Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145s Holley Sniper + questions

Views : 5594

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2023, 17:19   #11
142 Guy
Master Member

This is a really interesting mystery car!

I have attached the parts manual diagram showing the front door parts for a 144 / 145 and the door parts for a 142. #20 is the early door handle (my car has them) and #33 is the later recessed door handle. The parts manual (attached) indicates that the 145 would have had the early door handles up to chassis # 103379 and part #33 starts with 145 chassis # 103380. The attached scan from my 1971 North American sales brochure clearly shows the 145 with the early door handles. Also notice in the brochure the seats with the side-ways pleats rather than your longitudinal pleats which came in 1972.

So your doors, seats and the seat belt buckle all suggest 1972. Your build plate is 1970 and I notice that the dash is black and the real clincher is that you still have the long shift lever. The 1972 dash looked the same as the early black dash; but, had a fake woodgrain finish instead of a textured black and the 1972 had a revised transmission tunnel which allowed the short shift gear stick. It also looks like the car has the later 3 piece front grill which came out in 1971

Perhaps a previous owner found a 1972 or 1973 144 or 145 that had been in a collision and decided to do some upgrades to the car? That doesn't particularly matter. It is a really nice looking 145 which may or may not be 100% original with what may be an interesting history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door parts.jpg (147.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg early door handle.jpg (54.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg door part numbers _2.jpg (68.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Volvo 14520230820.jpg (189.2 KB, 5 views)
142 Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 13:48   #12
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by almex View Post
Hola,

I bought this 1970 145s a few months ago from an auction here in Mexico. I was not planning to bid, went with a friend, blah blah. It's my first Volvo. It was running poorly so I converted it to EFI with a Holley Sniper 2300, which so far has been better much that the carbs. I live at 7000 feet so fuel injection with an O2 sensor is nice to have considering that lunch is often in nearby Cuernavaca, 3000 feet lower.

So the car looks original but I don't know... Are the painted not chrome bumpers original? Is the interior original? Anyway I am finally enjoying the car after a few months of very slow work installing the EFI conversion.
Did you get a manifold off the shelf or did you convert one?

what manifold is in the photo?
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 18:34   #13
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post

That looks like one of the Redline Weber manifolds used for the Weber 32/36 DGEV conversions

https://www.carburetion.com/Products...part=99002.845
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 17:16   #14
almex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post

I used a Pierce brand manifold for Weber DGV to b20 conversion and a DGV to Holley adapter plate. I bought the manifold and adapter on ebay, they where both old stock. I did have to trim the stock volvo exhaust manifold. I used a Morso brand kit for the fuel return line, it returns to the tank in the filler tube. I spent about 34,000 pesos or about 1550 pounds in total. That includes the 123ignition distributor and the Holley 2300 Sniper EFI kit. The original SU carbs needed to be rebuilt and I could not find anyone in Mexico I trusted to do it and fuel injection works better than carbs at the 6800 feet of altitude I live at.
almex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 21:08   #15
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almex View Post
The original SU carbs needed to be rebuilt and I could not find anyone in Mexico I trusted to do it and fuel injection works better than carbs at the 6800 feet of altitude I live at.
6800 feet! Now that you have added EFI you need to fit a turbocharger to recover the power lost compared to a B20 running at sea level.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 23:47   #16
almex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
6800 feet! Now that you have added EFI you need to fit a turbocharger to recover the power lost compared to a B20 running at sea level.
It's easy to add a low boost blow through turbo, supposedly, with the sniper kit, it's designed for it? All you need is to fabricate a J pipe/downpipe and add a carb hat for the turbo to blow through, the little tunning dongle has settings for adding a turbo. I already have a turbocharged 2017 Mazda MX5 with 260whp and a turbocharged Clio 182 with 250whp. I've been enjoying driving the Volvo slowly around the little town I live part time in, lots of cobblestones and dirt roads, I like the pushrod and induction sounds and smooth ride, for now...
almex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 20:53   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

If you are enjoying the slow speed cruise then carry on!
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 18:18   #18
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
That looks like one of the Redline Weber manifolds used for the Weber 32/36 DGEV conversions

https://www.carburetion.com/Products...part=99002.845
Yes, it’s. I have one with dgev on my 1970 145.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 10:22   #19
RCHunt

I have just noticed this thread. My 142 rally car was fitted with a Holley carb when I bought it. This was almost totally unknown in the UK. The manifold was made by Hansen in Sweden, they informed me that it had been quite popular in Sweden at the time but I couldn't get any information relating to rallying at that time which I would need for it to easily qualify a pre 1968 historic rally car in the UK. I swapped it for a pair of SUs which I don't think were any better or worse but certainly more acceptable in historic rallying circles.
RCHunt is offline   Reply With Quote