Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55429

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.73%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 446 57.77%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.70%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 772. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 19:25   #121
detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sman View Post
Personally I don't see the point in carrying around a spare 18" alloy, it's a huge wheel to lug about for the life of the vehicle.

I've got a tempa space saver in mine, which if push comes to shove I could change. However if my wife was alone in the car out driving and she got a flat, I've told her to call for recovery.

She doesn't know where on the vehicle to jack and I would seriously doubt she'd get the wheel nuts undone.

As long as I'm paying for recovery cover I'd even use recovery over a tin of goop. Touch wood it's been a good 10 years since I've had a blow out, mostly just had nails through the tyre etc.
In the same boat here. Carry a Tempa just in case I get a puncture but told my wife "just phone the breakdown" if she gets a puncture. That tyre goop is a waste of space as my mate found out with his merc getting a blow out in Scotland in the middle of nowhere (in the middle of the night) and having to wait hours to get recovered as the goop wasn't worth a blow on a rag man's bugle. Needless to say he now has a Tempa.

Just a good example of car manufacturers letting the accountants get too involved with the business. Buying a 30 grand motor that doesn't come with a space saver is ridiculous.
detailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 16:31   #122
Crockers
Premier Member

These Tempa spares cost new from a dealer £250 but can be found on ebay for £150 plus shipping. Or it's £150 when bought with a new car. If they supplied every car with one I doubt if the cost would be anywhere near £150
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 17:37   #123
TimS

They cost £150, & of course you don't get the can of snot in addition. I guess Volvo would say that the can of snot's therefore worth £100.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 10:51   #124
wrinkles
VOC Member

Smile

Space not a problem in a 940 estate
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 19:56   #125
Blue Ocean Racer
New Member but 3rd Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Got a Tempa spare wheel now, after my experience with the sealant I will always have a spare from now on.

Cost me £282.96 from the dealer - wheel, jack, foam wheel insert thingy.
Car is a lease vehicle, so I will either use it if I have another XC60 or sell it on afterwards
Pesky, can you provide me with part numbers of bits you bought, please? Thanks.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 21:12   #126
ra5040

Default Absolutely should have an option of a full-sized tyre

I drive on very bad roads and having to rely on a Tempa tyre isn't very nice. As for the repair kit ... I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and hit a curb while parking at 5kph in a rented Jaguar: sliced tyre. I had to take a taxi to the airport (150 Euros) as Hertz could not provide me with a spare tyre or a replacement car. Imagine that happening up a mountain track!!

Anyway, what I do now, which is pretty ridiculous, is to keep a full-sized wheel in the back (on top of the Tempa!).

Of course it isn't a very eco-friendly thing to do, but it's better than having to hike home.

Last edited by ra5040; Oct 20th, 2013 at 21:15.
ra5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ra5040 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:23   #127
844PHW
Master Member

I often carry a fullsize spare wheel in the back of my XC60 where it simply lies in the luggage area. However, it is unsecured and an obvious safety hazard in the case of a sudden stop. For that reason (and to catch any other loose objects) I have the safety grill installed across the top of the back seats.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 16:51   #128
Mikelfixit

Default Spare Wheel Poll

I am delighted to see that there is almost universal agreement that a spare wheel is essential, either as a full size or a skinny wheel.
Happily I don't get many punctures, maybe half a dozen in 50 years, but not one of them has been in the tread. They have all been sidewall breaches which cannot be repaired by any means.
I have just traded in my 2002 V70 for a 2012 V70. The 2002 skinny wheel now sits in the newer V70, and the inflation equipment has gone with the trade-in.
I considered other estates of similar size, and if the V70 had not had space for even a skinny wheel, I would have bought another brand that did.
Mikelfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 07:38   #129
Daniel TD5

I have a temps spare wheel in the xc60
£150.00 a must have

Our audi q3 did not come with a spare wheel
So I got a full size spare alloy kept in the boot which
Is a bit point less

Audi changed the spec on my14 all
Now have space saver due to complaining customers

?
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:09   #130
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Default Spare wheel

The lovely thing about democracy is that as many members as there are, as many options there are too. Shame that CO2 legislation and cost cutting measures will limit the designers too.
As I have always had cars with full spares, I noticed my XC70 comes with a Tempa and I have decided on getting a Xenia wheel and have a brand new tyre fitted on it and carry it in the boot. Having had punctures always at night or remote places, I fully agree that driving with one feels much safer. One knows they are not dependent on any 3rd party solution when having such a problem. Have gone as far as carry a piece of wood to put the jack on and might sell of the Tempa as I prefer to have one full size spare wheel. Always wondered what would happen if one (due to logistics) could not limit to the maximum range on the Tempa (if there is one at all when keeping the limits in terms of speed in mind) and something would happen ? Am rather convinced the insurance company would have found that a valid reason to classify the claim as void ?

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote