Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Very poor mpg at 21.5 mpg

Views : 11934

Replies : 119

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2012, 22:33   #11
nbuuifx

Could be a whole host of things. I doubt different fuel/ fuel additive would have any effect.

Does it feel like it is running OK? Have you checked properly how many miles you are doing for how many litres? Don't just rely on the onboard computer as it may have gone tits up.

What is the service history like? Has it been serviced regularly? If so the fuel filter should have been done so shouldn't be a problem (you would notice a problem with it running before it gave bad mpg)

I've always found mine to be low, but I do terrible journeys - all short and up and down hills, but I still get 35ish.

Try and borrow aN OBDII reader or get the codes read at a garage, it may tell you straight off what is wrong.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbuuifx For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 00:18   #12
Zeb246

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
Could be a whole host of things. I doubt different fuel/ fuel additive would have any effect.

Does it feel like it is running OK? Have you checked properly how many miles you are doing for how many litres? Don't just rely on the onboard computer as it may have gone tits up.

What is the service history like? Has it been serviced regularly? If so the fuel filter should have been done so shouldn't be a problem (you would notice a problem with it running before it gave bad mpg)

I've always found mine to be low, but I do terrible journeys - all short and up and down hills, but I still get 35ish.

Try and borrow aN OBDII reader or get the codes read at a garage, it may tell you straight off what is wrong.

Hhhmmm...Was hoping that this could solve the problem. The car is running fine, I haven't checked how many miles i'm doing on fuel, will make sure i will check before and after on miles. The car has been serviced by Volvo, then been serviced at a local garage, inc cambelt change. Service was done 2 weeks ago. The previous owner did all the work. I might give MRG a call and let them do the free health check.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:21   #13
colinjy

tyre pressures ok ? it shouldn't drop it that much but if there quite low then you'll notice a drop
colinjy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinjy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 16:52   #14
rowdy

Age and mileage of car?

DPF could be clogged, any warning messages on dash at all?

I find my mpg drops this time of year, due mainly to use of seat heaters, window/mirror demisters, leaving car running to de ice in morning, apparently diesel in winter is a different mix etc, but 21mpg is terrible, something is wrong!
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowdy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 17:27   #15
Zeb246

I will check the tyres and pump them up. Could it be down to wrong tyre fitments? Front tyres are 225/45/18 and rear tyres are 225/40/18. Mileage on car is 44K miles, 2007 plate.

It's a gear tronic, don't know if the auto gearbox reduces mpg?
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 22:08   #16
ian7675

Just as a comparison, my T5 is averaging between 30 and 35 mpg and the turbo does get worked quite regularly so I'm amazed yours is that low. 21 to 25 mpg is really bad for a diesel car. Sorry for not actually helping you with your problem.

Edit: mine is also gear tronic, it will fractionally reduce your mpg.

Last edited by ian7675; Dec 19th, 2012 at 22:10.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 22:53   #17
Zeb246

Out of a diesel that is very bad, at most I will get 25.8mpg on the motorway. Still bloody low, so tomorrow I am going to add Millers additive and a full tank of Shell diesel, then take it on the motorway and see if the mpg goes up.

Everything is absolutely fine on the car, engine and gearbox are fine, and no messages on the dash.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:11   #18
sprout99
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb246 View Post
Out of a diesel that is very bad, at most I will get 25.8mpg on the motorway. Still bloody low, so tomorrow I am going to add Millers additive and a full tank of Shell diesel, then take it on the motorway and see if the mpg goes up.

Everything is absolutely fine on the car, engine and gearbox are fine, and no messages on the dash.
Change air and fuel filter anyway.

The Auto's are known for being thirsty as they rev harder.

Ours does 40mpg (Manual) and thats mixed driving with lots making it work for the love of the 5 pot growl.

Ours has done 137K so defo run in and never uses a drop of oil.
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout99 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:29   #19
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Possibly an example of why low milage diesels aren't always a good thing, has it pootled round town all its live and never been stretched? Get it fully upto temp and give it a good high revs blast.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:38   #20
sprout99
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Possibly an example of why low milage diesels aren't always a good thing, has it pootled round town all its live and never been stretched? Get it fully upto temp and give it a good high revs blast.
i had a 4 year old Octavia vRS TDi a while back that had only done 26k
but never been serviced properly and used in frequently and short runs

it wasn't a good car and I sold it
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote