Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo in hot water over claim of emissions cheating

Views : 7721

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 09:25   #11
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I certainly hope this doesn't turn out to be true (I would have expected something before now if it were). The reason I came to Volvo was because of dieselgate in the VAG group. I'd previously had a number of Audi and VW diesels based on the MPG and claimed emissions.

Paul
The only group that 'suffered' through dieselgate were the inland revenue! The end usee could actually be placed in a lower VED band and save money. Instead of selling up and buying a new, the greenest option would have been to just keep driving the same car.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:15   #12
roundyuk

Yeah, typical click bait sh***y article.....I read it the other day.

“They believe it must have one fitted because of high emissions at low temperatures”

.....I believe Usain Bolt is doping because he beat me at the 100m!

Yawn...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 08:02   #13
dchbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
The only group that 'suffered' through dieselgate were the inland revenue! The end usee could actually be placed in a lower VED band and save money. Instead of selling up and buying a new, the greenest option would have been to just keep driving the same car.
That's what always got me about the way people complained about VWs cheating - you benefited from it! Ok the environment didn't but the consumer paid less tax as a result.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 17:16   #14
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchbrown View Post
That's what always got me about the way people complained about VWs cheating - you benefited from it! Ok the environment didn't but the consumer paid less tax as a result.

Sadly, most people used it to make a quick buck. I really doubt that buying a new car was the greatest option but if people were that 'concerned ' about the environment they could have always individually re homologated their cars and been safe in the knowledge that the additional road tax they were paying was helping little Greta sleep at night.

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 10:01   #15
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
I'll expand. My choice of car purchase was directly influenced by the fuel efficiency figures when I was looking to purchase a diesel car. VW came out well against the competition when I was looking for that particuliar car. When the controversy was uncovered the way VAG tried to blame a few rogue engineers was disgusting. I am a computer engineer and know how management like to take credit and push for certain things, but if they turn out bad they hang the engineers out to dry. I didn't sell the car immediately because it was under PCP but when the time was up I certainly wasn't going to buy another VAG for some time. I switched to Volvo because of this.

VAG benefitted from additional sales based on a defeat device, their advertising and figures were consequently misleading at best and fraud at worst.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBendall For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 10:59   #16
Whippy
Premier Member

Probably best not get too comfie yet though, this has been rumbling around for years,
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a6674116.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_emissions_scandal
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 11:46   #17
Bendolfc
Premier Member

It is hardly a scandle, it is simply the case that the cars met the standard on the inadequate testing regeme that bore no relevance to the real world.

It is also the reason that NEDC is no longer used and Euro 6 was revised a few times to the current Euro 6 D standard.

It also explains why Volvo started using ad blue, bacause the new testing exposed the fact that EGR alone simply didnt work.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 08:31   #18
BigD66

Default Emissions scandal!!

I also find it odd, that the used a car with Euro 5 engine, it seems that since PPI claims finished, the compensation companies are looking for the next way to make money, because most will take 30 to 40% of any payment

2018 S90 Momentum D4 in Luminous Sand metallic and Saddle Tan Interior

Last edited by BigD66; Apr 25th, 2021 at 08:34. Reason: Forgot to put my car details
BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 10:25   #19
Rocinante
Master Member

I was curious about this, as there was an advert on TV for mydieselclaim.com, which seems to suggest possible compensation from most manufacturers, for diesels from 2007 to 2020.

On the website, if you say you owned (or leased) a Volvo from 2007 to 2020, it says -

"Great! It looks like you meet the criteria to bring a claim against Volvo. We just need some basic contact information to get started with your claim."

As previous posts, though I didn't think Volvo was implicated, but if there's no case surely it's a waste of their time and money ?

Think they may take up to 50%, but if it's free money ?

Last edited by Rocinante; Apr 26th, 2021 at 10:27.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 10:02   #20
m2srt

Ok, I'm expecting a tidal wave of hate for this but here goes. Firstly, i totally agree with Volvo that in cold temperatures the NOX treatment system has to be protected as Adblue (DEF fluid) has a propensity for freezing. So no Diesel engine will be at it's 'greenest' in extreme winter weather. However, as for the Dieselgate scandal, I am somewhat surprised how people were so quick to jump onto the 'lets bash VW' bandwagon when ultimately they benefited from lower ved and bik rates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post: