Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Carb running rich

Views : 969

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 18:38   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Carb running rich

Hi, H4. 1.1/2"on B16 running rich The plug is really sooty after a long run. I have the jet adjustment nut up as far as it will go. Will this be the result of worn Needle/jet assembly or should I be looking elsewhere?
Needle as spec' GT.

Sorted! the jet wasn't going up all the way as you can see in photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200902_01.jpg (236.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20200902_02.jpg (175.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Sep 2nd, 2020 at 20:24.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 20:28   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

That Jet is still waaaay below flush with Jet Housing, and raised to flush is where I would adjustment to to allow it to be adjusted to...

I'd first check why Jet is not able to be adjusted to flush, but just for reference, other possible causes for a rich mixture: Metering Needle mounted recessed into Dashpot, worn MN.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:04   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

Well, it seems that for some reason, the adjuster nut is not moving the jet. My humble guess is that the entire jet assembly is spinning in the housing as you turn the adjuster nut. There is a locking nut higher up, above the adjusting nut, that may be loose.

This John Twist video may give you the confidence to disassemble.

I run dual SUs and set the jets with a caliper (the end part that slides in and out). I usually set the jets at .09" below the bridge, but this is probably too lean for you. I would target in the range of .010" to .012". I agree with Ron. It looks like your jet in in the range of .030 to .040.

https://youtu.be/sxVFCY_1aSA
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:39   #4
arcturus
arcturus

I think that there is a problem with the whole jet assembly on the carb,no matter what I do I cant get it right. Striped it down again and double checked every thing and now it' running lean. I think that I will replace. No problem at all with rear carb.before you ask the throttle shaft isn't worn.

Checked everything out again and set jet height as suggested. 0.10". No problem with rear carb but front wouldn't go below 0.35" before whole assembly turning.Also spring week and not pulling jet up firmly.
Will order all the bits and wait,probably three or four weeks for delivery. Burlens are really slow.

Last edited by arcturus; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 14:39.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 17:55   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

The jet block/guide is screwed into the body and locked firmly there by the thin lock nut. The block should be just below the face of the bridge. If you can see a few thou of the carb body that's fine. It shouldn't be flush. The jet should then be able to go up flush with the top of that. Baseline for tuning should have the jet wound up to that position. Screw down your favourite choice of flats to start with. Usually 12 with the HS6, it may be different with the HS4. If the jet guide nut is tight it shouldn't move when you wind up the adjuster nut.
This thread and the associated ones with it might prove useful. The issue discussed is a washer. Might this be your problem?
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-...stion.3801168/
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 18:23   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Well, it seems that for some reason, the adjuster nut is not moving the jet. My humble guess is that the entire jet assembly is spinning in the housing as you turn the adjuster nut. There is a locking nut higher up, above the adjusting nut, that may be loose.

This John Twist video may give you the confidence to disassemble.

I run dual SUs and set the jets with a caliper (the end part that slides in and out). I usually set the jets at .09" below the bridge, but this is probably too lean for you. I would target in the range of .010" to .012". I agree with Ron. It looks like your jet in in the range of .030 to .040.

https://youtu.be/sxVFCY_1aSA
Won't run at 0.010" two flats rich and no problem at 0.025". Is this measurement your starting point or final setting?
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 18:30   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The jet block/guide is screwed into the body and locked firmly there by the thin lock nut. The block should be just below the face of the bridge. If you can see a few thou of the carb body that's fine. It shouldn't be flush. The jet should then be able to go up flush with the top of that. Baseline for tuning should have the jet wound up to that position. Screw down your favourite choice of flats to start with. Usually 12 with the HS6, it may be different with the HS4. If the jet guide nut is tight it shouldn't move when you wind up the adjuster nut.
This thread and the associated ones with it might prove useful. The issue discussed is a washer. Might this be your problem?
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-...stion.3801168/
No, I have the correct copper washers in place.I can assure that the nut is tight.I just think that the face is worn. By replacing the whole assembly I won't be chasing my tail.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 03:53   #8
blueosprey90
Master Member

I've found that 1 flat is good for about .01" of adjustment.

I'm currently running my MGA with H6 SUs at .095" and .097", but I've run them as low as .008" and the engine was sweet!

I'm running the Volvo with H4 SUs at .010 plus two flats, so say .012". When I first got the car, the carbs were set at .013" and .0135" and I was getting a lot of fumes. Of course, that could have been the overall tune of the car, and I also reset distributor and timing to address.

I like to run lean, but there is a danger that the car runs too hot and burns a valve and causes valve recession. On the MGA I have hardened seats and also run a dual exhaust gas temperature gauge to monitor exhaust temperatures. On the Volvo, I don't know whether the head has hardened seats and I don't monitor temperature, so I run a bit more rich.

Normally I think the starting point for any SU carb tune is 2 1/2 turns.

You might want to analyze your needle profile. Seems like your needle might be too thin. Is it worn??? The GT needle profile is on page 41 here. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/pdf/...arburetors.pdf
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 07:18   #9
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I think that there is a problem with the whole jet assembly on the carb,no matter what I do I cant get it right. Striped it down again and double checked every thing and now it' running lean. I think that I will replace. No problem at all with rear carb.before you ask the throttle shaft isn't worn.

Checked everything out again and set jet height as suggested. 0.10". No problem with rear carb but front wouldn't go below 0.35" before whole assembly turning.Also spring week and not pulling jet up firmly.
Will order all the bits and wait,probably three or four weeks for delivery. Burlens are really slow.
The H4 starting point setting is 0.04” or 1mm below the bridge.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 07:55   #10
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post

Also both carbs jet height should be set the same.