Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 - Central Locking and Wipers.

Views : 1340

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 22:29   #1
Nigelb1

Default 360 - Central Locking and Wipers.

I have a 360 GLE 1988 2 litre carburettor model and have had problems with the alternator - see separate post on this topic.The day after I replaced the alternator I was on my way into work and suffered some of the same symptoms as when the aletrnator packed in. This was fading lights, fuel and temp guages under reading, and not being able to use headlamps on main beam. The car started on stopping however on the key.

Feeling that I probably had another problem with the electrics that was beyond me, I took it straight to an auto electricians. They found that water was getting in through the drivers side windscreen wiper spindle on the panel just beyond the windscreen and getting into the electrical multi plugs that lie under the dash along side the steering column. Drying the multi plugs has cured the problem but you can see a rusty water trail where the water is coming in.

Two questions from this - Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? - I've thought of stripping the wiper arm off and the spindle and putting some silicone around the base of the spindle to stop it leaking but don't really know if I should get in up under the dashboard.

Second question is that on return of the car the Cental locking is not working. I've check the fuses and they are OK , but don't know if there is any other protection of the circuit or whether a relay is involved. I suspect that by breaking and making the circuits on the multi plugs that another fault has been introduced and I'll test this my self - but any advice appreciated, because they might have blown a fuse or relay?

Apologies again for another long post

Thanks

Nigel

Nigelb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2002, 00:41   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: 360 - Central Locking and Wipers.

The solenoids go from time to time because water gets into them when the bottom window seals fail (have yours gone brittle and hard?).

One of the annoying quirks - there was a post not so far back by Steve Tames about a supplier for new sealing strip, and I am going to look into this next summer when I next give the car its annual 'going over'!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2002, 14:54   #3
srtames

I had that pesky spindle leak when I first got a 340.
I cured it by taking off the wiper arm and putting grease down the spindle and followed by an "o" ring . Check your spindle wear by pushing sideways. If its too worn , this cure may not work but its worth trying!
You can also get a leak from the door drain holes into the floor wells if your car is not parked level.

good luck, Steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2002, 19:19   #4
Nigelb1

Steve,
Thanks for that - I thought it might be the seal between the spindle boss and the car - the flat plate with the two screws on. Does the spindle assembly strip down to get the grease in the spindle or did you force it in some other way. My Haynes manual doesn't show it broken down into components.

Thanks

Nigel
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 14:52   #5
srtames

I pushed the spindle sideways to put the LM grease in the gap with a screwdriver blade as its not easy to dismantle . the O ring goes on the spindle to seal it folowed by the wiper blade.

Steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 21:47   #6
Nigelb1

Steve,
Thanks for taking time to reply - I didn't fancy stripping the linkage out from underneath the dash. I'll give it a go.

Nigel