Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ideas for mounting gauges

Views : 442

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 16:22   #1
ColoradoAmazon

Default Ideas for mounting gauges

I'm looking for ideas where and how to mount gauges. Ideally I'm trying to avoid irreversible holes and cutting things up to install them. I already mounted oil pressure, water temp and volt gauges below the ashtray. I also purchased a tach and an air/fuel gauge I would like to mount.

I obviously wanted one of the Smiths 123 GT tachs but they are not easy to find. I found an Autometer tach in 2-3/8" size that looks somewhat similar but a little larger. I'm debating if I drill a hole in my dash and mount it like the 123 GT. I found a photo of it mounted near the door and that doesn't look bad.

I'm thinking mounting the air/fuel gauge (2-1/16") either on the steering column or near the other gauges under the dash.

I would like to hear ideas and see what other have done as far as location and mounting.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10_volvo_amazon_1568 (9).jpg (292.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Air-Fuel.jpg (38.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg My Volvo.jpg (106.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png Tach.png (188.9 KB, 17 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 19:18   #2
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Here's where I put my tacho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tacho.jpg (284.8 KB, 36 views)
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 13:08   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

This tach is neat and sensibly priced. With some though it could be mounted to the screen trim section that goes up the A post. Fit at the bottom close to the dash. That would save you drilling the dash pad if that is good with no splits. The air ratio gauge is overkill IMO. Finding the best position for the sender on the exhaust downpipe is rather hit or miss.

https://www.pepboys.com/sunpro-super...roduct/8345060
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 14:12   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

CA;

I must agree with Derek...once adjusted, there is little need for constant monitoring of the A/F Ratio...it doesn't change as a rule, and if it did due to something inadvertently changing at the carbs, throttle response (or noises, or other indicators) would likely give us an indication and clue to check it out...

I have located a Tach (actually an 1800 Smiths type) similar in location to that shown by Mike, at the right side of the instrument cluster:

...but on my LHD, this puts it more toward the center of the car, and line of sight, which I prefer...but again, a Tach is a "dress-up instrument", and not really a crucial instrument, unless you are going to be shifting at high revs repeatedly, and need to know RPMs accurately...after a short while, you will be shifting by the sounds from the engine compartment anyway...

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 15:23   #5
ColoradoAmazon

Mike: That is the first time I have ever seen a dash/tach combo like that. Very cool but probably unobtainium.

I agree a tach is not necessarily needed but it's nice to have. I don't have any experience with an air fuel gauge but figured I would see what it's all about. I'm curious how the ratio will change with temperature and elevation. Where I live I can go between 10,000 ft and 6,000ft in a matter of 50 miles.

Either way I have mounted the gauges in the 121. Nothing too creative, but also nothing intrusive if I want to remove them in the future. I mounted the 3 gauges in my 122 in the radio location since the dash was all butchered in that spot but didn't want to do that in the 121 just yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9942.jpg (115.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9940.jpg (123.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7460.jpg (137.0 KB, 12 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote