Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0 d 2004 ray chapman motors

Views : 883

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 15:38   #1
rickardrydell

Angry S40 2.0 d 2004 ray chapman motors

I am writing this on behalf of my father who is currently being taken for a ride by the above dealer.

This is my dad's 7th Volvo, since 1988 and 1st from Ray Chapmans.

In April this year, the car decided to go into "limp mode" showing brake failure messages and running with the wipers, indicators all going at the same time.
In the car went and after being "fixed" and presented with a bill for over £600everything should have been sorted, but no.......

The car has since broken down 3 times and is currently in the workshop, a total of almost a month off the road.

The dealer in question cannot find a fault and despite informing them of the various issues shown in this forum, still fail to diagnose any problem.

The service manager, even had the cheek to ask my dad "if this was his 1st Volvo"

Any ideas. A £20000 S40 is currently sat in a workshop, with my parents paying tax, insurance, and the fuel which the dealer is using and not replacing. Oh and the car is yet to be cleaned in any way shape or form.
rickardrydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 17:31   #2
rickardrydell

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 17:43   #3
Penguinistics
VOC Member

If I had to guess I would say there's an issue with the controller area network (CAN) in your Dad's car. Pretty much everything in the car is daisy chained together on the CAN and communicate using it. I'd be looking for some damaged wiring, perhaps shorted to ground intermitently or otherwise - exactly where that damage would be is another thing entirely
Penguinistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 17:50   #4
rickardrydell

They have replaced an ECU on the steering column and this did bugger all because after two weeks in the workshop no fault could be found.

30 miles up the road after collecting the car...same problem...4th time
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 18:28   #5
Penguinistics
VOC Member

Has the garage tried hooking up an oscillascope to the CAN lines? There are two key wired called CAN High and CAN Low that carry info in the form of signal pulses of specific lengths - CAN Low mirrors the CAN High signal. With an oscillascope the garage could have alook at how noisy the signal was.

They could also do continuity checks
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:34   #6
rickardrydell

Angry

The Master Technician went to go home in the car on Tuesday and guess what.....it failed on him!

So now they are fitting a another part for £400. That over a grand in total.

The car is four years old and has done just over 30k. What a joke.

Ray Chapman really is taking the p**s
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:20   #7
Penguinistics
VOC Member

Welcome to the world of modern electronics. Practically nobody knows how to troubleshoot due to the complexity involved. It might be worth reminding this garage that you're not paying them to learn how to fix your car - they should already know. Also the additional £400 is probably another guess on their part - might be an educated guess but probably not - what is it they're now swapping?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:13   #8
rickardrydell

This just gets better..

They are 99% sure its the £400 part, but they are waiting until the car fails again with them driving it, before ordering this new part.

WHY NOT JUST FIT THE PART AND GET THE CAR BACK ON THE ROAD?????