Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33107

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:49   #201
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Mine too but I am taking them off next week. One way or another it WILL be spring and we WILL be warm!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 10:52   #202
id5
Premier Member

I swapped the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's on the XC60 yesterday back to the original Rosso’s, I will leave the Nokian's on the Focus for a while longer as it is still dark and frozen when I go to work. My original thoughts when I swapped the Rosso’s are here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...&postcount=112

The original Rosso’s have 5mm of tread left on the rears and 3mm on the front, I am hoping to get a couple of thousand miles on the fronts before I change them. I took the XC60 out for a run round the block to check that all was okay and noticed a big difference in handling. The steering was tramlining, moving across the bumps and needed constant very minor corrections to keep in line. I double checked the toque on the bolts, visually inspected the join between the wheel and the hub, checked the pressures and all was okay but what a difference in handling.

I am sure that there is nothing wrong and that it is just a different feel but I may advance swapping the fronts to new Conti’s or Michelin’s sooner than I thought. I may have to start a Poll (bun fight) on which would be better
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 14:43   #203
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
I swapped the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's on the XC60 yesterday back to the original Rosso’s, I will leave the Nokian's on the Focus for a while longer as it is still dark and frozen when I go to work.

I took the XC60 out for a run round the block to check that all was okay and noticed a big difference in handling. The steering was tramlining, moving across the bumps and needed constant very minor corrections to keep in line. I double checked the toque on the bolts, visually inspected the join between the wheel and the hub, checked the pressures and all was okay but what a difference in handling.

I am sure that there is nothing wrong and that it is just a different feel but I may advance swapping the fronts to new Conti’s or Michelin’s sooner than I thought. I may have to start a Poll (bun fight) on which would be better
Likewise, swapped my Winter Nokians for Summer P Rosso's yesterday & noticed that same difference in handling. But after a few hours driving this morning it felt just like normal - what ever normal is?
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:21   #204
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Likewise, swapped my Winter Nokians for Summer P Rosso's yesterday & noticed that same difference in handling. But after a few hours driving this morning it felt just like normal - what ever normal is?
Glad it's not just me then

It's a bit like the difference between walking in hiking boots or trainers but the feeling is through the steering wheel.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:44   #205
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I've not managed to read all the threads on winter tyres here.....
But does anyone know the best (eg, skinniest!!) wheel sizes for an XC60 to lob winter tyres on?

Incidentally, I do agree it is very much down to how people drive, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2cMlNRX_A is a good example of why winter tyres are indeed better.....even on a 2WD versus summers on a 4WD !

Cheers
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 11:03   #206
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

They do you want thin tyres? The wider the better for snow.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 16:28   #207
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
They do you want thin tyres? The wider the better for snow.
Narrow tyres work best in snow , they cut through down into the substrate ( road for example ) , wider tyres work best ON snow , they don't sink as deep .. It depends how deep the snow is and how heavy the car is really . some of the older cars with 125. 135 145 or 155 width tyres work very well in snow .
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 21:55   #208
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Too late now I fear. Expect the posts to keep coming. And on that note, I will be saving my money, but only beacuse I live in West Sussex. Admittedly last year was an aberration, but there is a reason why our climate in the South East is generally different from central Europe/Scandinavia etc. It's called the North Atlantic Drift and I'm banking on it bailing me out for many winters to come. Obviously, when the first snow flake falls, I'll probably panic and be out looking for those rather dashing conti's Newvolvo recommended.........
I'm only a few miles south of you on the coast......

.......and have now done 500 miles on a new set of Michelin Cross Climates, a snow rated "all-season" tyre.

So far so good, fantastic in the wet and on moderately loose surfaces (mine's a front wheel drive D4), they are also much quieter (than the OE Pirelli's) and the car feels genuinely different at town speeds - it has completely lost that hard, brittle edge to the urban ride that I always blamed on the R-Design suspension.

The compromise / trade off is a tiny reduction in sharpness of steering, although that in itself makes the XC60 even more directionally stable at highish motorway speeds, so far only experienced in appalling weather (wind and rain) conditions.

Naturally spending just over £600 on a new set of rubber will ensure the mildest winter in living memory, the only visible snowflake being on the tyres sidewall........
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 14:06   #209
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
I'm only a few miles south of you on the coast......

.......and have now done 500 miles on a new set of Michelin Cross Climates, a snow rated "all-season" tyre.

So far so good, fantastic in the wet and on moderately loose surfaces (mine's a front wheel drive D4), they are also much quieter (than the OE Pirelli's) and the car feels genuinely different at town speeds - it has completely lost that hard, brittle edge to the urban ride that I always blamed on the R-Design suspension.

The compromise / trade off is a tiny reduction in sharpness of steering, although that in itself makes the XC60 even more directionally stable at highish motorway speeds, so far only experienced in appalling weather (wind and rain) conditions.

Naturally spending just over £600 on a new set of rubber will ensure the mildest winter in living memory, the only visible snowflake being on the tyres sidewall........
They seem to be a good compromise. I don't want to mess around changing tyres/wheels because whenever you do it, you are always too early or too late - twice a year. At least, I was on my previous two cars.
If that extra bit of grip also helps the acceleration away from stop, and prevents front wheel scrabble, they will be a great choice when I need to change mine.