Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Have I wrecked my C70's clutch?

Views : 893

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:17   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Unhappy Have I wrecked my C70's clutch?

So... because I'm running out of jobs to do on my C70 before I take it to the garage for a brake overhaul and MoT I decided I'd bleed the clutch (can't bleed the brakes because the nipples are all seized).

So I got out my eezibleed kit and got to work, I've done it a few times before so thought I knew what I was doing..

Connected it all up with fresh brake fluid in the bottle and started bleeding the clutch.. It was fine at first but then it gargled and I saw just air coming out with some vaporised form of brake fluid and the fluid wasn't going down in the bottle, I was a bit confused at first so I tightened up the bleed nipple and tried again, the same thing happened.

I then checked everything and found that the hose from the top of the fresh fluid bottle wasn't in place so it was pulling up air and not fluid - therefore probably pushing air through the clutch..

I put the tube back on and tried again, I thought it worked as fluid then came out of the clutch bleed nipple, when no more bubbles were there I tightening it up and disconnected everything...

Then when I came to test it... I put my foot on the clutch with the engine off and it was incredibly light, so that was my first worry.. Then I turned the engine on and tried to bring up the clutch very slowly in 1st gear, it won't get the biting point, but you can hear a brushing sound, so I assume this is the gearbox brushing past the clutch and not connecting?

My question is... Have I caused some sort of damage to the clutch? And what should I do? Have I just trapped some air in the system and need to bleed it out with a load of new fluid to free the air or what?

Any help would be appreciated!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 04:32   #2
PNuT
MaDMaN

If you have air in the clutch hydraulic system it wont disengage the clucth which by your post sounds the opposite?

It sounds like you cant get the clutch to engage?
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 08:07   #3
volvo again
Master Member

I would suggest bleeding all over again, is there a seperate clutch master cylinder or combined with the brake m/c?
Get someone to operate the pedal while you check the slave cylinder is operating the lever
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 09:12   #4
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
I would suggest bleeding all over again, is there a seperate clutch master cylinder or combined with the brake m/c?
Get someone to operate the pedal while you check the slave cylinder is operating the lever
About to bleed it again using the 2 person approach, yes clutch feels very light and won't engage.

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:02   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I found with the Eezibleed on the brakes it needed quite low pressure and a couple of times to get it right.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:06   #6
StatusRed
Premier Member

I've now just done the 2-person bleeding operation and I think it's OK... I actually think it was OK in the first place..

After I'd rebled the clutch and tested it I then put the front on axle stands for some other work, I turned the engine on again and tested the clutch and it was the same symptom as yesterday, but on the ground I could feel the car getting the biting point...

Is this basically what I should expect when the front of the car is in the air - not feeling the biting point and hearing a brushing noise as the clutch is coming up?

I'm just about to lower the car and test it still gets the biting point again. The clutch still feels a bit light compared to how it was before but I'm thinking there was nothing wrong to begin with..

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 12:07   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question

Just lowered the car and I can feel the biting point.. So I think nothing is wrong after all.

Tags
bleed, brakes, c70, clutch