Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lots of fault messages

Views : 14511

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 16:41   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

did you check out my post#8 above ?
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 08:54   #12
johngm

Bought our V50 from a dealer in August 2012 and within 3 weeks had this same problem.Firstly they changed the accellerator pedal assay;cleared fault codes and was ok for a few weeks.Same problem has now occured 4 times but also had alternator fail as well.Now 6 months later still get same fault. Taken legal advise but because more than 6 months, I now have to prove that this is the same fault.Is there anywhere that can properly bench test a ECM? I don`t think that garages are capable of dealing with advanced electronics and I need an independant opinion.
johngm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 16:15   #13
v50inred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmedV50 View Post
I have had almost exactly the same fault and set of warning messages. I was just starting on a journey and suddenly the car gave the "brake failure - stop safely" message and stopped responding to the accelerator. Other strange collections of failure messages arrived afterwards including a spell where the steering lock would not respond to the key. AA could not find what was wrong - they did not even attempt to look into the ECU - I think they have seen this many times and knew it to be a waste of time. My local man had to send the car to the main agent in Gloucester. Johnsons believe that the problem was poor contacts into the ECU as they could read codes but not communicate with the ECU otherwise. The car has been fine for several hundred miles since.

However, I have no confidence that it will not happen again and, on thinking about it, had this occurred travelling down the centre lane of a busy M5 at 70mph (outside lane averages 15 mph faster!) I could have caused a pile up and injured others or myself or worse.

To me the engineering in this car is unacceptable. I have driven the car only 13500 miles since I bought it. In that time it has had a DPF sensor failure that put the car in a dangerous position whilst overtaking an articulated lorry, the 150amp alternator blew a rectifier diode at 77000 miles, the above problem happened, and now I have a knocking antiroll bar tie rod ball joint. The failure rate is so poor that it has to go in the bin - the most fragile undurable and most dangerous car I have ever owned. If you transferred the failure rate to an airliner jet engine each engine would have about 25 serious failures in a nornal service interval.

Hopefully my next post will be saying goodbye to the forum and anything Volvo.
And you think that other makes of car don't sometimes have problems?

As you mention 13500miles and then 77000 miles I assume you bought the vehicle second hand?

Your issues may have more to do with what the previous owner did to the car.

And a car has nothing to do with an aircraft.

Even the Saab references to aircraft was just clever advertising.

There are many more people that have had no issues whatsoever with their Volvo, V50 or otherwise.

As I learned to drive in a 1.4 340 DL on a C plate and have driven one or two 940 or 740 vehicles with over a 100k I can assure you quality has indeed improved.

Just my opinion.

Oh yes, Goodbye.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:47   #14
ejog

Default Try this as a universal remedy

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. Called the AA and he rummaged around under the bonnet etc and found nothing. Then the car re-started. He consulted his laptop and looked in the footwell of the passenger seat, reached up and the engine went into panic display. He did something else, and all was well. There's a connection box tucked away up there under the glove compartment, exactly where it's easy to kick it without realising. It seems most of the control leads go through it through two connectors. Disturb these, and anything can happen - wipers start, engine goes into limp mode, you name it. He pushed the connectors well in and it's been fine since.
I suggest that's your first stop!
ejog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 16:15   #15
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejog View Post
I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. Called the AA and he rummaged around under the bonnet etc and found nothing. Then the car re-started. He consulted his laptop and looked in the footwell of the passenger seat, reached up and the engine went into panic display. He did something else, and all was well. There's a connection box tucked away up there under the glove compartment, exactly where it's easy to kick it without realising. It seems most of the control leads go through it through two connectors. Disturb these, and anything can happen - wipers start, engine goes into limp mode, you name it. He pushed the connectors well in and it's been fine since.
I suggest that's your first stop!
That is the CEM unit...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 16:30   #16
ejog

Thanks - I didn't know that. I guess my point is that it's not necessarily the unit that's faulty, just a loose connection making it seem to be faulty.

Not Volvo's best bit of design, locating it there...
ejog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 16:33   #17
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

It gets worse really as many handy members will know because the pollen filter sits "above" the CEM unit which is another reason why it is a at risk of being a little damaged.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 13:08   #18
johngm

I hav`nt yet poked around yet myself mainly because the car came with the problem so it should be the seller,in this case a non Volvo dealer,that should sort it.However,I would like to know exactly how to see/access the plug and socket and see if I can replicate the fault.I usually end up fixing things myself!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:40   #19
signbroenrico

Smile 2006 S40 2.4i

Well,

I've had this problem for about a year, didn't have the cash to take it to the stealer. It was not a joy driving the car because it is so unreliable.

But and very big but...

I finally sorted my problem with the advise i got on this forum. Took out the ECM, unplugged everything, took it out completely and cleaned all the contacts (the connecters contacts looked fine but I cleaned them anyway) the fuses (about 30 of them) were all fine not one burnt, but the contacts on the fuses was black almost all of them. I cleand them up put everything back together and saved myself a massive bill. Car has been driving for about 200km now stopped and started about 40 times and no disco lights on my dash, no starting problmes nothing.

Thanks for the great advise. I will definitly visit this forum if I have any other issues before going to the "experts" (Stealers).

Happy driving
signbroenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to signbroenrico For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 11:16   #20
johngm

Thanks Signbroenrico.That might be helpful; but I do have reservations because our car would go hundreds of miles without a glitch, then for no reason at all the problem comes back.It did go to an independant Volvo dealer who had it for 3 weeks,said they had cleaned contacts,relays etc. drove it daily clocking up 350 miles and could`nt replicate the fault. It was OK for another 6 weeks then out of the blue, same fault again!
This is why I particularly wanted to know if there was anybody that can actually bench test an ECU. i.e. look for dry joints etc.
I`m currently using my son`s 11 year old BMW 330D; What a super car! Why did I bother with a Volvo? There is no comparison and Volvos are`nt cheap cars by any means.