Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashboard brake warning lights

Views : 1026

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 20:37   #1
AlanK

I'm experiencing a problem with my 1974 164: the brake warning lights on the dash are not going out.
Everything appears in order i.e. hand-brake is all the way down, no leaks or problems with brake system, etc, but yet the lights stay on.
The only relevant change that's occurred is that one of the rear brake slave cylinders was replaced.
The mechanic who replaced the slave cylinder then also bled the brakes.
When I picked the car up, I remember releasing the hand-brake all the way down, but both dash lights were still on; then, as I moved the car forward, the lights went off but then at the end of the mechanics driveway I gently braked to turn on to the road and as soon as I did so the dash lights came on and have not gone off since.
That was last week Sunday.
I've had a fiddle with the button under the hand brake but no change.
I've also had a look under the bonnet at the brake pipe junction box which has the sender unit for the brake lights on the dash, given that a fiddle but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this type of problem before?
Any suggestions?

Please feel free to reply to this post or email me on alan@rls.uk.com.

Many thanks and kind regards
Alan Kemp
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 20:56   #2
blue72
I need to get out more

Hi, i've had this problem, or a similar one at least on my old 144. It was a worn button under the handbrake, not noticeable when you just let the brake off. Do the lights go out with the brake in the "on" position and your thumb pressing the switch down? If the dash lights are still on, I would suspect a faulty switch mechanism opposed to a worn down button top. Other than that, could be a faulty switch under the bonnet at the reservior. Oh, and make sure the reservior has enough fluid of course, you probally have anyway.
blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 20:53   #3
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Sorry I missed this thread - been too busy trying to get my 164E running properly to read this!
That button under the handbrake lever is a bit, er, sensitive on my 164TE. With the engine running (do it on the flat!) release the handbrake and fiddle with that button to see if it is in fact that. It has some adjustment on it, but not much.
If not, and assuming there is no fault in the master cylinder (lack of fluid or massive air pocket preventing brakes functioning) it must be that removable plug on the splitter block on the inner wing. This merely has to be unscrewed then re-fitted: no fluid leaks out - it merely resets the system after it has been disturbed for whatever reason.
The only other occasion I have experienced this is when I had a brief "all lights on" on my sadly departed 265 a couple of years ago. Very worrying at the time but as nothing transpired afterwards, and it reverted back to normal after a few seconds, I put that down to me driving through a vast puddle!

Paul the 164s
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:59   #4
AlanK

Thanks for the replies.
The problem was a faulty sender unit in the splitter on the inner wing.
Once that was replaced the lights went out and now operated normally.

Regards
Alan