Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tow bar error messages V90

Views : 445

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2024, 11:58   #1
GaryB1969

Default Tow bar error messages V90

This car seems to be wanting to self-destruct at the minute..... Latest error messages:

It's a 2022 B4 with a Volvo tow bar, today (not towing, tow bar not folded out) I keep getting error messages saying the trailer lights aren't working and the usual "rear park assist will not work as I have a trailer attached" message that I normally get when towing. But I'm not towing anything!

It's as if the car THINKS I have a trailer plugged in, it thinks this hence I get the usual message about rear park assist disabled, BUT as it cannot detect any trailer lights (because there isn't any plugged in!) it keeps telling me they aren't working.

Anyone heard of this before? I have plugged the caravan in and the lights on that work properly with the car with no error messages.

It's booked in with the dealer for the previously mentioned parking sensor/rear auto brake problem but the dealer cannot look at it until April.
GaryB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 17:16   #2
GaryB1969

OK just to add to this, the tailgate has now started closing on it's own. Twice this afternoon when in the open position it has just decided to close itself without being activated. There's obviously something amiss electrically.

All of the recent gremlins started AFTER it was jet-washed following it's main dealer service a few weeks back so it could well be water has got into somewhere that it shouldn't.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 17:18   #3
Kugaman1

As per another thread on here today, Id be doing the sunroof test I recommended to check for a drain blockage.
Kugaman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 17:56   #4
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB1969 View Post
This car seems to be wanting to self-destruct at the minute..... Latest error messages:

It's a 2022 B4 with a Volvo tow bar, today (not towing, tow bar not folded out) I keep getting error messages saying the trailer lights aren't working and the usual "rear park assist will not work as I have a trailer attached" message that I normally get when towing. But I'm not towing anything!

It's as if the car THINKS I have a trailer plugged in, it thinks this hence I get the usual message about rear park assist disabled, BUT as it cannot detect any trailer lights (because there isn't any plugged in!) it keeps telling me they aren't working.

Anyone heard of this before? I have plugged the caravan in and the lights on that work properly with the car with no error messages.

It's booked in with the dealer for the previously mentioned parking sensor/rear auto brake problem but the dealer cannot look at it until April.
Some dirt might got into either the trailer plug connector under the plastic cap or other areas around the tow bar which might cause short-circuit. I would start cleaning that area.
The Following User Says Thank You to vonRypp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 18:29   #5
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB1969 View Post
OK just to add to this, the tailgate has now started closing on it's own. Twice this afternoon when in the open position it has just decided to close itself without being activated. There's obviously something amiss electrically.

All of the recent gremlins started AFTER it was jet-washed following it's main dealer service a few weeks back so it could well be water has got into somewhere that it shouldn't.
Who jet washed it? If it was the dealer then it's 100% down to them to sort the problems and I would be pushing very hard for a priority appointment and/or a replacement car.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 18:50   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Try cleaning the tow bar electric socket pins with WD40, did you inadvertently put your foot or something under the tailgate foot operation sensor resulting in the tailgate closing.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 18:53   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I would be hunting all round the boot well for water. The tow bar electrics plug in there and there is a module to run it in that location too.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 18:58   #8
cassell
Member since 1988

I had very similar issues with my V90 with the genuine Volvo electric towbar whereby when not towing anything I regularly got the "trailer indicator light not working" also "trailer brake lights not working" messages. Like you, I plugged in my caravan and trailer and all lights worked perfectly.

It turned out to be a very slight water leak from the rear panoramic sunroof drain causing dampness on the trailer module under the offside boot floor. This was during covid when semiconductor shortages were causing parts supply problems so my Volvo dealer simply cleaned up the loom contacts on the module, rectified the leak area and the issue has never returned.

Hope this helps.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 21:01   #9
GaryB1969

Thanks folks. I located the trailer module in the O/S rear corner, unplugged everything and plugged it back in. Nothing was wet but trailer indicators still not working. It WAS the dealer that washed it but they’ve been awful regarding customer service. Fortunately I have found another dealer (Derby) who have availability on Monday afternoon so I’ll see what they can find. I’m convinced water has got somewhere. This is my second V90 and as much as I love them the experience with a certain dealer has tarnished it a bit.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 21:09   #10
GaryB1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
It turned out to be a very slight water leak from the rear panoramic sunroof drain causing dampness on the trailer module under the offside boot floor. This was during covid when semiconductor shortages were causing parts supply problems so my Volvo dealer simply cleaned up the loom contacts on the module, rectified the leak area and the issue has never returned.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, mine hasn’t got a sunroof but it really does sound like a water ingress problem somewhere. Tomorrow I’ll try warming the trailer module with a hairdryer “just in case”.