Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

... and we need this because........

Views : 2086

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:30   #21
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Well clearly the Police vehicle I met with one flash thought it was enough after one....
you shouldnt have been waving it around in the wind

i prefer to have indicators on when i lane change, like TT82 said, i dont like the three flash thing, its aukward if you suddenly need to change your mind.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 14:03   #22
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
you shouldnt have been waving it around in the wind

i prefer to have indicators on when i lane change, like TT82 said, i dont like the three flash thing, its aukward if you suddenly need to change your mind.
Only because you don't know the correct way to use them

Tip one time to change lane. It will flash three times. If you, whilst it is flashing, tip in the other direction, it will only flash ONCE in the other direction...

I think it flashes correctly, but then again, I don't use it much, as I don't turn off really that much around here

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 16:13   #23
pagan8c
Master Member

Well I for 1 like my 'Gismos'.I think the adaptive cruise control is great.I like the 'bliss' system I like the city safe and the rain sensing wipers which work well for me.I like my auto gearbox my speed limiter (saves speeding tickets) Electric drivers seat,Electronic handbrake etc etc .I would certainly not want to return to the good old days of basic cars.I like technology!!
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 16:15   #24
Spike1918
Looney

In that case you`ll be happy to pay to have it sorted when it inevitably goes wrong too?

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike1918 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 19:48   #25
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
In that case you`ll be happy to pay to have it sorted when it inevitably goes wrong too?
That's what scares me....10 years time there will be cars sitting in a compound waiting to be crushed....good engines,good bodywork...killed by the cost of fixing modern technology. I like modern technology,but do we really need all of it?
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 20:09   #26
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
The idea behind the 3 flash feature is to 'make it easy' to indicate a lane change.

However, advanced motorists recognise that the ideal number of flashes for a lane change is one flash for each 10mph. Therefore, that 3 flash is only really any good in town. Think about it... would you feel comfortable giving only 3 flashes when signalling an intention to change lanes at 70mph on a busy motorway?
Yes, of course I would!

The IAM teach that there should be 100 meters between you and the car in front of you. 100 meters is also the distance between the white, red and blue markers at the side of the hard shoulder so it's easy to tell the distance. Logic would conclude that if you don't get closer to 100m of the car infront of you, then you really shouldn't be pulling back in infront of another car without having the same gap.

If 100 meter gap isn't enough to make sure that nothing happens then were all doomed.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 08:41   #27
pagan8c
Master Member

I must admit I try to have cars that are fairly new so they are usually within warranty so the costs are not a problem,but I understand when they get older the costs can certainly mount up.I just hope that I can keep on affording the newer ones.However I only do about 7000 miles a year so I hope they don't have too many problems as they don't hit the mileages you guys do.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:08   #28
ian7675

Smile

Just to elaborate on why I said I don't like the three flashes, It just doesn't suit my driving as more often than not, I need more than 3 so I want to be able to cancel it when I want to so I always end up using the full indicator.

When on a motorway it is my opinion that I need to indicate to other drivers of my intentions so its pointless starting to indicate at the same time as manoeuvring so I let the indicator flash at least once or twice before I even start to change lanes so I usually need 5 or 6 flashes maybe more. I just think this gives other drivers a better warning of what I'm doing and they can react accordingly should there be the need.

Around town the indicator can flash 10,20 or 30 times in most circumstances. Also should I accidentally knock the indicator stalk then I can't cancel it, other drivers then think I'm about to manoeuvre. I personally just like better control over these automatic things in vehicles. Anal? Probably
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:10   #29
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Traffic Jam Assistance? Hope it works better than this.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote