Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Purge check valve needed

Views : 2360

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:17   #11
Pupbelly

Luxobarge - do you have the eBay number for the purge valve part you bought please?

What is the purpose of these valves anyway and why do they need vacuum? How do they affect the cars boost??

The post above from sdg1970 (thank you) has explained the lower vacuum hose removal. You may be able to access it from underneath but I went in from above.

For reference I bought this turbo control solenoid via Amazon: 7.28197.16.0 Pierburg ELECTRIC SWITCH OVER VALVE OE QUALITY.

It made no difference!

Oh and my car has a recent Forge TRV fitted so in theory it can’t be that which is at fault on my car at least.

Do you have any photos of what you’ve done so far?

Is this purge valve linked to the fuel system by any chance?

As with Mr Barge any information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Oct 4th, 2021 at 22:38.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:38   #12
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Thanks a LOT sdg1970 and SteveSarre, really useful posts, much appreciated, I shall take all that on board and when I get a chance shall take action along those lines.

I didn't check the actual operation of the TCV, but I've replaced it with a new one from PFV, it's a Pierburg and appears to be of excellent quality. I have a couple of good vacuum diagrams so shall double check that the vac lines from it go to where they should - if not then that would definitely cause problems!

I got the check valves from Amazon, so no Ebay number, but as it happens I also need to do a service on the car so was in Euro Car Parts today buying oil and filters, and on the little rack of bits and bobs by the counter there was a fuel line check valve for £9, so I bought that. When I got home the two I'd ordered from Amazon had arrived and they are the same as the ECP one. OK, it's meant for fuel, but I tested it by blowing down it and it works fine with air too. It's aluminium bodied, so should be tough enough.

Thanks for the tip about fitting boost gauge, I've ordered that today too, so will try and fit it before too long.

Sorry no photos so far.

The purge system is sort-of part of the fuel system, but it's linked to the inlet manifold so could affect vacuum, so I want to get it operating as it should. I found the relevant vacuum diagrams on here somewhere, I'll try and post it up if I can tomorrow.

Onwards - will keep you all updated and thanks again for the really useful posts.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:41   #13
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Here you go - vacuum diagrams - hope this works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo Vacuum diagram.jpg (88.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vac diagram.jpg (163.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vacuum-hose-diagram-850.jpg (150.4 KB, 2 views)
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:46   #14
Pupbelly

I ask about the purge valve being part of the fuel system because I think my vent pipe on top of my tank my be split a little (as it seems to have shown itself after brimming the tank the other night). So if that’s the case, a split vent pipe means possibly no vacuum in the fuel system circuit so if the purge valve is connected in some way could the split(?) tank vent pipe be creating an open circuit which in turn is showing as a leak in the vacuum system generally hence low boost?

Seems overly complicated but is it feasible? Anyone know the routing of this purge system?

Wow my head hurts!
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 23:02   #15
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
…….. and main airbox intake to turbo hose. Check throttle body hose especially - it's very susceptible!....
Can I ask what the issue would be with this being damaged?
Mine looks like it has some tape on the latter part of the flexi part. Would this create any problems?
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 08:01   #16
sdg1970
Master Member

I'll do the full story.

All my boost issues which got slowly worse over a period of weeks, was largely down to the wide throttle body hose having a huge split in it, but all the other stuff I replaced most definitely needed doing too. If it's got tape on it, then it will probably collapse under vacuum and leak under boost. It was the last thing I inspected, after buying various different boost hose packs, vac lines, various valves, TCV and Forge TRV.

The problem with my car at the time was it wouldn't boost over 6psi and made a whooshing noise on de-accelerating. I replaced literally everything except turbo itself in the end!

A last gasp attempt I put the car into the local garage who smoke tested it and found nothing. The only pipe I hadn't replaced at that point was main air box to turbo pipe and also the TCV. They replaced both, but still the problem persisted.

The boost hose kit I hadn't fitted by that point was the throttle body ones and I confess I was a little naieve as to it's operation, so I'd skipped over that one. A quick look on PFS website I saw the DO88 throttle body kit and bought it. When I removed the throttle body the hose had a near 4 inch burst in it and needless to say that fixed it.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...254c1145e34c14

Last edited by sdg1970; Oct 5th, 2021 at 08:14.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 09:58   #17
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
I'll do the full story.

All my boost issues which got slowly worse over a period of weeks, was largely down to the wide throttle body hose having a huge split in it, but all the other stuff I replaced most definitely needed doing too. If it's got tape on it, then it will probably collapse under vacuum and leak under boost. It was the last thing I inspected, after buying various different boost hose packs, vac lines, various valves, TCV and Forge TRV.

The problem with my car at the time was it wouldn't boost over 6psi and made a whooshing noise on de-accelerating. I replaced literally everything except turbo itself in the end!

A last gasp attempt I put the car into the local garage who smoke tested it and found nothing. The only pipe I hadn't replaced at that point was main air box to turbo pipe and also the TCV. They replaced both, but still the problem persisted.

The boost hose kit I hadn't fitted by that point was the throttle body ones and I confess I was a little naieve as to it's operation, so I'd skipped over that one. A quick look on PFS website I saw the DO88 throttle body kit and bought it. When I removed the throttle body the hose had a near 4 inch burst in it and needless to say that fixed it.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...254c1145e34c14
Appreciate the input there - thank you. The pipe that has a bit of tape on in my case is the plastic pipe that comes from the airbox, down in front of the ABS to the turbo inlet which has the PCV pipes plugged in at the bottom of it, I assume its not creating any vacuum source or seal. Its not any of the main rubber piping. I've had the throttle body Y shaped pipe off and it didn't appear to have any damage that I could see, but might revisit it.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Oct 5th, 2021 at 10:01.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 10:26   #18
sdg1970
Master Member

I know the one you mean, but can't remember exactly what it's function is?? There is a small pipe of similar diameter that does the cruise control vacuum pump, but can't remember if it's that??
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 10:45   #19
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I think the pipe Pupbelly is referring to is the main fresh air intake, about 65mm diameter with a section that is zig-zag section to make it flexible, it goes from the MAF (near the air box) to the turbo cold side inlet. Mine was also split, and has been carefully duct-taped up, I'm confident that there are no leaks into it but yes, it could do with replacement at some point. PFV do them, but I don't think that they've got the right one for the T5 at the moment, so perhaps Volvo (FRF)?
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 12:05   #20
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
I think the pipe Pupbelly is referring to is the main fresh air intake, about 65mm diameter with a section that is zig-zag section to make it flexible, it goes from the MAF (near the air box) to the turbo cold side inlet. Mine was also split, and has been carefully duct-taped up, I'm confident that there are no leaks into it but yes, it could do with replacement at some point. PFV do them, but I don't think that they've got the right one for the T5 at the moment, so perhaps Volvo (FRF)?
Correct, that's the one I mean. I can't see how this would affect any running issues but is potentially on the list to replace once everything else is sorted.