Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear passenger door won't open

Views : 8355

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:47   #21
Lexman8
Premier Member

The Sale of Goods Act has been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The above quote is taken from the latter.

The Act doesn't specify an absolute time limit (except in certain circumstances) for how long goods should be suitable for the intended purpose but it would probably be reasonable to expect door locks on a car to last more than 3 years particularly if more than one has failed as that may point to a design or manufacturing weakness.

One might argue that the fact that Volvo have offered a contribution implies recognition of a problem. However, no doubt the small print will attempt to cover that and they would argue that the're just trying to keep the customer happy. In any case, it can be difficult (ie expensive) to take on large corporations if you really want to go down the legal route.

Generally, firm but friendly negotiating is the best way forward.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:27   #22
Murph7355

Thanks for the nudge guys.

Not quite 100% cover now being offered, but the residual is so small I can't be arsed arguing about it.

Locks arrived today apparently, so car should be back soon.

I sense lots of these are failing, judging by posts here and the fact that locks are seemingly in very short supply. Hopefully they've re-designed them.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 11:16   #23
ab79

My passenger side rear door had the same issue just before Christmas. With the child lock on it was impossible to open the door from inside or out.
I took the door card apart as far as I could, but I got stuck having removed the dozen or so screws around the inner black plastic panel. There are a couple of bolts threaded from the other side and I cannot see how you would remove them.

I took it to the local dealer who fixed it - not easy apparently. A new lock was required (which they had pre-ordered).
The quote was £500+ when I was expecting my independent warranty to pay.
It wasn’t covered by the warranty so the garage apparently contacted Volvo and the price was reduced to £190.
I’m a bit worried it will happen on the other side, so I am being extra careful to wait until the car has unlocked before pulling the handle.

XC90 2016 Momentum
ab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 14:21   #24
Deman77
Master Member

Is your warranty select parts or comprehensive? Who is it with?
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 00:47   #25
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab79 View Post
My passenger side rear door had the same issue just before Christmas. With the child lock on it was impossible to open the door from inside or out.
I took the door card apart as far as I could, but I got stuck having removed the dozen or so screws around the inner black plastic panel. There are a couple of bolts threaded from the other side and I cannot see how you would remove them.

I took it to the local dealer who fixed it - not easy apparently. A new lock was required (which they had pre-ordered).
The quote was £500+ when I was expecting my independent warranty to pay.
It wasn’t covered by the warranty so the garage apparently contacted Volvo and the price was reduced to £190.
I’m a bit worried it will happen on the other side, so I am being extra careful to wait until the car has unlocked before pulling the handle.

XC90 2016 Momentum
As the guys above noted, have a look at the Consumer Rights act. Car can be up to 6yrs old...onus of proof is on you to prove you didn't cause the issue, but if the car/bits of it aren't of the standard reasonably expected then Volvo should cover the whole cost.

To my mind, threads on fora like this noting this is starting to become a regular occurrence strongly suggest Volvo have a design/quality issue on their hands. And door locks are, IMO, a safety item (as well as a security one).

I'd recommend pushing harder next time. Meanwhile would encourage anyone having issues like this to post up on this thread (even if in the past and covered under warranty). Post up which lock(s) and at what age they failed.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 10:51   #26
thesecretsanta

Same issue here on 2015 XC90 Momentum - rear passenger side door not opening from inside or out. Has been same for about 6 weeks now, have tried the fast lock/unlock and giving it a bit of nudge, but stayed firmly shut. Childlock is on as well so inside handle useless anyway.
Booked into dealer on Thursday to fix - it's 4.5yrs old now, but have the 2 yr extended warranty from Volvo so expecting that to cover anything required....

Also noticed that the driver side rear door handle doesn't retract smoothly anymore, needs a gentle push to completely return to normal position - not sure if that just needs oiling up or is the start of a similar problem

Will update once the dealer's taken a look and fixed it
thesecretsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 17:24   #27
thesecretsanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesecretsanta View Post
Same issue here on 2015 XC90 Momentum - rear passenger side door not opening from inside or out. Has been same for about 6 weeks now, have tried the fast lock/unlock and giving it a bit of nudge, but stayed firmly shut. Childlock is on as well so inside handle useless anyway.
Booked into dealer on Thursday to fix - it's 4.5yrs old now, but have the 2 yr extended warranty from Volvo so expecting that to cover anything required....

Also noticed that the driver side rear door handle doesn't retract smoothly anymore, needs a gentle push to completely return to normal position - not sure if that just needs oiling up or is the start of a similar problem

Will update once the dealer's taken a look and fixed it

Car was in for the day for the recalls and door fix. All done - new lock needed as others have found....dealer aware that this was an issue with a number of cars...luckily have the extended warranty direct from Volvo and that covered the cost, but concerned about the other side going after the 6 months of remaining warranty runs out now...
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 21:41   #28
Hoot

We have now had one rear door lock replaced twice, and the other side once. One was done under warranty and the other two were done under the extended select one. FSA all costs were captured by the warrantys.
Each time our doors failed permanently, there was a protracted period leading to permanent failure that we highlighted / had this documented by Volvo straight away to ensure we were covered if we ran out of warranty period.
As mentioned in previous posts this is a well know issue.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 20:34   #29
ab79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Is your warranty select parts or comprehensive? Who is it with?
My independent warranty is with MotorEasy. I unwittingly purchased the level of cover that only pays out in the event of an actual breakdown, requiring the vehicle to be recovered. A broken door handle doesn’t quite meet the criteria.
I have since upgraded the warranty...
ab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:50   #30
thesecretsanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We have now had one rear door lock replaced twice, and the other side once. One was done under warranty and the other two were done under the extended select one. FSA all costs were captured by the warrantys.
Each time our doors failed permanently, there was a protracted period leading to permanent failure that we highlighted / had this documented by Volvo straight away to ensure we were covered if we ran out of warranty period.
As mentioned in previous posts this is a well know issue.
What was happening in the protracted period? Our doorhandle on the one that didn't fail doesn't auto pull-in properly, you have to nudge it for it to return to it's normal position. I have a feeling that might be something to do with it, although might just give it a squirt of WD40 and see if that fixes it...!