Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.6D No Boost - No error codes

Views : 16334

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:38   #21
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmikevo View Post
Also they tell me that after the DPF regen, it registers 4 gms which is very good apparently so the DPF itself should not be causing the problem. Any ideas what might cause the system to believe that the DPF repeatedly blocks after 50-60 miles or what would cause it to block after the same mileage? This seems to be testing everyone - and causing me much grief and financial injury.
I happened to be reading this while sitting in a Volvo dealership with a similar situation with my own V50 1.6D. DPF had been blocking, car is constantly throwing errors for DPF regeneration duration, DPF full and ash accumulation. I'd do a forced regen, and still it would throw the errors again with a short time (even right in the middle of a 200km motorway journey). Replaced the DPF pressure sensor and pipes (one was definitely perished), but no joy. It's got to the point where I can't even do a forced regen any more, so I'm stuck in limp mode. After a forced regen, I was getting a pressure of 5hPa from the sensor - which should mean it's clear. With the errors throwing, I'm getting 16hPa, which is still under the 20hPa Vida says is the top of the normal range. (readings at idle)

Hence my trip to the Volvo dealership. They say the issue is the intercooler pipe. Part is on order and hopefully I'll be able to get it fitted by early next week. Given your (and other's experience), I'm not 100% convinced this will be the end of my issues here, but we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by phutyle; Nov 27th, 2018 at 16:40.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 17:02   #22
volmikevo

I'd be very interested in the result from changing your intercooler pipe as I read somewhere that this was someone else's cause. I'm somewhat sceptical tho as why would a forced regen work for 50 or so miles if the intercooler pipe was the problem ....... Interesting that you also found a split DPF pipe which has been replaced along with the sensor - me too but it did not solve the issue.

I asked my garage if it could be an injector issue causing the mixture to be too rich and generating soot. Their reply was that as the regen process is done by using excess fuel to generate heat, this would clear the DPF rather then block it. So to extrapolate that analogy, if the intercooler is not functioning correctly, presumably there is misfuelling? However if it works, I'll have some of that.

Last edited by volmikevo; Nov 27th, 2018 at 17:04.
volmikevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 18:51   #23
volmikevo

Surprise, surprise - just been advised that after everything else in the emissions system has been changed, the car needs a new DPF. More £s down the pan but what else can be done to get the engine functioning again?

Having totally lost confidence in the car, it's going as soon as I get it back in a functioning capacity. That is the end of Volvo for me unfortunately as there is nothing in the range to equal the V50. I've just bought an Octavia to replace it, petrol of course!
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 16:35   #24
volmikevo

After fitting a new DPF, replacing another damaged pipe and seeing another £660 disappear down the pan (total spend now nearly £1400), I got the car back and it drove very well although I only did a couple of miles as I have totally lost faith in it. I'm told that it's now guaranteed so if anyone wants a 59 plate V50 DrivE with 41500 miles and, apparently, a completely new emissions setup, let me know as it's going in 10 days.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 22:31   #25
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmikevo View Post
I'd be very interested in the result from changing your intercooler pipe as I read somewhere that this was someone else's cause. I'm somewhat sceptical tho as why would a forced regen work for 50 or so miles if the intercooler pipe was the problem ....... Interesting that you also found a split DPF pipe which has been replaced along with the sensor - me too but it did not solve the issue.
Just to follow up on this, I finally got the intercooler pipe changed today. They were able to do a forced regen after, and the car’s driving fine at the moment, although I only did about 50km. I have a 500km round trip on Thursday, so I’ll be a bit more confident that the issue is fixed if I get through that without problems.

One thing I noted - when I was doing forced regens myself (with Vida) over the past few weeks, they were only taking about 5 minutes. The one in the Volvo dealers today took more than half an hour. So I see that as a good sign as the 5 minute regens obviously weren’t right.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 18:25   #26
volmikevo

Interesting about the differing time taken for the forced regens and, perhaps, their effectiveness. I'm over it now as a buyer was found for my V50 while I was away on holiday so I'm booking my losses and running, just waiting for the proceeds to arrive in my bank over the next couple of days. A shame tho as the V50 is a really nice car but with a major financial loss over this, I'll never buy another diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to volmikevo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 12:02   #27
tom1704

Hello,

I saw that you had some problems with your volvo, regarding power loss.
In last month I have a similar problem on my car (V50, 1.6d, year 2009). Loss of power, revs up to 2800, and there is no fault on vida and no icon service required. Than I turn off the engine and turn it on again, after that car goes normally. I change the intake hose OEM 31293729 but it doesn't solve the problem. Can you tell me, which is the intercooler pipe you change to solve the problem.
Thank you in advance.
tom1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:15   #28
FITZSURF

Hi,

Did changing the intercooler pipe sort out performance problems on your V50?

Performance of my V50 (2009, 1.6 Diesel 100,000 miles) is awful on steep hills. I'm wondering whether I have an intercooler system leak, that only manifests itself under high load conditions.

I've recently done the following work:
All glowplugs replaced
Fuel filter replaced
DPF pressure sensor and hoses replaced (inlet hose had failed!). Regens done since.
MAF sensor replaced
EGR valve replaced and calibrated
CEM contacts cleaned
Turbo pressure converter/controller replaced

Car starts fine, idle is steady, engine revs to over 3000rpm, no smoke, no fault codes since doing the above work.
FITZSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 18:23   #29
FITZSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITZSURF View Post
Hi,

Did changing the intercooler pipe sort out performance problems on your V50?

Performance of my V50 (2009, 1.6 Diesel 100,000 miles) is awful on steep hills. I'm wondering whether I have an intercooler system leak, that only manifests itself under high load conditions.

I've recently done the following work:
All glowplugs replaced
Fuel filter replaced
DPF pressure sensor and hoses replaced (inlet hose had failed!). Regens done since.
MAF sensor replaced
EGR valve replaced and calibrated
CEM contacts cleaned
Turbo pressure converter/controller replaced

Car starts fine, idle is steady, engine revs to over 3000rpm, no smoke, no fault codes since doing the above work.
I started getting "1507 Turbo Control Low" code. Turbo boost pressure was only reaching 1,400HPa, compared with desired pressure of 2,100HPa.Just replaced turbo (new Garrett GT1544V), intercooler hoses and flushed the intercooler. Fault code cleared and performance restored. Turns out all the vanes in the turbocharger had disintegrated!

Last edited by FITZSURF; Apr 17th, 2023 at 18:23. Reason: extra detail
FITZSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FITZSURF For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 21:10   #30
CbrDave

What was the outcome?, i have the same issue and it's driving me mad.