Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 mk2 D5 bearing failure

Views : 1529

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 20:31   #31
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthv50 View Post
I'm going to buy a new crank pulley from volvo because I can't find any pattern parts for it, that is £270, and get it fitted on Wednesday. If that doesn't cure it then both of those parts will be in the firing line. Im basically going cheapest to move expensive. I kind of ruled out the alternator because its mounted so high up I can pretty much put my ear to it, and it didn't sound like it was coming from that, I ruled out the AC pump because it still did it with the AC turned off. At least that is my wishful thinking that it's not going to cost me anymore money.

I know this is a volvo forum, but I think this issue with the recently parking brake wire failure has made me look around and what I am replacing it with and that time is coming sooner than I had originally planned. I would have considered an electric XC60 but that doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon.
I'd keep your cash in your pocket. Let the garage diagnose the noise properly on Wednesday. Spending £270 on a crank pulley, when it could be perfectly fine, seems like a waste of money to me.

Diagnose and then repair, otherwise it'll just end up a parts cannon. Hopefully you'll know on Wednesday when its in the garage. Don't buy any more parts for it until they do their testing.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 20:34   #32
anthv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I'd keep your cash in your pocket. Let the garage diagnose the noise properly on Wednesday. Spending £270 on a crank pulley, when it could be perfectly fine, seems like a waste of money to me.

Diagnose and then repair, otherwise it'll just end up a parts cannon. Hopefully you'll know on Wednesday when its in the garage. Don't buy any more parts for it until they do their testing.
im going to give them a ring on monday and ask if its worth me getting it in, I would rather it was there and ready so the fix is quicker rather than waiting on parts. If they say they can get the part quickly ill let them do it.

now a none volvo owner
anthv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 20:46   #33
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
im going to give them a ring on monday and ask if its worth me getting it in, I would rather it was there and ready so the fix is quicker rather than waiting on parts. If they say they can get the part quickly ill let them do it.
I think they'd want to diagnose it properly first before telling you order anything. I understand that you're keen to get it back on the road.

If you do decide to get the crank pulley, keep the receipt so you can at least return it and get your money back if it turns out its not that. Just try to keep the packing in a decent state. Lol.

I wish you luck. Hopefully its not too expensive of a fix. Keep us posted.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 21:04   #34
johnnyoro

Quote:
Absolutely do not spend any more money until it is properly diagnosed. The crank pulley is a very unlikely cause , You have already replaced the tensioner pulley, do a proper check on the alternator and aircon pulley , I still reckon that one of them is the more likely culprit .
johnnyoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 17:21   #35
anthv50

Crank pulley is the culprit. Garage said it was clearly broken, car is still in they had to wait for the replacement to arrive. I’ll get it back tomorrow morning. Total cost inc labour is about £400.

now a none volvo owner
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthv50 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 22:33   #36
Kev0607
Premier Member

Good to hear its nothing too serious then.

Result.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:53   #37
anthv50

Documenting for reference incase anyone else has this issue. The metal inner part had detached from the middle rubber part. They should be bonded and mine had separated so could spin independently.

Video is poor but it gives you an idea.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

now a none volvo owner
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 15:32   #38
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen crank pulley movement like that on a 7 year old car. I guess there's a first time for everything!