Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reversing Cameras

Views : 1632

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 17:47   #1
Pauleden

Default Reversing Cameras

Chaps,
We're off to look at some used XC90s ( 2013 -2014 model) tomorrow.

One of the things Mrs E insists on, especially in a big car, is a reversing camera. Most, if not all of the cars spec sheets say they have 'parking sensors' but only one we have seen actually mentions a parking camera.

I'm assuming that these are one and the same and all these cars do actually have a rear facing camera?

Thanks

Paul and Marie
Pauleden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 17:59   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

Parking sensors could mean those on the front - a nice addition if you have them.

If you have the built-in sat-nav then the camera will be there - displaying rear view once it has raised from the top of the dash.

The camera, if installed, can be found close to the boot release handle.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 21:37   #3
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Parking sensors could mean those on the front - a nice addition if you have them.

If you have the built-in sat-nav then the camera will be there - displaying rear view once it has raised from the top of the dash.

The camera, if installed, can be found close to the boot release handle.
Not sure about spec on the 13/14 model I don't believe the camera was standard. As stated bu AB-UK, yes, - the sat nav screen must be fitted for it to have a camera. So if the model you are looking at doesn't have the screen it won't have a camera.

So, if it says sensors it's most likely just sensors, (standard on the rear, optional on the front). If it has nav, it <MAY> have a camera, check under the tailgate handle near the number plate lights.

If it doesn't have the camera you could look at retrofitting:

HSF, the Volvo dealer in Maidenhead (was Squire Furneaux) can retro fit the genuine system for under £900:
https://www.swedishcaraccessories.co...mera-498-p.asp

Ignore the picture in the link as they show an image for the XC60, but check with them before committing.

An alternate option is a kit from these guys (although they aren't genuine Volvo parts), also if you're not comfortable fitting it would need to find someone to do it: https://www.volvotech.eu/xc90/XC90-MY-2010-2014/vbb4-mc
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 22:12   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I have the sat nav and reversing camera on my MY2009.

Invaluable.

Don't buy one without it

It sits to the right hand side of the tailgate, above the number plate. You can see it easily from the rear of the car.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 23:31   #5
noddycat

I've got a '14 SE Lux with sat nav but no rear camera sadly - I believe it's a relatively rare option, but as Swiss says, definitely worth getting if you can. It's not a disaster without it by any stretch of the imagination, but it would add a valuable extra level of safety and security - both to the car itself and pedestrians outside. And makes manoeuvring in tight spaces much easier. Can be added (at not inconsiderable cost) to cars with sat navs - my thinking is it's better to retrofit to the 'right' car rather than buy the wrong one just because it had a rear camera.

I'm very much looking at a retrofit - either the Volvo one or Volvotech, though the big advantage of Volvo is that it includes very helpful parking orientation lines that move with the steering wheel.

I think the parking sensor specs you mention will be just for the rear sensors - front sensors are again a relatively rare option. You should be able to tell as front parking sensors have an extra button on the 'option' button panel. Can be retrofitted (again not cheap). I just don't know why Volvo didn't do both front and rear sensors as standard from the get go on the first gen XC90 - especially for such a big car - my old e39 BMW did and that's a generation older.
noddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 06:33   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddycat View Post
You should be able to tell as front parking sensors have an extra button on the 'option' button panel.
The Parking Sensor disable button is for both front and rear at the same time.

The easiest way to see if it has front parking sensors is to look for the 4 sensors in the front bumper, easy to spot.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 23:11   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I have had the genuine Volvo reversing camera retrofitted to my 2011 Exec

It's a great help reversing and parking, it has guidelines showing where you will end up, which move with the steering.

Wasn't cheap (dealer fitted, though bought on-line) and I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 19:39   #8
Pauleden

Thanks guys. Our plan is see how we get on with the sensors before we consider a retro fit camera
Pauleden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 17:57   #9
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I retrofitted a rear camera years ago on our XC.... works with a wee interface to the satnav under the passenger seat.

Can dig out details if you want to go the DIY route.

David
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 00:38   #10
Barney90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi

I retrofitted a rear camera years ago on our XC.... works with a wee interface to the satnav under the passenger seat.

Can dig out details if you want to go the DIY route.

David
Hi David, I'm interested in this

1995 Nissan Skyline GTR 620bhp
Barney90 is offline   Reply With Quote