Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 knocking/clunking noise fix?

Views : 5595

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2018, 17:33   #1
D5Russ

Default S60 knocking/clunking noise fix?

Hi everyone, first post on the forum.

I begun my Volvo S60 D5 ownership last July and so far i've been really impressed but for the last few months i have a knocking/clunking noise that i can't seem to sort.

I've done a far bit of research on S60's and the usual knocking/clunking noise suspects. So far i've replaced the lower gearbox mount with polybushes, Upper engine mount with a polybush, lower drivers side engine mount, both front ARB droplinks and replaced the driveshaft bolts with XC90 ones. None of these parts have cured this knocking/clunking sound.

It'll make the noise when pulling off or coming to a stop, going over bumps at low speed and ocasionally when turning right. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side and i swear i can feel it on the footwell when it clunks.

After more research i discovered that Volvo released a service bulletin due to a very similar fault to what i'm having. Volvo describe it as "A knocking noise that may occur when driving at low speeds on uneven road or at sharp turns, can be caused by one of the the rear subframe bushings moving in the sub-frame. The knocking can sometimes also be felt in the floorboard under the drivers feet."

Volvo say to install an O-ring between the sub-frame and the bodywork on the rear bushings on both left and right side as a service solution.

The part number for these subframe O-rings is 8638585. They can be ordered online from the USA but P+P charges seem to be £25+.

My plan is to order some of these O-rings and hopefully they'll cure the problem, although does anyone know where these O-rings can be purchased from in the UK? I'm guessing they can be ordered froma main dealer? Or does anyone on the forum sell them?

Thanks in advance
D5Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 18:31   #2
The Edge

Suspension Strut top mounts.
The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 18:34   #3
D5Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
Suspension Strut top mounts.
How would one test if these need replacing?

I did the test on the strut top mount nuts, put a spanner on them and tried turning them round. They both moved about quarter of a turn and sprang back, passenger side performing better that the drivers side though.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 19:48   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

No mention of testing or even visually inspecting the function of the vacuum engine mounts.
Also, is the gearbox a good 10-20mm clear of the subframe rubber stopper?
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 19:59   #5
D5Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
No mention of testing or even visually inspecting the function of the vacuum engine mounts.
Also, is the gearbox a good 10-20mm clear of the subframe rubber stopper?
Just watched a video on how to check the vacuum mounts, so i'll check them tomorrow.

Where is the subframe rubber stopper located? I'm guessing in front of the gearbox near the torque mount?
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 20:41   #6
bkulcsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Russ View Post
Hi everyone, first post on the forum.
Volvo say to install an O-ring between the sub-frame and the bodywork on the rear bushings on both left and right side as a service solution.

The part number for these subframe O-rings is 8638585. They can be ordered online from the USA but P+P charges seem to be £25+.

My plan is to order some of these O-rings and hopefully they'll cure the problem, although does anyone know where these O-rings can be purchased from in the UK? I'm guessing they can be ordered froma main dealer? Or does anyone on the forum sell them?

Thanks in advance
I had been in the same boat, as you are right now. Spoken to a Volvo dealer about the O-rings the service bulletin mentions. He told me that the service bulletin refers to petrol engines ONLY. There are no D5 Volvos in the US.

I suggest you watch this video another forum member (oragex) posted on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy08iEdvEwg
bkulcsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 21:08   #7
The Edge

Quote:
How would one test if these need replacing?

I did the test on the strut top mount nuts, put a spanner on them and tried turning them round. They both moved about quarter of a turn and sprang back, passenger side performing better that the drivers side though.
Mine seemed fine, but replacement fixed the noise which I would have bet my house on being drop links.

I didn't test, I took advice from a very experienced Indi, who also did the work.
The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 21:10   #8
D5Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkulcsar View Post
I had been in the same boat, as you are right now. Spoken to a Volvo dealer about the O-rings the service bulletin mentions. He told me that the service bulletin refers to petrol engines ONLY. There are no D5 Volvos in the US.

I suggest you watch this video another forum member (oragex) posted on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy08iEdvEwg
Thanks for the link, i'll check that too tomorrow.

What difference would fitting the subframe O-rings make on petrol and diesel models? Surely both models use the same subframes and that would mean that they could both have the same fault?
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:11   #9
bkulcsar

Quote:
Thanks for the link, i'll check that too tomorrow.

What difference would fitting the subframe O-rings make on petrol and diesel models? Surely both models use the same subframes and that would mean that they could both have the same fault?
According to the dealer I spoke with, the O-rings are not recommended to diesel engines because that would amplify the vibration. I didn't quite understand his explanation.
bkulcsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:23   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Where is the subframe rubber stopper located? I'm guessing in front of the gearbox near the torque mount?
It's located under the gearbox in the only place the gearbox could contact the subframe.
It'll be obvious when you look.