Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

44k engine blown, warranty company not interested

Views : 8785

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2016, 21:15   #61
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeeds View Post
That reminds me. IF you did end up having to go to court with this, one thing you could say on the claim form, or in the particulars of claim, is that you believe any suggestion in the policy that a progressive fault means they are entitled to reject the claim is an unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations, and as such, it is unenforceable.
Suggest the wording include unforeseeable otherwise they could say you failed to act...

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 21:39   #62
Jebus
VOC Member

Hopefully, nothing is final just yet, its a shame that you had to go down the route of paying for an engine already.

Personally wouldn't hold out much hope for Aberdeen Volvo to get back to you, apart from one young parts lad I spoke to on the phone not had much luck with them and that's when they answer the phone!

Shame that XC90's are not that common up this way and could have picked an engine up locally. Were are you getting the engine fitted, honest garages around Aberdeenshire are hard to find, and a lot have been hit hard by the oil downturn

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 22:16   #63
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Personally wouldn't hold out much hope for Aberdeen Volvo to get back to you, apart from one young parts lad I spoke to on the phone not had much luck with them and that's when they answer the phone!

Shame that XC90's are not that common up this way and could have picked an engine up locally. Were are you getting the engine fitted, honest garages around Aberdeenshire are hard to find, and a lot have been hit hard by the oil downturn
Have you not gotten a written report from Arnies that you could use to your benefit
There are a couple of garages in the Aberdeenshire area that I would use without any problems to install what is needed to your car..
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 10:42   #64
jjkenya

Yes, shame we had to go this route.
Aberdeen Volvo have not come back to me, the guy at Clive Brook called and he was very pleasant although said it was a tough one to call...He had no major hangups with the report apart from that the diagnosis is not 100% clear to him and it goes around in circles admitting that the car was serviced properly but still failed...

I'm using DInnet Garage who have plenty experience in 4x4 diesels as they mainly do LandRovers. They've been supportive and helpful so far and I have to hope they know their job.
I have previously had really good experiences with Firstdrive Cars, but they're too far away for me.
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjkenya For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 11:01   #65
volvo145
Premier Member

Dinnet are a good family firm to deal as well as Dunecht ,i'v had dealings with both.
There was also the Mitsubishi/Greenbank 4x4 dealers in Aberdeen that you could have used.
Good luck with everything and I hope everything turns out ok for you
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:03   #66
Jebus
VOC Member

Not had many dealings with dunecht, but the first drive guys are good, never had any issues with them via work and deal with a lot of garages in and around Aberdeen and shire, you'll know were I work but won't go into it people have varying opinions lol, But more seriously if you are after some were to inspect the engine for you go to Airylea Motors on Greenbank Place, Not far from Aberdeen Volvo actually. They are top notch with Diesel stuff...need anything just drop me a PM

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 19:02   #67
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
I read the engine went bang despite being serviced.
Just what your warranty should cover.
+1 for a concur! Don't let the buggers grind you down...
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyredz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 22:25   #68
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Any update on your saga?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 09:27   #69
jjkenya

Hi there, no updates other than the Ombudsman has acknowledged the case, and the car is being repaired.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjkenya For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 09:29   #70
jjkenya

Given the amount of support and interest provided I thought it best to update this post. The car is almost fixed (!) with the 2nd hand engine. I have asked Mapfre if they will honour the rest of the warranty given the engine is a second hand replacement and had no reply (I emailed them to have it in writing).

I have also been contacted by the Ombudsman to tell me they have acknowledged the case and assigned an officer.

Finally, I have been in touch with an independent assessor who has agreed to do his own inspection, as he saw some concerns with the conclusions and findings in the original report (e.g. failure mode, oil analysis etc).

Tags
engine, mapfre, warranty, xc90