Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Profile HELL

Views : 3325

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:36   #11
Propofol

I have 17" alloys on my V70, and because of the low profile of the tyres all the alloys have been kirbed (I live on a narrow road with high kirbstones and have to park close to the kirbside) - the P6000's that came with the car offer no protection.

I was wondering what are the 'fattest' tyres I can fit to my wheels to improve the ride and reduce the alloy damage (bit late really! but I'm keeping the car a few years so the initial heartsink has passed!)

Apologies if this is a dumb question!
Propofol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 13:54   #12
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

I was wondering what are the 'fattest' tyres I can fit to my wheels to improve the ride and reduce the alloy damage (bit late really! but I'm keeping the car a few years so the initial heartsink has passed!)

I currently have 225/45/17 Continental SportContact 2's on mine and they have quite a big lip which protrudes over where the alloy is, specifically designed to help you not kerb the wheels!! My Continental WinterContacts have the same lip.

If you're asking whats the highest profile you can go up to, you'd really need to change your wheels to the 16" type to allow 55 profile tyres (My winter tyres are 205/55/16's).
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 14:06   #13
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Some tyres come with rim protection but i have noticed some of the cheaper brands do not,

Gary,

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 14:21   #14
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
I have 17" alloys on my V70, and because of the low profile of the tyres all the alloys have been kirbed (I live on a narrow road with high kirbstones and have to park close to the kirbside) - the P6000's that came with the car offer no protection.

When did you last get the P6000's - as they now do have rim protectors.
Personally I don't like the look of rim protectors - but better that than scuffed alloy's I suppose, but I've never scuffed an alloy in my life! I tend not to go rubbing them up against kerbs etc when i park!
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 22:07   #15
Propofol

You should try parking in my road, if you're not right next to the kerb you're half in the road with the width of the V70 and you can say goodbye to your wing mirrors etc. as half of my neighbours have.....
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 22:29   #16
jeffcooper

Default V70 uncomfy?

I've got 225/45/17 P6000's on 17" rims, and this is the most comfy car I've ever driven - it gets us from mid-england to mid-france in a day with coffee breaks only, and apart from lack of sleep, the drive itself is a pleasure, and that includes a lot of country roads - one thing though, you do have to spend a lot of time getting the driving position right, especially with the V70R seats that I've got - could this be the lack of comfort you're experiencing?
jeffcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 22:30   #17
Propofol

Incidentally, anyone know a good alloy wheel refurbisher in the SE London / Kent area for when I get some new tyres with rim protection?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 23:09   #18
Black

I have tyres with rim protectors but have just discovered a scuff on one of the front rims! very strange as there is no mark on the tyre but it looks like i must have brushed against a kerb. Had the car for 20k now and still getting used to the width! Anyone had Thors repaired?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:08   #19
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Red face

Can remember when tyre profiles were all 80% a/r. You could change tyres yourself with tyre levers. Then they brought in 70's and folk complained of the harsh ride. Now some tyres are so low they'd be as well with rubber bands on the rim. Maybe thats the plan!. Comfort on some cars is atrocious .
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:21   #20
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEROV View Post
. You could change tyres yourself with tyre levers.
Well, you could. But the £5 saving per tyre would be somewhat outweighed by having to spend a few thousand on a tyre balancing machine