Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V90 Trailer module

Views : 4956

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 18:38   #21
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
thank you for this helpful post. the dealer who sold me the towbar also identified that part number for the module and its winging it way to me. once fitted i'll see if my local dealer can do the software update.

does anyone know if the software update is to code the module to the car, or if only changes ABS/Stability/reverse sensor settings?
my 10 yr old audi needed the coding to recognise the towing module and wouldn't work until it was coded, whilst my old style XC90 worked fine without the coding and as i was only using the towbar for a bike carrier i never got the software done as i think on that car it would have only helped ABS/stability if towing a caravan.
It will require software update, there are a lot of other things that are activated or de-activated, Auto pilot is de-activated along with stop start, coasting and Bliss, reverse warning beeps are de-activated too, trailer lamp check is added, and trailer stability is activated when trailer plugged in, among other things.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:16   #22
BWT

Hi Folks
This is my first post here and sorry it is to ask for your help
I know this thread has been quite for a few months but thought i would resurrect it as i have just bought a fixed tow bar through the local dealer for 2019 V90.
This is listed with the parts department but no volunteered it was only when i quoted the part number gained from this forum that they found the bar.
I also purchased the towing module i now wonder if this is incorrect in veiw of the number quoted by Beavis the number i purchased is 31454602 can someone please confirm ythis is the correct module.

Thanks in advance
BrianT
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:30   #23
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Hi Folks
This is my first post here and sorry it is to ask for your help
I know this thread has been quite for a few months but thought i would resurrect it as i have just bought a fixed tow bar through the local dealer for 2019 V90.
This is listed with the parts department but no volunteered it was only when i quoted the part number gained from this forum that they found the bar.
I also purchased the towing module i now wonder if this is incorrect in veiw of the number quoted by Beavis the number i purchased is 31454602 can someone please confirm ythis is the correct module.

Thanks in advance
BrianT
Hi Brian,
i was the chap who started this thread. i bought the fixed volvo towbar for my Aug 2019 v90. it fits a treat - no problem there.
i also purchased and tried fitting the tow module, connected to the car. went to the local dealer to activate, but no matter what they tried they could not activate or download the software as apparently as although the my19 V90 can physically take the fixed towbar, its not possible for them to download the software from the My16/17 V90's where the fixed towbar was designed for onto a 2019 chassis.
my local dealers gave it a pretty good go, despite my moaning....they didn;t even charge me for it, so i suppose i should be grateful.
i ended up purchasing this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECS-13-Pi...72.m2749.l2649
after checking the harness worked by plugging into car before fitting, i then cut the wires on both this aftermarket unit and on the volvo towwiring harness. i then spliced them together.
the aftermarket plugs straight into the car perfectly. no activation needed, although i don't think it activates abs etc in tow setting. i only use my towbar for a bike carrier so wasn't concerned about that. the wires are soldered/spliced together and all waterproof up in the boot space.
it works fine for my need.
if i was towing a caravan or something heavier, i might want the extra comfort of knowing the abs will adapt to the towing weight, but at present i don't need that.
plus all the aftermarket kits around won't change those settings as you need the volvo module to do that, which volvo say isn't possible to get the fixed towbar module on a 2019 car. (sure there must be a way)

i now have the genuine volvo harness look o the outside of the car with the latitude direction facing towplug with the aftermarket connections inside the car.

overall, including the towbar, wiring harnesses and wasted module (non returnable to dealer), i probably only spent £300-400 which is around 1/3 of what volvo quoted for a drop down towbar.

goodluck if you decide to go down this route.

(just out of interest, did you get yours from the Perth dealer? thats who i got mine from - it was brand new in box.

Last edited by Beavis; Jan 24th, 2020 at 15:59.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 18:09   #24
BWT

Hi Beavis
Thanks for your response i am now pretty hacked as i have bought the bar and module from the dealer ( they said it was the correct module).
I may just be being a bit slow but cant understand what difference it makes as to whether its a fixed bar or a drop down as the electrics should have nothing to do with the head apart from the switch in the boot unlocking the head.
I do tow caravan so really would like the full functionality of the Volvo kit.
I see a few V90 going about with aftermarket bars so i assume the must be running aftermarket electrics which merely operates the road lights and powers the caravan electrics. If that is the case i will buy a seven pin bypass relay and a 30amp switched relay and do the wiring myself and fight the dealer for the cost of the module.
The bar came from the dealer in Edinburgh after a whole load of tooing and froing.
I think the cost of the fold away bar is extortion £1075+VAT as i understanding Ford do the same set up for around £500 and before anyone says its a VOLVO the design is FORDS.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:05   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Beavis
Thanks for your response i am now pretty hacked as i have bought the bar and module from the dealer ( they said it was the correct module).
I may just be being a bit slow but cant understand what difference it makes as to whether its a fixed bar or a drop down as the electrics should have nothing to do with the head apart from the switch in the boot unlocking the head.
I do tow caravan so really would like the full functionality of the Volvo kit.
I see a few V90 going about with aftermarket bars so i assume the must be running aftermarket electrics which merely operates the road lights and powers the caravan electrics. If that is the case i will buy a seven pin bypass relay and a 30amp switched relay and do the wiring myself and fight the dealer for the cost of the module.
The bar came from the dealer in Edinburgh after a whole load of tooing and froing.
I think the cost of the fold away bar is extortion £1075+VAT as i understanding Ford do the same set up for around £500 and before anyone says its a VOLVO the design is FORDS.
Ford split from volvo 10 years ago ,
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:00   #26
BWT

Clan
I know thank you also split from trucks 25 years ago but they still share certain parts!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:09   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan
I know thank you also split from trucks 25 years ago but they still share certain parts!!!
All the agreements with ford ended in 2019 when the V40 finished , that is the last of the FoMoCo we will see thank goodness . ...
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:27   #28
BWT

Yes i understand that, the point i was making which obviously missed or choose to ignore was the significant price difference.
I did not come to this forum looking for anything other than a bit of help from others who may have had the same issues.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:33   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes i understand that, the point i was making which obviously missed or choose to ignore was the significant price difference.
I did not come to this forum looking for anything other than a bit of help from others who may have had the same issues.
do you get like for like though , that's a bargain for a full towbar, is it electrically release too all for £500 ? A lot of Ford people buy certain key parts from volvo parts as they are cheaper than ford , Did you know a set of rear lights for a MK 5 Mondeo is £1400? It doesn't end there either :-)
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 18:11   #30
BWT

Clan I didn't come here to argue with you so lets agree to disagree. However i will leave you with this thought Rear tail lamp for Volvo FE in a blue and white box £98 same lamp for Volvo dealer in a plain brown box £28 the lamp is made by Valeo the same lamp in each box same manufacturer pt no.

Regards
Brian