Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V90 Trailer module

Views : 4945

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 21:54   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Clan I didn't come here to argue with you so lets agree to disagree. However i will leave you with this thought Rear tail lamp for Volvo FE in a blue and white box £98 same lamp for Volvo dealer in a plain brown box £28 the lamp is made by Valeo the same lamp in each box same manufacturer pt no.

Regards
Brian
I m not arguing at all ... I'm just running through a few facts ..
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 00:06   #32
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:

.................I think the cost of the fold away bar is extortion £1075+VAT as i understanding Ford do the same set up for around £500 and before anyone says its a VOLVO the design is FORDS.
Brian,
Are you saying that a Ford dealer could fit an electric drop down towbar to a V90 for around £500?
Would be great if it is.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 08:32   #33
Wizzpop
Master Member

Ford Mondeo Retractable tow bar £940 RRP
Ford Galaxy Retractable tow bar £1180
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 09:34   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Ford Mondeo Retractable tow bar £940 RRP
Ford Galaxy Retractable tow bar £1180
Thanks for killing some of the increasing amount of hearsay going on here !
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 10:04   #35
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thanks for killing some of the increasing amount of hearsay going on here !
It was hardly difficult, just go to the Ford website and configure a similar car.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 13:02   #36
BWT

Hi Rustyfrog
I did not say Ford could fit a towbar to a V90 i used Ford as an example.
Clan re the Ford price my brother had a Ford Kuga supplied new in April 2019 with the electric towbar the price for this was £523.69 no myth i dont deal in fantasy fact!!!
Anyway i am not interested in this nonsense all i was looking for was technical advise which has not been forthcoming.
I would however like to thank Beavis for his input as he seems to be the only person capable of dealing with the issue i raised.

I wont be visiting this snotty forum again any time soon
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 15:49   #37
Wizzpop
Master Member

BWT,
Sorry you think this is a snotty forum. There are many here who know far more than I do about Volvo SPA cars.
Re prices of tow bars. I am only comparing the recommended retail prices, which for the Kuga is currently £760 (RRP). Maybe it was far less in 2019 or your brother got a good discount. I suspect some people have paid less than RRP for their V90 electric tow bar, but that isn't a fair comparison.

As you say Beavis answered your initial post to the effect that the Volvo module does not work on the later models. Why not is beyond my knowledge although I expect someone here may know.

Last edited by Wizzpop; Jan 27th, 2020 at 15:53.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 00:18   #38
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Hi Rustyfrog
I did not say Ford could fit a towbar to a V90 i used Ford as an example.
Clan re the Ford price my brother had a Ford Kuga supplied new in April 2019 with the electric towbar the price for this was £523.69 no myth i dont deal in fantasy fact!!!
Anyway i am not interested in this nonsense all i was looking for was technical advise which has not been forthcoming.
I would however like to thank Beavis for his input as he seems to be the only person capable of dealing with the issue i raised.

I wont be visiting this snotty forum again any time soon
BWT

Sorry if you think we are a snotty bunch.
I am sure no one on here was looking to cause offense.
Like most forums I have spent time on, the subject matter always tends to wander somewhat.
Also if we all agreed with each other and everything, it would definately be boring.

The cost of some Volvo accessories and upgrades have always raised hackles with some.
Me included as I need a tow bar!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 15:46   #39
BWT

Just thought i would come and enlighten the experts on here who have made certain quotes VOLVO DO supply a fixed towbar in the UK pt no 31664222. It is on their UK accessory site I have just purchased one from the dealer in Edinburgh cost about £150 sorry cant give exact price as i dont have the receipt here. It is also possible to have it coded at Volvo provided you are sharper than the service department who say there is only one download available on VIDA nonsense the pt number of the download required is No 31435637 this for the fixed bar. This switches on all the relevant systems ie trailer stability camera line up light check etc

Regards
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BWT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 17:44   #40
Beavis
Premier Member

Default Selling Genuine Volvo V90 Fixed Towbar and electrics

After using this for 2 years, i'm getting rid of my V90 Momentum in a couple of weeks. Fed up with the unresponsive touch screen which means hand has to hang in the air waiting for it to respond.

As a result, i'll be removing the existing genuine volvo fixed towbar part numbers - 31664222, 31414929 from the car over the next few days. These are no longer sold by Volvo in the UK as they just sell their folding bars for twice the price, but they are type approved and are still sold in europe and other countries.

I purchased this from a UK Volvo dealer and the original receipt/paperwork will be supplied.
This is the instructions - http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...20(17-)%202018

My local dealer tried to download the Volvo software to activate the towing module but was unable to do so. As a result, i then purchased this aftermarket 13 pin kit. https://www.tridenttowing.co.uk/prod...3-pin-vl04813u
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...f?v=1615306256

I then spliced the volvo plug (which sits nicely within the tow bar neck) into this aftermarket kit. The aftermarket kits plugs straight in the rear cables. I did not connect the fog light as that requires a splice into a car cable - which i didn't want to do, and as the trailer and cycle carrier have no fog light i didn't bother doing. Works with no errors on dash.

Some here will say this isn't legitimate volvo - the towbar is - it was sold by a genuine volvo dealer in scotland with receipt. The 13 pin electric plug is original at the towbar end, but now joined with an aftermarket cable to connect direct to the car which avoids the need for the volvo tow module which does not work unless the dealer downloads software, but they can only do that if their computer accepts the vin - hence the plug and play aftermarket. As a result, when i have been towing the car has been fine. I think if you tow a caravan, boat or horsebox you might lose some of the additional traction settings in the towing module, and the reverse camera guide doesn't turn opposite like you'd expect when tow/reversing.

Will be removed from my V90 this weekend. If anyone is interested in buying, i'd be looking to sell collection only from Swindon for £500.
From memory it took me around 2-3 hours to fit - the most time consuming bit initially was splicing the volvo and the aftermarket leads together so they could plug straight into the car without the tow module and without cutting any internal car cables.

I'd prefer not to offer help fitting as i don't have time, but happy to talk through the process over the phone if you need help after purchase and will try and take a few pics/videos when removing.
(this didn't sound right - what it meant to say was - i'm happy to talk through process if needed, but wouldn't want to help fit myself as busy enough at work at moment to spare few hours fitting a towbar)

Last edited by Beavis; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 18:12.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote