Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help to identify hose type

Views : 773

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 00:01   #1
j0hn

Default Help to identify hose type

Hi folks

V70 T5 P2 2003 (168K)

Well I've spent 2 hours trying to identify (with certainly) what this hose is so I can order a replacement of equivalent type. All I have figured out is that it is some sort of vacuum hose (yep, I'm really not very good with cars..)

The very small section of hose has popped off the value thingummy (in the right) twice in the last 5 months, resulting in very erratic idle speeds until I pop it back on. So I think it's related to the idle control valve?

It comes off very easy and looks pretty beat up so maybe my issue is simply one of a worn hose rather than something more sinister?

The hose is 10mm ID , 15mm OD and appears to be made of a somewhat spongy material. I would appreciate help to identify the correct hose type and/or volvo part number as I am mindful that there will likely be a numbers of things that I don't know that I don't know which means I am wary about just bunging on any old hose type that will fit.

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181211_131451.jpg (246.5 KB, 49 views)
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:58   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default A guess

I agree it's likely a vacuum hose. Where does it lead after the check valve?

Go to a dealer or someone with the parts look-up feature in VIDA. Perhaps the dealer's part is "all of them" and are sold as one assembly. Since your troublesome hose comes off real easily, they all might be weakening with time.

Also, the check valve and the barbs involved do get brittle so replacing it all isn't a bad idea.

If you wanted to replace just that length of hose I'd bet planet earth wouldn't explode. Wrap it with some insulation. A length of 10mm ID should be easy enough to find, no? Commit to a plan and use a razor blade lengthwise to cut the other end if it seems solidly in place. Don't forcefully twist this old stuff.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 19:27   #3
jgjones095
Master Member

Isn't that the vacumn like with a one way valve in.
I replaced mine recently with 8mm silicon hose.
There should be a hose clamp on them.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 00:37   #4
j0hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgjones095 View Post
Isn't that the vacumn like with a one way valve in.
I replaced mine recently with 8mm silicon hose.
There should be a hose clamp on them.
Yes these are the same hoses as you have replaced on your motor. Were you old ones worn/leaking?

They don't have clamps on any of them in the area in my photo (I don't think yours do either?) or where they push onto that valve as these are push-on tapered connectors so I don't think a clamp would work in these places. I guess Volvo didn't think they were necessary here either (they have not been replaced since the car was new).

In the interests of time with christmas upon us, I grabbed some generic silicon hose (couldn't see anything else) and will replace just those 2 small sections for a start (and give them a tug to see how well they stay on). Might try a couple of cable ties as well for good measure. I'll look to do the rest of them in the new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I agree it's likely a vacuum hose. Where does it lead after the check valve?
It connects to a side connector on the main air intake hose (confirming that it's just air it's shifting).

I thought I would find a complete hose kit on the web but my google-foo has failed me this time.

cheers.

Last edited by j0hn; Dec 19th, 2018 at 00:50.
j0hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:47   #5
juanpen

There are two valves in the vacuum system, those that fit your car will come with a hose and will be more expensive than 2000 - 2004 S40/V40´s, (1275226) which are the same.

And still cheaper if you buy non-volvo brand, they are just two one way simple valves...

I did it three years ago (with all the silicon hoses) and recovered 2 psi in turbo boost.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 23:20   #6
j0hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpen View Post
There are two valves in the vacuum system, those that fit your car will come with a hose and will be more expensive than 2000 - 2004 S40/V40´s, (1275226) which are the same.

And still cheaper if you buy non-volvo brand, they are just two one way simple valves...

I did it three years ago (with all the silicon hoses) and recovered 2 psi in turbo boost.
That was helpful. thank you. Looks like I would "offically" need
Genuine Volvo 30757307, Evap System Hose Assy With Check Valves

which I can't locate on the web in the UK so will look to pick up a pair of those values at some point soon (just in case) and some hose.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 12:31   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

www.tascaparts.com (Rhode Island-USA) has a listing.
$80.08
Go here: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...-hose-30757307
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 23:41   #8
jgjones095
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
Yes these are the same hoses as you have replaced on your motor. Were you old ones worn/leaking?

They don't have clamps on any of them in the area in my photo (I don't think yours do either?) or where they push onto that valve as these are push-on tapered connectors so I don't think a clamp would work in these places. I guess Volvo didn't think they were necessary here either (they have not been replaced since the car was new).

In the interests of time with christmas upon us, I grabbed some generic silicon hose (couldn't see anything else) and will replace just those 2 small sections for a start (and give them a tug to see how well they stay on). Might try a couple of cable ties as well for good measure. I'll look to do the rest of them in the new year.

It connects to a side connector on the main air intake hose (confirming that it's just air it's shifting).

I thought I would find a complete hose kit on the web but my google-foo has failed me this time.

cheers.
Photo was taken during fitment. Clamps are fitted now.
The old hoses on mine has clamps on.
I replaced mine as I was chasing a vacumn leak.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote