, a ported and polished 530 would do the job but if I'm doing that why not do it to a free 531 head that's sat on the bench and keep the car running to do it rather than taking the 940 apart to do it.

I'm not sure what the performance gains would be in standard form but it certainly will do something.

I mainly want to fit it as I don't want to waste a 531 and chances are I won't get another one. I really regret selling my 111k mile 531 head a few years ago now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 07:35   #8
230ina245

Hi Luke
As I understand it, a standard 351 head has the potential to flow more than the standard 530. The problem is that the standard inlet manifold and/or standard cams do not let it realise it's full potential. It needs a cam with more lift. If you're building an engine that can take advantage of these features then great, if it's just going on an otherwise standard engine then you probably won't notice the difference.
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:44   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230ina245 View Post
Hi Luke
As I understand it, a standard 351 head has the potential to flow more than the standard 530. The problem is that the standard inlet manifold and/or standard cams do not let it realise it's full potential. It needs a cam with more lift. If you're building an engine that can take advantage of these features then great, if it's just going on an otherwise standard engine then you probably won't notice the difference.
Tim
Same advice I've been given by a very well experienced engine builder. He built the 940 rally car I posted pictures of a while back. He even said that porting and polishing on a redblock doesn't make enough difference to warrant it
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:59   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm looking at fitting an IPD turbo cam at the same time and potentially bigger valves. All very expensive so definitely a long term project, the goal is somewhere in the 250-300hp region.

I have the following I need to fit:

Gold EZK
3" stainless exhaust
531 head
Garret T3 from a 760 (probably get turned in to a t3/t4 hybrid)

I will need the ECU & EZK chips and the head work done plus injectors and I reckon it should be near those figures.

As far as I know the 3 inch MAF isn't needed for those figures, IIRC Lolvo940 is running a standard MAF and 310hp

Last edited by 360beast; May 20th, 2020 at 09:03.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: