Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

stepper motors

Views : 5028

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:33   #1
MrP

Default stepper motors

looks like mines goosed according to the bloke at autogas 2000.

as i need a new one (at £250 or so) what exactly does it do, just control the amount of gas going into the distributor, or something more??

cheers
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:04   #2
PJPJ

Hi,

Basically ,yes.

If you strip the distributor down, the stepper motor is the part mounted on the top. When you put your foot on the gas, the stepper motor adjusts the depth of the plunger which allows more or less gas through the 'slits'

I'm pretty sure you can get them for about £50.00. I'll PM you some details.

Best Regards

PJPJ
PJPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 13:07   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

If that's Autogas 2000 as in Thirsk, North Yorks, then I'd say you're getting genuine good advice.

In over four years now as a regular Autogas 2000 customer I've come to recognise that they are the best, most honest and straightforward auto-related business that I've ever dealt with. I would trust them 100%. Noe hesitation.

And no, I don't work for them, nor do I have shares or get paid for saying nice things about them!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 13:54   #4
GavinC
GavinC

I have enjoyed dealings with Autogas 2000 at Carlton Miniott nr Thirsk over 6 years and I concur unreservedly with capt. jack. I've always found them to be unfailingly helpful, good at what they do and good value.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 00:36   #5
distazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP View Post
looks like mines goosed according to the bloke at autogas 2000.

as i need a new one (at £250 or so) what exactly does it do, just control the amount of gas going into the distributor, or something more??

cheers
Look FOR TARTARINI SPARE PARTS, Its called a Actuator, sounds like hes trying to sell u the whole unit,
distazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 19:39   #6
Dylan

Hi, When the stepper motor on my 2004 s60 failed the symtems were that the car would run on lpg for approx 10 miles and then refuse to run on lpg again untill it had cooled down(about 30 mins) The stepper motor fitted to the volvo is not the same as the necam stepper motor,it looks exactly the same and also fits the distributor,but the internal circuits are different.I do have a necam stepper motor which i bought to try,when i found it did not work on my car,i returned it to the supplier who fitted it to a car and it worked perfectly.The only solution is a volvo stepper motor approx £300 (ouch!!!!!!) If you try a parts search on google you will be offered a few secondhand for half the price of new.
Are you sure the stepper motor is faulty? All other parts of the system are reasonably easy and cheep to overhaul.
Cheers Dylan.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 16:12   #7
cjr

Default Stepper help

HI. New to the owners club so maybe I can grab some advice. Looks like you all know what your talking about. I have an s80 bi fuel and since purchasing 2nd hand the engine has fluttered. The situation got worse and now I cant run on gas as in fear of what damage could happen. A local volvo mechanic suggested the problem is the stepper and would cost £800 to replace. From the thread it sounds like I can get this or actually do this myself alot cheaper. Once replaced I was given the impression the stepper could take a while to bed in. Any advice would be greatly welcome. I am not mechanically minded so please bear that in mind ! cheers
cjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 13:41   #8
glider

I bought my S60 Bifuel 2nd hand with 76000 on the clock and had the same problems of engine cutting out at random engine speeds. Eventually, after trying a clean-out of the gas distributor, I had to have the complete gas distributor and stepper motor replaced by an LPG garage, cost £800 plus. Volvo would have charged a bit more. I was advised it was safer to replace the whole unit, instead of just the stepper motor, although it's the stepper motor which gives rise to most of the problems. I was also advised to change the two gas filters every 10 or 12000 miles too.
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 16:37   #9
cjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
I bought my S60 Bifuel 2nd hand with 76000 on the clock and had the same problems of engine cutting out at random engine speeds. Eventually, after trying a clean-out of the gas distributor, I had to have the complete gas distributor and stepper motor replaced by an LPG garage, cost £800 plus. Volvo would have charged a bit more. I was advised it was safer to replace the whole unit, instead of just the stepper motor, although it's the stepper motor which gives rise to most of the problems. I was also advised to change the two gas filters every 10 or 12000 miles too.

Glider, somebody mentioned I might not need to change stepper if gas filters replaced. Trouble is I dont know where to start as not technically minded. Can I get the filters from Volvo or are you aware of other sources ? also is there a guide or manual somewhere ? Any advice would be appreciated as do 50k miles a year...
cjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 15:10   #10
MikeHill

Hi, it seems to me to be possible that the stepper motor may struggle if the distributor is dirty or dry inside, certainly cleaning the distributor may alleviate the problem. I think that for a maximum of £30 and not too long with a screwdriver it may be worth trying the remedy I eventualy used on my wife's S80 Bifuel - you will find it outlined here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=80653&page=2

If it works for you as it did for me and clearly has done for others - please let us know.
MikeHill is offline   Reply With Quote