Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is there a 'what to look for guide' re LPG?

Views : 1189

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 13:37   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default Is there a 'what to look for guide' re LPG?

I normally reside on the 700/900 forum but noticed ref over there about the LPG forum. I'm open to considering this for our next volvo and wondered whether there is anything like a 'buyers guide' or 'what to watch for' if buying a car with LPG already fitted.

It appears that issues such as insurability are rather dependant upon which insurer is used but there are possibly some top tips to consider.

Apologies if this exists elsewhere, I've had a look back over the last 6 pages here and didn't see something akin to what I was searching for.

Any tips?
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 18:05   #2
MrP

i dont really know what to look for regarding a 3rd party install aside from a certificate saying someones checked it and its all ok.

if its a factory fit (ie is badged bi-fuel) then you cant do much more than check for regular servicing, or invoices for work done at an LPG specalist.

the factory fit models are a nice neat install, but you dont ge a spare wheel, and there not very powerfull. plus the conversion seems to be troublesome to say the least. volvo garages generally dont seem to know much about them, and charge a fortune (£95+vat an hour last time i asked) and the LPG specalists dont have the VADIS systems to check the ECU properly
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 18:10   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks, for your comments.

I was thinking of aftermarket fits, for the 700/900 range.

It used to be the case ( I think ) where a certificate was reqd to show your ins co that all was fitted well.

Since I posted I've found another post where it was said this isn't now always the case and some insurers don't worry. Apparently some consider LPG = safer driving since drivers looking for LPG cars will often drive more economically therefore slower.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:36   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

FWIW I bought a ready-converted 240. It came with the invoice from the original Dutch installers, but no actual certificate of approval. My insurers (Privilege) merely asked over the phone whether it had been done by competant installers, so I said yes, and they accepted that at no change in premium, and noted the policy accordingly. They didn't ask to see any paperwork.
It was still only registered as petrol with DVLA, so I just filled in the change box on the V5, wrote explaining that actually it was dual fuel, and sent a copy of the invoice (in Dutch). They accepted that without a quibble and it is now registered as petrol/LPG.

When I bought the car I knew nothing about LPG, and merely noted that it worked and so was really just a useful bonus like any other add-on. Now that I know a bit more about LPG generally I realise it would be worth swatting up on the different kinds (single point, open loop, closed loop, multipoint, etc) and get some kind of idea as to which kind would be appropriate for the car you are contemplating.

But if it can be demonstrated to be working, you can't really go wrong. In my experience, and from reading threads (eg there is an excellent LPG Forum) they often fall down on idling. Properly set up it should idle properly and evenly on either petrol or gas.

Be suspicious of the words "they all do that". It's an excuse for "I can't get it to work properly". It may just need tweaking by an expert, or it may be the wrong installation.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 14:33   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks for the comments, yes, it appears that idling is where a problem will most often show.

I was thinking of an already fitted system and therefore wouldn't be too chosy of its type, providing it worked.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 18:14   #6
topsy

Default LPG conversions

I have had up to now four Volvos with gas conversions. all after market.
1)740 2) 940. Turbo. 960 3Ltr and 4) V90 3 Ltr. the first three were all single point sysems and they suffer all sort of common problems not least they are prone to back firing through the inlet manifold and damaging the air cleaner box and/or the manifold connecting pipes. those first three I covered a total of about 350,000 miles and would consider it well worth it. My present car (V90) has a multi point injection system and up to now has covered almost 30,000 miles this year with no problems at all. I had it fitted when I bought the car with 96000 on the clock. I have had no experience of the Volvo built systems but I have heard as mentioned elsewhere that they do have problems and most Volvo dealerships do not have much knowledge of the systems.
Hope this helps you make up your mind but if you intend to run a big Volvo intend to keep it for a lot of mileage then a good multi point system fitted by a recognised gas installer is the way to go.
topsy is offline   Reply With Quote