Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter motor sounds slow to disengage

Views : 693

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 18:37   #11
2011dandd

It’s happening more often then not.

Thanks I thought I might just ask on the of chance that you had the starter number. Cheers

Wonder if it’s got anything to do with needing to replace the ignition barrel
2011dandd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011dandd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 19:12   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Just to be clear - is this now a permanent fault, happening every time, or a one-off?
It will become a permanent fault eventually so with that in mind, you could say yes now.

It will also burn out the unidirectional clutch in the pinion so it no longer turns the engine when it should.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 19:13   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
It’s happening more often then not.

Thanks I thought I might just ask on the of chance that you had the starter number. Cheers

Wonder if it’s got anything to do with needing to replace the ignition barrel
Do you mean the ignition barrel or the starter switch? First is mechanical and operates the steering lock, second is hung on the back of the first and does the electrickery.

Also what makes you think you need to replace whichever it is?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 19:56   #14
2011dandd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Do you mean the ignition barrel or the starter switch? First is mechanical and operates the steering lock, second is hung on the back of the first and does the electrickery.

Also what makes you think you need to replace whichever it is?
The electrical gubbins is hanging under the dash, it’s that I have to start the car with a screwdriver. I have a whole replacement steering lock and barrel and key etc to fit. Chap I bought it from has been starting it this way for 5 years.
2011dandd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011dandd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 20:12   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
The electrical gubbins is hanging under the dash, it’s that I have to start the car with a screwdriver. I have a whole replacement steering lock and barrel and key etc to fit. Chap I bought it from has been starting it this way for 5 years.
Reading between the lines, the original key has been lost or broken? If you can get the barrel into position one (i'm guessing the key is broken in the barrel?) there should be a pip underneath. Press this in and you should be able to pull the barrel out.

You can see what i mean on your replacement, put the key in, turn to position 1 and you should see the pip in the underside of the barrel, push that in and pull the key and barrel out.

Then you can fit it in the old steering lock and refit the starter switch (only two screws) on the back of it.

I'm 99% sure this should work, it did for the 140 and 740 series, hopefully with the 240 being in the middle the same applies!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: