Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrics - hard wiring dashcam

Views : 3829

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2018, 09:58   #11
CoolDave

I fitted two nextbase cameras to my V60 - one in the front (a 412GW) and one to the rear screen (a 312GW).

For the front I used the same approach as described in this thread - down the left a-pillar and pluggedin using a piggy-back fuse(but then couldn't put the fuse box cover back on so left that off).

For the rear one it was a bit more difficult as I couldn't find a switched fuse in the rear fuse box. So I ended up creating a very long cable and hooked it up to the front - sharing the same piggyback fuse as the front camera. I checked the camera power draws, and it is no problem. The whole setup works fine.

Figuring out the route of the cable was a bit challenging, but i ended up running it behind the plastic cover on the top of the tailgate,through the plastic cable 'tube' between the tailgate and the car, then down the right hand side of the tailgate rubber trim to get to the boot floor. Then I ran it with some other wires underneath the boot floor, underneath the left rear seat, and then along the left rear door sill and through to the left front door sill. And then Joined up with the front camera cables, using the same earth point and the same piggyback fuse.

It took me about 2h to get it all wired up, but glad I did.
CoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolDave For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 10:34   #12
Kod

Default Fuse physical size

Found “The Dashcam Store- how to identify your fuse” on YouTube which gives a clear picture of sizes.
Kod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kod For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 15:36   #13
1monkey600

When volvo installs genuine accessories in the front of the car they usually link into the back of the cigarette lighter in the centre console.
Along the same vein - do you have a cigarette lighter in the boot of your car? The v/xc70's often have the wiring pre-installed behind the trim, even if that particular model didn't get the lighter as standard.

Check fitting instructions here for more info:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...60/2017?query=

Eg
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...20(-18)%202017
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 17:14   #14
CoolDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
When volvo installs genuine accessories in the front of the car they usually link into the back of the cigarette lighter in the centre console.
Along the same vein - do you have a cigarette lighter in the boot of your car? The v/xc70's often have the wiring pre-installed behind the trim, even if that particular model didn't get the lighter as standard.

Check fitting instructions here for more info:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...60/2017?query=

Eg
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...20(-18)%202017
The only problem though is that I found the rear cig lighter to usually be not be switched. So you'd have the dashcam powered on the whole time even when the car is off.... Worth checking, but I know that's the setup on my V60.
CoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 17:27   #15
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

I can't remember which fuse I piggbacked, but it was really easy to do. Just hide the wire under the trim around the windscreen.

I didnt use a constant live fuse, one that comes on with ignition. Maybe the electric seat fuse....took all of 15mins

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 17:30   #16
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDave View Post
The only problem though is that I found the rear cig lighter to usually be not be switched. So you'd have the dashcam powered on the whole time even when the car is off.... Worth checking, but I know that's the setup on my V60.
Yes, You are correct. I forgot about that.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 23:18   #17
SeaShell

I have hardwired my dashcam using the fuse for the centre 12v socket. Strangely I have noticed that it goes live again for about 10 seconds when the doors are locked using the remote.

I have tested this by having my phone plugged into the 12v socket which also charged for about 10 seconds on locking the doors.

Anyone know why this happens?
SeaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 11:56   #18
AB100

I have a my17 xc60, last of the old shape, and found out that although my car does not have heated seats, the supply for them is actually there on a large connector under each front seat. This is ignition controlled from fuses in the box mentioned under the LHS dash.
Live and earth are on pins 1 & 2 and I just used connectors to a switched multi-way socket with usb ports which just sits under the passenger seat in a 'well' near the front where it cant be kicked.
The lead just pushes under the edge of the trim all the way down and along the door cill trim from a Mobius camera which is hardly visible set in the cutout of the screen sensor boxing.
Cant remember the actual fuse numbers (in the mid 20's) and the colours were reversed for some reason from the wiring diagram.
Has worked a treat for several alps and south of france trips so far!
I noticed that there is also a connector under each side of the rear seat, which I expect will be the same, however havent checked that one out as I dont have a rear camera.
Hope thats a help to someone!
Alan
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 18:06   #19
GrahamHR

I finally got round to hard wiring the dash cam on my V60 Polestar ( I had to donate the cigarette socket power supply to my wife's car).

Easy fitting; there is an easy to use earth point. Two T25 screws hold a trim panel in place under the glovebox, but they screw into plastic inserts. However, there are two 8mm head screws holding the glovebox to the dash cross bar. Metal to metal and one can be used for a good earth point. No need to remove the screw, it just needs slackening off.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 19:44   #20
SeaShell

A cable tie round the small fusebox cover will hold it on. Piggy back fuse holders just sit a little bit proud to allow it to clip back on properly.