Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Idiots' guide to replacing the fuel flap hinge

Views : 64023

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 14:56   #21
Rufe
TRADER

the fuel flap hinges on these p2 models are every common parts, we generally keep about 10 of them on the shelf at any one time, and supply them in 10's to local independents. very easy to fit though, and pretty cheap which is something, but they are a very weak (and bad) design.

Personally for around a fiver for a new one i wouldnt bother with a second hand one. Biggest bit of advice we tell our customers is to fit the hinge to the flap first, then attach the flap to the car.

I supply them at £5.49 plus postage which is £1.14 Royal Mail 2nd Class recorded delivery (part number 31265160, which was 30649879)

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rufe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 13:47   #22
rigormo2

Default V70 fuel filler flap hinge

Thanks to OllieG I have just replaced broken hinge on my 2001 V70. Worked in slightly modified way to Ollie.

1. Punched out pins and removed hinge and flap to kitchen table.
2. Pressed the spring out of the hinge but left attached to the flap.
3. Removed hinge from flap (breaking the remaining bit of hinge plastic.
4. Now the hard part. Pressed the new hinge onto the flap spindle. Found this difficult on a cold day and feared breaking the new part. Warmed the plastic hinge, added a bit of vaselene to the spingle and tried again - successfully.
5. Pressed the spring into place on the new hinge.
6. Replaced the new unit into the car tapping the pins home.
WARNING: tapping the first pin (top) popped the pin straight through and was lost into bodywork. Rplaced this with a suitable bit of old broken knitting pin (never throw anything away). Pressed and/or tapped the remaining pins in - some go easier than others for some reason.

Price from Volvo dealer in Jan 2008 was £6.56 incl VAT.
rigormo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rigormo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 18:43   #23
Merckenzie

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the photo sequence. Removing the flap was a doddle, cutting the old one off was a bit more tricky. Followed the self tapper screw advice.

Thanks again.

Merckenzie
Merckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 00:11   #24
OllieG

The photos got lost on a server that's died, here's the original post again with the photos re-linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieG View Post
I did mine at the weekend. As it's not even mentioned in the Haynes manual, but is very easy, I took some pictures. Here's how to do it (takes 5-10 mins).

You will need:
1) Awl/small punch
2) Small Hammer
3) Crocodile nosed pliers
4) New hinge bracket (£6.11 inc VAT)

Step-by-step guide
Click on the thumbnails to see larger versions.

Punch out the 4 pins on the existing hinge (look at the new hinge to confirm locations).

Remove the flap & old hinge bracket and clean up the bodywork.

Remove the spring from the flap (top first) and unclip the old hinge (doesn't matter if you break this, but take care not to bend the metal hinge spindle on the flap.

Take new hinge bracket out of packaging.

Carefully press hinge bracket onto flap (again taking care not to bend the metal hinge on the flap) and (inset) replace spring, bottom first.

Position the bracket on the vehicle and carefully tap the top and bottom pins into position. This will hold the flap in place whilst you perform the next (and trickiest) step. Use pliers to hold the last two pins steady while you hammer them in. Once started, it can be easier to use the awl and hammer to tap them fully home.

In place of the last step, you could do as v70_cymru has and use 4x½" No.6 stainless steel self-tapper screws to secure the bracket to the car.

Carefully (this is the bit that broke before, don't want to break the new bracket just yet!) press the spring into the clips on the bracket.

Job done!

I imagine it will be similar for other models.
OllieG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to OllieG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:07   #25
Barnsley-Bill
VOC Member

My T5 hinge is ok its the lug that locks to the car body thats broke can these be fixed or do I need a new flap ?.
Barnsley-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:44   #26
c-a

Thanks for a great post (I used self tappers after I broke two pins trying to pop them in - makes it much easier).

Cheers.

Col

Last edited by TheJoyOfSix; Mar 7th, 2009 at 15:16. Reason: to get smilie working
c-a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c-a For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:00   #27
V70xc_Sydney

Default Fuel Flap hinge replacement

Thanks mate for the excellent instructions as I'd just replaced my yesterday and a friend pointed me to your detailed instructions AFTER I'd done it myself. But glad I did it the same way you did and therefore not broken anything! Although I now have to replace the white "hook" that the plunger holds the flap when it is closed as that white bit is broken!
Cheers
V70xc_Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 20:22   #28
tabback

Mine broke today just as i was about to fill up ........ opened the flap and it went. Was not too sure what had happened but after a quick search on google came across this site.

Due to some excellent posts & instructions i will give it a go once i have managed to get the parts.
tabback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 21:29   #29
tabback

Smile

Picked up hinge from my local Volvo dealer earlier on in the day and fitted tonight, took about 15 minutes in total.

Total cost £6.56

Found it easier to use a panel pin punch to knock the inner pins in on the replacement rather than hold with pliers.

Many thanks to those that take the time to give detailed instructions on how to carry out effective repairs and help keep costs down........... i need to with a S60 T5 that averages 19 mpg (most probably broke due to all those refuelling stops).
tabback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tabback For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 21:11   #30
Buzz123

Default Fuel flap hinge replacement

Thanks for the great instructions. I replaced mine today for a 2001 S60. I broke two pins and was able to get one back in. The other was impossible to get in so I used a self tapping screw. I can't believe that Volvo has this flimsy part. Thanks again.
Buzz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzz123 For This Useful Post: