Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 V8 Project anyone?

Views : 19424

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2021, 08:42   #51
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It won't pass as a historic vehicle unfortunately Alan because of how it has been modified.
By the book you are correct Luke, but I wonder whether anyone at DVLA will notice whilst still working from their kitchen table in 2023? I can see that the motor car has been registered as a 3.5 litre, and that probably happened when the last V5 was issued a decade or so ago. There would be some risk attached (for a buyer), but I rather think this one will slip through the net in 2 years time.

Alan

PS. The last MoT ran out on 3 April 2010. The last V5 was issued on 8 November 2011 and with a capacity of 3528cc, so the engine swap had happened by then. My guess is that it was taken off the road in 2010, someone fitted the V8 motor and registered the change but never finished the project. The motor car then languished in a field for the next decade or so. I rather suspect a buyer would have a myriad of engineering problems to solve on the unfinished project, as well as fix all the rust and the unserviceable running parts.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 13th, 2021 at 09:02.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 06:27   #52
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Another price reduction (to a mere £2,999 - form an orderly queue).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115126550...53.m1438.l2649

At this rate it should reach its value (about £999) by Xmas 2022:

:-)

PS. This motor car will become an historic vehicle on 1 April 2023 - its value will increase then, perhaps to £1,500 - and it will not need a MoT test (now that is a scary thought, it was last tested in 2009!).
Roll up, roll up! Only £2,799 now...

... 2 grand to go, then this one will have a sensible price tag :-)

PS. This motor car will become MoT exempt on 1 July 2022, so its value will increase by about 50% (maybe to £1,500), and tax exempt as an historic vehicle on 1 April 2023 (notwithstanding Luke's point above) - if it is still for sale then it should be worth 2 grand :-).

Last edited by Othen; Dec 25th, 2021 at 07:08. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 08:35   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Roll up, roll up! Only £2,799 now...

... 2 grand to go, then this one will have a sensible price tag :-)
Only 2 grand to go? More like £2700 having had another look at it!

For anyone that wants it, the most up to date listing :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115126550177

I see from the location on the listing, it's in High Wycombe. The seller didn't have to take the "high" part quite so literally!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 11:35   #54
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Only 2 grand to go? More like £2700 having had another look at it!

For anyone that wants it, the most up to date listing :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115126550177

I see from the location on the listing, it's in High Wycombe. The seller didn't have to take the "high" part quite so literally!
Maybe Dave, everything has a price, but with this one it is such an oddball it is hard to know what that might be.

The seller seems to be reducing the asking price by about £200 each fortnight, which is an odd sales strategy. It has been on sale for nearly a year now, so surely he/she much have realised it has been pitched at the wrong level by now.

Alan

PS. If the motor car didn't have the V8 engine it might be worth £600 - which would rise to about £1,200 when it soon becomes an historic vehicle. Does the V8 engine add to or detract from its value - that is the difficult question to answer.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 25th, 2021 at 11:37.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 12:04   #55
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Maybe Dave, everything has a price, but with this one it is such an oddball it is hard to know what that might be.

The seller seems to be reducing the asking price by about £200 each fortnight, which is an odd sales strategy. It has been on sale for nearly a year now, so surely he/she much have realised it has been pitched at the wrong level by now.

Alan

PS. If the motor car didn't have the V8 engine it might be worth £600 - which would rise to about £1,200 when it soon becomes an historic vehicle. Does the V8 engine add to or detract from its value - that is the difficult question to answer.
He should just part it out and scrap it. It’s so full of rust it’s only value is parts now.
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 12:32   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Alan

Only another 7 months to wipe that £2700 off then!

Given it's a P6 Rover engine it's older than the car itself and is also running a Holley carb, it's more likely to detract IMHO. If it was an SD1 engine with the better design valves and ports (making it more efficient) and shorter-nose water pump it would be more attractive, maybe even increase the value slightly but despite my affinity for the Rover V8 (and V8s in general) i'm sorry to say i see this as most of the buying public will, just an old Volvo that's been converted dubiously with little or no history or provenance to back up the conversion and as such is worth what a basket case 244 from a similar era will be worth. Finding and fitting a correct B21A or whatever it left the factory with would bring the value up to a more realistic level for a Historic vehicle but with the V8 in it, as Luke i believe pointed out earlier in the thread, it's substantially modified from the original spec so won't qualify for Historic status.
That means the value won't go up in line with any premiums from Historic status unless it has an original type (or very close to) engine fitted.

Some cars would benefit from having a Rover V8 under the bonnet such as a Grinnall TR7, a bona fide Rover V8 conversion (to mimic the genuine TR8) that (if memory serves) used a new SD1 V8 engine fitted as an aftermarket option with suspension, diff and brake upgrades and hence retains historic status because it was a "proper" conversion.

Neither Volvo nor any aftermarket conversions used the Rover V8 so that argument can't be used.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 13:19   #57
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Only another 7 months to wipe that £2700 off then!

Given it's a P6 Rover engine it's older than the car itself and is also running a Holley carb, it's more likely to detract IMHO. If it was an SD1 engine with the better design valves and ports (making it more efficient) and shorter-nose water pump it would be more attractive, maybe even increase the value slightly but despite my affinity for the Rover V8 (and V8s in general) i'm sorry to say i see this as most of the buying public will, just an old Volvo that's been converted dubiously with little or no history or provenance to back up the conversion and as such is worth what a basket case 244 from a similar era will be worth. Finding and fitting a correct B21A or whatever it left the factory with would bring the value up to a more realistic level for a Historic vehicle but with the V8 in it, as Luke i believe pointed out earlier in the thread, it's substantially modified from the original spec so won't qualify for Historic status.
That means the value won't go up in line with any premiums from Historic status unless it has an original type (or very close to) engine fitted.

Some cars would benefit from having a Rover V8 under the bonnet such as a Grinnall TR7, a bona fide Rover V8 conversion (to mimic the genuine TR8) that (if memory serves) used a new SD1 V8 engine fitted as an aftermarket option with suspension, diff and brake upgrades and hence retains historic status because it was a "proper" conversion.

Neither Volvo nor any aftermarket conversions used the Rover V8 so that argument can't be used.
I think you are probably right Dave. Apart from the banger racing chap I can't see anyone else being interested in this one.

The seller probably thought he was on to a winner when he/she came across this one languishing in a field this time last year - appended a ridiculous price tag to it and expected the money to roll in. How wrong could he/she be!

As we have discussed previously (probably nearly a year ago) even if this motor car was a proven runner with a MoT and everything working it might only be worth something like £3,000. If it ever reached historic vehicle status that might increase to around £5,000 (bearing in mind Luke's point, there would be some risk regarding that happening in 2023). Getting the car from the derelict it is now to that stage would probably cost more than £5,000 so it makes no sense.

Old Dec 25th, 2021, 16:21   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think you are probably right Dave. Apart from the banger racing chap I can't see anyone else being interested in this one.

The seller probably thought he was on to a winner when he/she came across this one languishing in a field this time last year - appended a ridiculous price tag to it and expected the money to roll in. How wrong could he/she be!

As we have discussed previously (probably nearly a year ago) even if this motor car was a proven runner with a MoT and everything working it might only be worth something like £3,000. If it ever reached historic vehicle status that might increase to around £5,000 (bearing in mind Luke's point, there would be some risk regarding that happening in 2023). Getting the car from the derelict it is now to that stage would probably cost more than £5,000 so it makes no sense.

Our speculation is alas no more Alan - the item is no longer available to quote ebay. Had an email from them telling me so a while ago. Maybe a guilty wife decided to buy it for her husband on a whim for Xmas or maybe just for herself!

Whether we'll see it in this hallowed portal is another matter though...........

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 16:45   #59
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Our speculation is alas no more Alan - the item is no longer available to quote ebay. Had an email from them telling me so a while ago. Maybe a guilty wife decided to buy it for her husband on a whim for Xmas or maybe just for herself!

Whether we'll see it in this hallowed portal is another matter though...........
... must have been a bargain after all :-)
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 17:26   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... must have been a bargain after all :-)
A percieved bargain perhaps unless someone wants to plunder it for the V6 and autobox for a different project. That said there are cheaper/easier ways of obtaining a V8 and box so perhaps the plan is to use it as a spares mule. Who knows, maybe it will reappear in the New Year.