Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

On start, no response from accelerator pedal

Views : 1263

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2018, 18:48   #1
benrpatterson

Default On start, no response from accelerator pedal

Hi All,

A few times now, I’ve started the engine and I press the accelerator, which doesn’t do anything!

Taking the key out and starting he car again, or doing this a few times seems to help and the car is away and drives fine!

Had a search through the forums and seems maybe it needs the codes read?

Volvo S40, 2.0d, 2007, 180k miles

Thanks
Ben
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 20:22   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

I’d hazard a guess at the butterfly flap in the throttle body is sticking. It’s a common issue on the 2ltr Diesel V50 with the single outlet throttle (although not technically a throttle) body.

If you’re handy with a toolkit it’s a job you can easily do yourself otherwise a competent mechanic can easily do it.

If it’s not that then you’ll have to get it hooked up to Volvo diagnostics. If your motor has the twin induction throttle body that I believe is to support the DPF. If your car hasn’t got a DPF you’ll have the same throttle body on the pictures in my other post below.

How all this helps.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Dec 5th, 2018 at 20:51.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 20:30   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

I had this with mine. I was getting miss starts from cold or if I shut the engine down when it was hot I’d restart it and I’d have lots of smoke and it wouldn’t rev. Leave it twenty minutes and the car would start normally.

Solution, I stripped the butterfly housing off the motor and removed the sensor inside it. Clean out the housing with carb cleaner, get an old toothbrush to scrub away any stubborn carbon deposits and then chamfer the edges of the butterfly flap slightly with emery or sand paper (I shine a torch down it and chamfer enough off so I can see a halo of light around the flap) and then rebuild.

One hour to carry out this mod and if it doesn’t fix the issue it won’t cause any issues to your motor. The cause is either the heat of the engine is causing the housing to warp which jams the flap, jubilee clip holding it has been over tightened which can cause it or its full of carbon and its crusted up around the flap area.

Give it a go and see if it makes a difference, you’ve got nothing to lose. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 18:50   #4
benrpatterson

Thanks so much mate, I will give that a go when it decides to stop raining! Has been fine today.
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:29   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

Good luck, I hope it solves the issue.

TT
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 19:05   #6
Madmike

Any luck with this?
Have a 2005 S40 2.0D here which just gave up working a few weeks ago. Can start the car, but it will not rev at all. If I stay at the throttle pedal for maybe 10 or 15 mins, it will get as high as about 3,000 rpm, but the minute I put it in gear and try to move off, it dies again
Madmike is offline   Reply With Quote