Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lots of fault messages

Views : 14514

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2012, 16:01   #1
adye

Default Lots of fault messages

55 plate V50 2.0D. 105,000 miles
Car broke down 5 months ago and ended up at Volvo main dealers.
Dash warning messages :
Anti Skid service required
Brake failure. Stop safely
Engine system service required
Wipers came on on their own. Car just went to tickover, would not rev and crawled to side of road.
Main dealer cleared loads of fault codes ,could not find any particular problem, downloaded latest software and away we went !
Didn't really fill me full of confidence !!
In the mean time the car has generally been ok but occasionally runs a bit lumpy and on one occasion would not rev beyond 2500rpm.
Now broken down again ,exactly same as before. been recovered to main dealers again.
Could it be something simple like a battery fault or bad earth ?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
adye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 17:20   #2
v40bart
Master Member

Typical symptom of a faulty CEM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 18:54   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40bart View Post
Typical symptom of a faulty CEM.
+1

Yip, unfortunately it is typical symptoms of a faulty CEM. This will cost about £600 at the Dealers.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 20:20   #4
adye

Thanks for the advice and prompt replies.
Will be speaking to the dealers tomorrow.
adye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 21:38   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adye View Post
Thanks for the advice and prompt replies.
Will be speaking to the dealers tomorrow.
If it does turn out to need a new CEM then have a serious word with the dealer about being re-imbursed for the previous visit - it is obviously the same problem??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:21   #6
spokoluzik
Trader

If is CEM issue let me know can end up with much lower bill...

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:23   #7
jonel

I had exactly the same messages coming up and the car behaved in exactly the same way (same model and year of car) and I have just had the CEM changed (over £700!) and it seems to have cured the problems. Time will tell!
jonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:48   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Dash warning messages :
Wipers came on on their own. Car just went to tickover, would not rev and crawled to side of road.
Main dealer cleared loads of fault codes ,could not find any particular problem, downloaded latest software and away we went !
In the mean time the car has generally been ok but occasionally runs a bit lumpy and on one occasion would not rev beyond 2500rpm.
Now broken down again ,exactly same as before. been recovered to main dealers again.
remove the air filter assy , check the whole engine bay loom everywhere for rubbing around the gearbox area AND on the sharp AC Pipe crimps behind the right hand headlamp , also in the same area the loom runs over the sharp chassis edge .
if you push and pull the loom to move it , even if te CAN network is earthing out , the fact you have moved it could well cure it for the rest of the cars life .
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 15:57   #9
DJmedV50

Default Last Straw

I have had almost exactly the same fault and set of warning messages. I was just starting on a journey and suddenly the car gave the "brake failure - stop safely" message and stopped responding to the accelerator. Other strange collections of failure messages arrived afterwards including a spell where the steering lock would not respond to the key. AA could not find what was wrong - they did not even attempt to look into the ECU - I think they have seen this many times and knew it to be a waste of time. My local man had to send the car to the main agent in Gloucester. Johnsons believe that the problem was poor contacts into the ECU as they could read codes but not communicate with the ECU otherwise. The car has been fine for several hundred miles since.

However, I have no confidence that it will not happen again and, on thinking about it, had this occurred travelling down the centre lane of a busy M5 at 70mph (outside lane averages 15 mph faster!) I could have caused a pile up and injured others or myself or worse.

To me the engineering in this car is unacceptable. I have driven the car only 13500 miles since I bought it. In that time it has had a DPF sensor failure that put the car in a dangerous position whilst overtaking an articulated lorry, the 150amp alternator blew a rectifier diode at 77000 miles, the above problem happened, and now I have a knocking antiroll bar tie rod ball joint. The failure rate is so poor that it has to go in the bin - the most fragile undurable and most dangerous car I have ever owned. If you transferred the failure rate to an airliner jet engine each engine would have about 25 serious failures in a nornal service interval.

Hopefully my next post will be saying goodbye to the forum and anything Volvo.
DJmedV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 16:07   #10
RSYOO

Quote:
Dash warning messages :
The exact same thing happened to my 2005 2.0D V50, had it tested at garage , nothing found on diagnostic, runs lumpy too. did you get to the bottom of thid problem? bob
RSYOO is offline   Reply With Quote