Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 II Performance Brakes/Pads

Views : 1028

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 11:27   #1
scottiecb19

Default XC90 II Performance Brakes/Pads

Hi All,

I need to replace the brakes and pads on my D5 XC90 II (2018). I was hoping to replace them with some performance discs/pads, ideally drilled/groove brakes (yes, I am a boy racer stuck in a middle-aged man's body), but I'm struggling to find many options. Euro Car Parts can't assist, neither can local garages from Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc. Looking online, I've found a brand called MTEC, but they don't have the greatest reviews on Trustpilot, plus I've never heard of them. I'm not out for a full brake conversion (even if Brembo did one), I'm jus trying to give myself something extra in performance as well as look. I have a garage who can fit them if I supply the parts. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help.
scottiecb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 12:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiecb19 View Post
Hi All,

I need to replace the brakes and pads on my D5 XC90 II (2018). I was hoping to replace them with some performance discs/pads, ideally drilled/groove brakes (yes, I am a boy racer stuck in a middle-aged man's body), but I'm struggling to find many options. Euro Car Parts can't assist, neither can local garages from Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc. Looking online, I've found a brand called MTEC, but they don't have the greatest reviews on Trustpilot, plus I've never heard of them. I'm not out for a full brake conversion (even if Brembo did one), I'm jus trying to give myself something extra in performance as well as look. I have a garage who can fit them if I supply the parts. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help.
You wont find anything at all to outperform the standard brakes on the public highway. perhaps a can of red paint might be the best option?
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 14:00   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiecb19 View Post
Hi All,

I think you'll struggle on that front. Not to state the obvious, but its a D5 XC90 - Its not a performance car, hence why there's little performance parts available.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 26th, 2024 at 14:03.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 19:42   #4
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You wont find anything at all to outperform the standard brakes on the public highway. perhaps a can of red paint might be the best option?
This reminds me of the YouTube video that's going around comparing a Volvo braking from high speed and an Audi, the quality of the genuine discs and pads excells!!
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 20:07   #5
sk546
Master Member

It looks like Stoptech do some drilled rotors for the XC90 II (if you are running the 345mm front disc's) but not many stockists in the UK and they are £200 each (different internal vane directions for left and right handed fitting) so far from cheap.

See below link to one of the few stockists I've found:
https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...43333992317149

The other option is to look at big brake kits or fit the Akerbono calipers and rotors as fitted to the XC60 Polestar Engineered cars. Again, really not cheap but from personal experience, the Akerbono's stop amazingly!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 14:38   #6
Murph7355

Waste of time and money IMO.

If you don't have the Polestar upgrade, maybe do that first. But from experience, while these can be thrown around, there's little point as it's pleasurable for nobody 😁
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 18:55   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

volvo brakes are more than capable of makeing the abs kick in. up graded brakes are not needed. any brakes are only as good as the avalable grip on the road surface.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 19:23   #8
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
volvo brakes are more than capable of makeing the abs kick in. up graded brakes are not needed. any brakes are only as good as the avalable grip on the road surface.
Upgrading of brakes is not all about gaining more power in the braking system (although usually this is a happy by-product), its mostly to do with heat management and durability after repeat heavy stops from higher speed, things only done when driving enthusiastically on demanding roads.
Yes, Volvos stock brakes work fine under normal driving circumstances (which most Volvo drivers keep to) but they dont stand up to prolonged heavy use very well.

If the OP wants to drive his car in a manner that requires better brakes and he has the funds to install better brakes, why wouldn't he do it just because in some others opinions, its not worth it?
Just because you're happy to bimble about doesn't mean thats how we all drive around, some of us like to push on when the road and conditions allow.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 20:57   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Looking at a police spec XC90 it looked to have pretty standard fitment brakes, they get cained, must be able to handle it ok. Unless they are upgraded but didn’t look it.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 22:34   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

on some of the earler volvos police spec pads were available aimed at keeping brakes effective due to all the extra road saftey equipment which was permenantly carried .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote