Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG - The Low Down

Views : 1434

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:10   #1
CarlosEstinos

Location: From -Bangor ( N.Wales) Currently living - Aberdeen
Default LPG - The Low Down

Just recently aquired my 850 and id like to know the basics of what it would take to install a gas kit, what kinda prices would i be looking at, ie top a the range, to bottom of the range, second hand off a scrapped car?

Do the kits need to be profesionally installed?

What varying types of kit are on the market?

Sorry for the extremely basic questions, i just have no idea about gas kits! apart from that you use LPG!

Any advice gratefully recieved

Previous - 1996 Volvo 850 GLT Manual Estate 2.5 20v (White , Cream Leather Interior)
CarlosEstinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:12   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Try a pm to 'classicswede'
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:36   #3
John_C
Allons-y!

IMO it's not a DIY job unless you really know what you're doing, the consequences of a botched DIY install could be tragic - LPG turns into a heavier than air gas when it leaks so tends to "pool" in an enclosed space leading to a serious risk of an explosion.

Have a look at the FAQ's here, they're pretty comprehensive: http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/

Also this is a useful forum www.lpgforum.co.uk
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:38   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile Go-Gas!

LPG is a great idea if:

1. You plan to keep the car a long time and do a lot of miles. Payback time is around 20,000 miles. Cost to convert is around £1500. LPG costs around 10p per mile for a 2.5 n/a 850, petrol costs are nearer to 18p per mile.

2. You get it done by someone who really knows what they are doing. It can be a DIY job, but in any event you need a certificate of inspection from a registered fitter. Classicswede is de man in your part of the world.

3. You accept the loss of spare wheel and boot space.

4. You notify the DVLA and shop around for your insurance (it can be cheaper!)

5. You don't mind renewing the spark plugs every 10k miles

6. A 2nd hand tank and ECU should be OK, but the regulator and solenoids are best new.

7. You can be car-less for 3 or 4 days whilst it's fitted. Anyone who tells you it's a one-day job ain't doing it right.

8. You fit the biggest tank you reasonably can.

9. You renew all ignition components before converting.

10. You don't mind a little bit of extra journey-planning and hunting for LPG refuelling sites.

I had my 97 V70 2.5 CD auto converted 5 years and 150,000 miles ago, and it is without doubt the best motor-related thing I ever did!

My conversion is from an Italian company called Tartarini (fitted by Autogas 2000, N Yorkshire), but there are other excellent systems available. Multi-point sequential is the thing to have, but a good installer will advise.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:41.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 23:23   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is possible convert the 850 (not turbos) with traditional mixer type systems provided they are closed loop (ecu controled). I prefer not to do it this way because there can be complications backfires are a problem if plugs are not changed on a regular basis. For the little extra cost it is not worth skimping in the long run.

Multi point injection is the way to go and with a good system you wont have any problems.Plugs do need to be changed for copper cores and they usaly last between 10- 20,000 miles. At £2-3 a peice yuor still better value than expensive platinum plugs.

Tank wise you can go for a 70ltr water capacity spare wheel tank holding 56 (ish) litres of LPG. If you have a salone model then you can put a bigger cylinder tank over the rear axle area in the boot.

Bangor is on my door step (I'm on the island) and our currnt 5/6 cylinder volvo price is £1300 for multi point injection.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 00:12   #6
gwaderr

Default Convert petrol V70 to BiFuel

I know this is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to convert a petrol V70 (2001 onward) to LPG by buying all the special parts that Volvo created for the real BiFuel cars?

If so, this would solve the problem of losing your spare wheel as I understand that the tank is located under the floor.

Also, you don't have an unsightly filler cap as it is sited alongside the petrol filler.

I'm sure there is an obvious flaw to this plan, but I cannot believe that someone hasn't tried this route before.

Has anyone got any advice on this?

Many thanks
Richard
gwaderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:06   #7
richjc4

Personally its not worth all that hassle when you can buy a v70 Bi fuel alreaddy done. It is alot of work and money to have all that installed if you want a factory fit look. Firstly the dash clocks would need removing to have the proper lpg display installed. Then you would need to locate all the bits and peices. You are better off buying a v70 bi fuel already done, or get an aftermarket kit fitted (actually better than volvo's system). You could still have the filler and tanks installed in the factory locations if you wanted too.
richjc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 19:52   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default After-market vs factory

After-market LPG need not be messy!

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (60.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (13.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3.jpg (10.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 4.jpg (17.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 5.jpg (14.8 KB, 43 views)
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote