Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

18" v 17" tyres

Views : 754

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:01   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default 18" v 17" tyres

As we have a forecast for snow, I have swapped over my 18" summer wheels for 17" winter tyres, and I had forgotten how much more compliant the ride is. Yes I understand the reasons why, but people often ask how much different the ride quality is. I knew 17" was better, I'd just forgotten by how much.
Additionally, the tyres no longer rub on full lock as they did on 18" tyres.

So now I'm looking forward to the snow, so I can go play with the Landies...

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 16:51   #2
old onions

I just swapped my 225/45 x 17 alloys for my winter tyres which are 205/55 x 16 on steel rims. I also find the difference very marked and am amazed every time I do it.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 16:58   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

I've just swapped my alloy 205/55/16 summer tyres for 195/65/15 steelie winter tyres and am always amazed at the improvement in handling and comfort ........
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 19:26   #4
Theeggman

I haven't thought about swapping my wheels etc. From I've read / heard on this thead why bother?

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 21:53   #5
mentepazza

Just swapped from 17” to 15”. It’s impressive the comfort you get out off the 15” alloy.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 10:20   #6
myfirstv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
I've just swapped my alloy 205/55/16 summer tyres for 195/65/15 steelie winter tyres and am always amazed at the improvement in handling and comfort ........
I've done the same a month ago and now enjoy the 'magic carpet' ride experience! Last night I was driving in appalling conditions; 1 degree, rain, sleet, standing water, dark - basically about as grotty as it gets. To my surprise a driver of a Fiat 500 was oblivious to me and changed lanes into mine while I was next to her....it was full stomp on the brakes, ABS pumping away and I'm convinced if I were on summer tyres I would be filling in an accident claims form now. Many folks in the UK haven't tried winter tyres and the difference is night and day; it's difficult to believe a change of compound and pattern can influence driving safety so much. If nothing else your nice alloys will stay looking nice for a lot longer!....It occurred to me after my near collision that only minor damage ie a wing and a headlight would probably have 'Black Thunder' as we call her (tongue very much in cheek!) written off. For me, that would be a disaster.....Can you love your car too much - you're right - I need help!
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 13:19   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Theeggman said, "I haven't thought about swapping my wheels etc. From I've read / heard on this thead why bother?"

a) You must've thought about it because you've read about it.
b) You simply must show me (us) where Winter tires result in any manner of worthless or insignificant improvement.

In wet, colder or snowy conditions the difference between Winter tires and "All-Season" or "Summer radials" is night and day.

It's time to put mine on as we had our freak "early snow" and the S-word has been used in forecasts regularly since.

Seriously Eggman, don't crack up (get it?). Driving on Winter tires is smart and effective.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 14:11   #8
myfirstv70

Default Give it a try....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeggman View Post
I haven't thought about swapping my wheels etc. From I've read / heard on this thead why bother?
Seriously, if you haven't ever tried them give them a go - get a drive in something that has them fitted....In the wet they drive more or less like summer tyres do in the dry but don't take my word for it. In the snow its zero drama unless you drive like a muppet.
Cheers,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 09:33   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeggman View Post

....cos you can go play with the Landies

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 23:15   #10
2.4TSE
Master Member

My wife's C30 T5 runs on 225 (not the original 215) / 45 x 18 Dunlop SPtyres on the original alloy wheels for most of the year but 205 / 55 x 16 steel wheels with Nokian WR G2 tyres in the winter.

With their taller sidewall I don't like the damping float that the Nokians give at speed on undulating roads and they are certainly noisier than the Dunlops, but there is no denying that the comfort factor is in a different league - as is the amount of grip, even in the dry, when temperatures are a couple of degrees above freezing, or less.

Then there's grip on low friction surfaces. My wife and I left a hotel last winter in the morning of the first Warwickshire snowfall. The car par was blocked by a VW Passat 4motion spinning all four wheels on a gentle rise of a road with snow compacted almost to ice. In second gear with a gentle throttle, the C30 drove through 4 or 5 inches of powder snow to make a new way out of the car park and then up to, and straight past the Passat on the same slippery surface. Not even a wink of traction control light. In this circumstance at least, winter tyres and a free diff easily trumped summer tyres and Haldex clutches.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote