Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought an S60, need advice

Views : 1427

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:48   #1
melmac

Default Just bought an S60, need advice

Hi All,

I found this forum a few days ago and joined up. I am from Ireland and I have just purchased a 01 S60 2.0T. It's my first Volvo and I really like it. I just want to make a few improvements and to ask you all out there advice on a few things. I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything mechanical and I know nothing much about cars.
I hope you don't mind the long post and all the various questions.

My first question is about tyres. after reading through most of the 115 pages here it seems like the Goodyear Eagle F1's are the best out there. How many miles roughly will I get off them? Another set I was looking at were the michelin premacy Hp's. They seem to last for ever!! anyone recommend them?

what is the right tyre pressure for my tyres? I currently have this tyre size on my car 225/45/ ZR17 94W.

My second question is about PPC upgrades. I don't really want the extra power because I am a fairly sedate driver, but I keep reading that you get more mpg's if you get the upgrade done. Is this true? Is it worth doing anyway?

Last question (for the moment lol) I see a few people have converted their engines to LPG. I was thinking of converting my engine to Bio-ethanol. Using the system from Fullfllex international. Has anyone done this? I know you get less miles per gallon and its not available everywhere, but it is much better for your engine and much cheaper too. Anyone got any thoughts?

Anyway, this forum is great :-) Lots of good advice and friendly people. I hope some of you can throw some of that good advice my way :-)

Mel.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:58   #2
neek

The goodyear F1 tyres are very very very soft, I certainly wont be buying any more. If you drive hard they will wear in 4-5k miles, if you drive soft then you probably don't really need the extra grip. I replaced mine with some made by michalin and they are lasting much better and grip fine.
neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 13:36   #3
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I've swapped the factory-fit P6000s (which only gave about 15k miles - I've only got the 2.0T and I'm not exactly heavy-footed) for Michelin Pilot Sports which are wearing well so far.

The fuel flap data suggests 32 (I think..or it may be 30...I'd check but the car's parked about 5 miles away from the office today) or 36 dependent on speed - I run mine at 36 as it gives me a bit better fuel economy (or at least that's what I've convinced myself!)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 22:53   #4
melmac

Thanks guys. I must actually measure my tyre pressure and see what it is!! lol. I might try a michelin set when I have to change them.

anyone have any ideas for my other questions? I snet questions to some of the places that do ecu upgrading like BSR and chiptuning.com to see what they say about fuel economy increases, but I am sure they will say it will save me lots of fuel of course :-) I was hoping somebodu here would give me real world figures. I know if you are heavy on the trottle then it will actually cost more. Heck I keep changing my mind about getting it done or not!!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:19   #5
TJMurphy
VOC Member

I would say on my T5 with an MTE Stage 1 remap the fuel economy is not any worse. If I had the discipline to drive for economy I'm pretty sure the remap is slightly more economical than stock (but only 1 / 2 mpg I reckon). The improvement is merely because you don't need to use all the throttle for a given increase in speed (IMHO). On my remap though the extra torque / power aren't noticeable much below 3,000 rpm so if you're a really sedate driver you may not notice any difference at all (power or fuel economy) I guess.

However, the remap is optimised for 98 octane fuel which, last time I was over, was not very available in Ireland (certainly around the South East). I've never run the car on 95, even pre-map. I've always consider 98 octane pays for itself anyway but if you had to switch from 95 to 98 plus the remap, whether the cost would offset the benefit I don't know. You might want to just stick a few tanks of VPower in and see what that does to your fuel economy, you might find that pays for itself and it's not an insurance problem.

I know nothing about fuel conversions but I'd lay money that this is an either / or decision with any remap - you couldn't / shouldn't have both.

On tyres, I had Goodyear F1's and was getting 15 / 16k out of them pre remap. The rubbing on the sidewalls was actually what put me of them eventually (every day getting out of my driveway!). Now running on Pilot Sport 2's which are giving me a bit less but that's post remap as well. My normal route though is main road and motorway. Inflated to about 35 all round (fitter's book actually says 29 - they look flat at 29!).

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:48   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
The goodyear F1 tyres are very very very soft, I certainly wont be buying any more. If you drive hard they will wear in 4-5k miles, if you drive soft then you probably don't really need the extra grip. I replaced mine with some made by michalin and they are lasting much better and grip fine.
Strange, They are made from a similar hard compound to the Toyo Proxies T1-R.
Should get you about 15 to 20k miles of motoring.

Mitchlin are overpriced in my opinion. But whatever you get, avoid pirelli like plague!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:55   #7
melmac

lol, well after reading through all 115 pages of this forum, that's the one thing I have learned, stay the hell away from the P6000's. Every other tyre on the forums have got fans and haters. Like the F1's

In Ireland You can only get 95 octane in stations now. But as I am considering converting to Ethanol this shouldn't be an issue. E85 is 104 octane or something like that so It should work well with any ecu upgrade I get. And yes, it is easier to get ethanol than super unleaded here.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:58   #8
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

Cool

All I can add to this is to say that I run my S60's tyres at 32-35 psi all round and I will be changing my P6000's to Michelin as they become ready for replacement.

I had a full set of Michelin Pilot Primacy on my Rover 75 a few years back and they made the world of difference. I no longer had to worry if the roads were wet or dry, I got the same performance throughout.

Yes they are more expensive than most tyres but the improved handling, noise reduction and almost care free motoring (tyres wise) more than made up for the cost. I found them to be very hard wearing too.

I shopped around and got them fitted for £75 each.

Interesting to note that these tyres are also recommended by blackcirles.com ( http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/volvo )
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 13:20   #9
JIM C
Forum Support Team

My s60 is running on P6000 all round and are a vast improvement on the budget tyres that were on the car when I bought. Wet weather grip and tyre noise are better.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 13:34   #10
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
My s60 is running on P6000 all round and are a vast improvement on the budget tyres that were on the car when I bought. Wet weather grip and tyre noise are better.

Are you running 16" or 17" rims? The popular opinion is that the P6000s are fine on 16" (which I can agree with as my dad's S60 has 16s) but on 17" the car has a tendency to tramline. My change to Michelin Pilot Sports cured the tramlining (and they were cheaper than the P6000s too!)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote