Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Selected gear mode keeps jumping to Park automatically!

Views : 3791

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2023, 15:06   #1
Yelper85

Default Selected gear mode keeps jumping to Park automatically!

Hi all,

First time this happened I thought I imaged it and moved on with my life. It's now happened a second time so I know I'm not losing the plot, but it's slightly concerning.

Scenario:

Start the car, put it in any gear other than Park, so say Reverse, the cluster states it's moved to Reverse, then about a second later, it automatically jumps back to Park. No matter how fast you are or what mode, it jumps back to Park. The only way to resolve it is turn the car off and on.

Has anybody else experienced this? All doors are closed, seatbelts on etc, no messages or warnings, absolutely nothing to indicate a reason for it happening.

Cheers

Mitch

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 16:01   #2
Franko1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Hi all,

First time this happened I thought I imaged it and moved on with my life. It's now happened a second time so I know I'm not losing the plot, but it's slightly concerning.

Scenario:

Start the car, put it in any gear other than Park, so say Reverse, the cluster states it's moved to Reverse, then about a second later, it automatically jumps back to Park. No matter how fast you are or what mode, it jumps back to Park. The only way to resolve it is turn the car off and on.

Has anybody else experienced this? All doors are closed, seatbelts on etc, no messages or warnings, absolutely nothing to indicate a reason for it happening.

Cheers

Mitch
A trip to the dealer i think
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 16:36   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
A trip to the dealer i think
It's been in with the dealer for the past month (literally 4 weeks, had to have the fuel tank replaced as it put on a lovely fountain display every time you fill up).

It's been sat on their diagnostics that time and has all the updates, and they never flagged anything. Had it before when it randomly went into turtle mode and again, nothing logged so nothing to resolve. Computer says no . . .

I can't be the only one to have experienced this. Maybe I should put the lottery on?

Old Nov 8th, 2023, 18:26   #4
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
It's been in with the dealer for the past month (literally 4 weeks, had to have the fuel tank replaced as it put on a lovely fountain display every time you fill up).

It's been sat on their diagnostics that time and has all the updates, and they never flagged anything. Had it before when it randomly went into turtle mode and again, nothing logged so nothing to resolve. Computer says no . . .

I can't be the only one to have experienced this. Maybe I should put the lottery on?
You really haven't had much luck with your car at all!!

Not had that issue with either of my XC60 T8 Recharge cars and by the sounds of it it could be a real safety issue. Imagine you being driving along with some speed and it deciding to jump into Park, far from ideal.

As Franko says, looks like another trip to the dealer...........

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 20:13   #5
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
You really haven't had much luck with your car at all!!

Not had that issue with either of my XC60 T8 Recharge cars and by the sounds of it it could be a real safety issue. Imagine you being driving along with some speed and it deciding to jump into Park, far from ideal.

As Franko says, looks like another trip to the dealer...........
No I haven't, and I've just gone out to the car and what can I smell . . . petrol

It's certainly a concern that it will do it when driving, I'm just hoping based on the past two experiences that it only does it when stationary and from when the car has been turned off. That's a serious assumption though.

Based on whether the petrol smell continues, I might be heading back to the stealers sooner than desired . . .

I'll keep you informed.

Old Nov 10th, 2023, 15:13   #6
Franko1960

Quote:
No I haven't, and I've just gone out to the car and what can I smell . . . petrol

It's certainly a concern that it will do it when driving, I'm just hoping based on the past two experiences that it only does it when stationary and from when the car has been turned off. That's a serious assumption though.

Based on whether the petrol smell continues, I might be heading back to the stealers sooner than desired . . .

I'll keep you informed.
I would get Volvo to lift the car from your home. You dont want to be driving the car in its current state. Imagine what your insurance would say if you had an accident and you knew there was a major fault. Not worth the risk
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 19:28   #7
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
I would get Volvo to lift the car from your home. You dont want to be driving the car in its current state. Imagine what your insurance would say if you had an accident and you knew there was a major fault. Not worth the risk
Problem is, even if I got it lifted to the dealer, when they plug the computer in, it will just say no issue found and there's nothing more they can do.

Basically it has to fail when they drive it or it fails to a point they can go 'oh yes, we can see the issue now'. Not great when that evidence is me doing 70mph into the central reservation as it slams the anchors on automatically!

I do appreciate though, given the complexity, if there's nothing flagging and everything is up to date software wise, what else/how far can/should you go, especially when it can't be reproduced at will.

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 20:39   #8
piorunz

Given the amount of issues you are having with this particular Volvo, I wouldn't be surprised if you decided to sell it!

Mine, despite occasional spill of petrol when refuelling to the brim, drives lovely. But I have already been at dealers just to check 2023 models anyway. If it gives me any trouble, I will sell it. If I develop a serious issue which I may not be happy about, I will not be trying to be "loyal" to Volvo and will go elsewhere without hesitation. What worries me the most about driving new Volvos is their massive complexity and amount of problems people are having. Especially costly faults which may develop later in cars life. If I decide to keep mine for longer, I will make sure to extend Volvo warranty or buy a third party one. I don't want to find myself having to pay tens of thousands of pounds for mechanical and software issues, ERAD, engine problems, etc, later.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 18:08   #9
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Given the amount of issues you are having with this particular Volvo, I wouldn't be surprised if you decided to sell it!

Mine, despite occasional spill of petrol when refuelling to the brim, drives lovely. But I have already been at dealers just to check 2023 models anyway. If it gives me any trouble, I will sell it. If I develop a serious issue which I may not be happy about, I will not be trying to be "loyal" to Volvo and will go elsewhere without hesitation. What worries me the most about driving new Volvos is their massive complexity and amount of problems people are having. Especially costly faults which may develop later in cars life. If I decide to keep mine for longer, I will make sure to extend Volvo warranty or buy a third party one. I don't want to find myself having to pay tens of thousands of pounds for mechanical and software issues, ERAD, engine problems, etc, later.
I love it too much to sell it

I know not every car can be perfect, and somebody must be a 'victim' of issues, but it seems like every car I've ever owned I've been the 'victim'!!!

I know that all OEMs prioritise the better quality parts for the higher end models, including the chips and sensors, so for a car that cost me £55k I thought it would be trouble free . . .

Apparently Volvo have lowered the cost of new vehicles but in turn have reduced the interior quality, and this certainly showed in the new XC40 (73 plate) I had as a loaner. It was horrendous to look at and touch and felt like being back in my 07 plate VW which looked like it had been modelled on the arse of an elephant!

Old Nov 24th, 2023, 14:54   #10
Yelper85

Lightbulb

Quote:
I love it too much to sell it

I know not every car can be perfect, and somebody must be a 'victim' of issues, but it seems like every car I've ever owned I've been the 'victim'!!!

I know that all OEMs prioritise the better quality parts for the higher end models, including the chips and sensors, so for a car that cost me £55k I thought it would be trouble free . . .

Apparently Volvo have lowered the cost of new vehicles but in turn have reduced the interior quality, and this certainly showed in the new XC40 (73 plate) I had as a loaner. It was horrendous to look at and touch and felt like being back in my 07 plate VW which looked like it had been modelled on the arse of an elephant!
So on top of the fuel issue, charging issue, power loss issue, and gear jumping issue, I now have the following issues which have arisen overnight:

• The left-hand electric boot strut sounds like it's grinding itself to death every time we open the boot. Sounds like something is catching and being dragged along as it opens.

• Keyless entry randomly won't work

My patience is starting to be tested . . .

Oh, and it looks like the fuel fountain issue isn't fully resolved either!