Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Very Slow Filling at Pumps

Views : 554

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2023, 11:15   #1
Conradv2

Default Diesel Very Slow Filling at Pumps

As the title says I was having trouble when filling my V50 at the diesel pump. I had owned the car for about 6 months without issue then during a fill the fuel was backing up and triggering the auto stop on the filling gun.

If I pulled the trigger the smallest amount the flow was minimal and would eventually fill the tank after 20-30 minutes. During the winter months I was reluctant to get under the car for a look ( on my V50 there is no access to the tank form inside) so I put up with it for a while . I did the usual forum scanning and youtube etc which generally led me to believe there was a filter in the tank vent that might be blocked. I tried blowing air all over the place but no cigar.

Eventually I had an opportunity to get under the car to check the flexi pipes of the filling system. On removing the pipes I found a small non-return valve (possibly anti-siphon?) In the filling pipe. It had dislodged form the metal part of the pipe and moved downstream in to the flexi rubber part but also rotated by 180 degrees so that it was working in the wrong direction and in fact fully impeding the flow in. I removed it and refitted the pipes and all was beautiful again.

I post this thread because when I was having the problem and researching on the forums etc I never saw any mention of this part being in there.

So something to consider if this is you . Good luck

I added the attachment of the diagram to show where the valve was which is at number 9 though as if to prove my point the part is not shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7766.jpg (156.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7769.jpg (169.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg V50 fuel.jpg (36.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Conradv2; May 26th, 2023 at 11:19.
Conradv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Conradv2 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2023, 15:41   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Is it possible that someone had tried to siphon fuel out and dislodged the device?
Old May 29th, 2023, 11:20   #3
Conradv2

I never saw the flap open or any sign of tampering so I dont think so.The valve has two very small locating lugs that fit in to equally small recesses in the metal pipe , not difficult to dislodge but impossible to rotate until its in the rubber pipe.
Conradv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 20:52   #4
Benji84p
Benji84p

Wink

Thanks for this post, I have been having this issue with my v50 and have spent days going round in circles on forums, YouTube & Google trying to figure out why.

Did you remove this piece completely or did you reinstall it in its proper location before reinstalling the pipes?

Hoping to get under mine tomorrow to take a look.

Hope my problem is a simple fix like this as it’s driving me nuts not being able to fill my tank.
Benji84p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 21:26   #5
ArkV50

Woow, I have the same issue but "not a real problem at the moment version", thanks a lot for the info and I'll keep in mind if things go wrong.
ArkV50 is offline   Reply With Quote