Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 19037

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 17:59   #21
Zeb246

I was driving the car, then I parked up for 5 mins or so (went to the shops). Sat in the car and saw TCS light on, drove the car anyway as I thought it could be a faulty sensor, and straight away I felt the steering position turning left.
Got out of the car to see if there's any damage, and saw the N/S wheel damaged. So I drove slowly and safely back home.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:00   #22
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Your looking at approx. £200 for a new bearing hub (Volvo) or can get 3rd party parts for approx. £60. Then as said above £80 ish for trailing arm. I would guess the suspension itself will be okay.

The next major point I've just picked up from re-reading the thread is, in your picture in post #1 you say the wheel no longer sits straight and shows the steering wheel cantered left approx 30 to 40 Deg??

If the car had only been hit in the rear then the steering wheel would still be virtually true (Straight). This would indicate the front has also suffered some damage too which then on reflection of the damage once more I see there appears to be similar damage to the front wheel too?

This further aparent damage along with the offline steering wheel would then amplify the fact that the car has been damaged on the move and not standing still?

I would therefor have to ask again are you sure that noone decided to borrow your car whilst you were in the house? What about without your knowledge?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (62.5 KB, 34 views)
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:05   #23
Zeb246

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt1 View Post
I know its been said before and if some one showed me them pictures i would say straight away its been rammed into a kerb, i see this all the time when i go to repair alloys. Theirs marks on the rubber and theirs dust off kerb/concrete on one shot so i would say its been kerb theirs no way them wheels would get damaged all the way around like that if a vehicle or bike brushed past as you would have severe panel damage,ive been in the bodyrepair business years and i know the side would had been wiped out for the alloys to be so scuffed Zeb.
Did you lend the vehicle out at all mate as its a strange one that and i would say get alloys refurbed and 4 wheel alignment to see if somthing is bent.Hope you get it sorted let us know the outcome.
Cheers Mark.

I never lended my car to anyone today or yesterday, I was the only person drove the car today. I am completely baffled to what caused the damage, I can only wait until tomorrow and get this damaged sorted. Either way I will have to sort this damage out.

Are Volvo's in general quite strongly built?
Will keep you guy/s posted, and update you the result's tomorrow.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:05   #24
Slackey
It's just a name!

Agree with Sony here, somehow you car has hit a kerb or similar whilst in motion, the damage can only suggest this. Is it possible that someone had access to your keys whilst you were not around? Or asleep maybe?

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:08   #25
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

If a motorbike had hit and done that much damage, you'd have seen a trail of parts including a motorbike and a rider somewhere within 50 meters of the car.

Look closely, there is no damage to the bumper, rear wing, or side-skirts.

The scrape runs the full diameter of the wheel, with dirt on the tyre. It looks like someone bumped a kerb (pretty hard to have done that sort of damage) and doesn't want to admit it. Going sideways into the kerb could have also damaged the front suspension, explaining why your steering wheel is no longer level.

Now, would you like to come clean and tell us what *really* happened?

James
JamesV70R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:15   #26
FaKaWi
Master Member

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:16   #27
Zeb246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Your looking at approx. £200 for a new bearing hub (Volvo) or can get 3rd party parts for approx. £60. Then as said above £80 ish for trailing arm. I would guess the suspension itself will be okay.

The next major point I've just picked up from re-reading the thread is, in your picture in post #1 you say the wheel no longer sits straight and shows the steering wheel cantered left approx 30 to 40 Deg??

If the car had only been hit in the rear then the steering wheel would still be virtually true (Straight). This would indicate the front has also suffered some damage too which then on reflection of the damage once more I see there appears to be similar damage to the front wheel too?

This further aparent damage along with the offline steering wheel would then amplify the fact that the car has been damaged on the move and not standing still?

I would therefor have to ask again are you sure that noone decided to borrow your car whilst you were in the house? What about without your knowledge?

100% positive no one drove my car, apart from myself. No one else is insured on the car apart from me, I live on my own, single. I was focusing on the damage of the N/S wheel so didn't look at the front wheel. Part's don't seem too expensive, so I can order them from Volvo.

Do you reckon the front suspension will be damaged?
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:19   #28
TEZ-1

I think some one was having a little play and pushed it a bit to much. That's my theory.
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:22   #29
Slackey
It's just a name!

Come on you can come clean now..... You were hoofing it around a bend misjudged it and hit the kerb ....... You are amongst friends here

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 18:22   #30
markt1
Trader

Zeb all cars will not stand that kind of impact my s40 is no stronger than a skoda unless of course your in my landrover 90 with its 235/85/18 which can drive over boulders
Get it booked in tomorrow for alignment or should i say investigation then take it from their its not major don't worry lifes too short!
Cheers Mark.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markt1 For This Useful Post: