Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55230

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 6th, 2016, 15:51   #161
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBrick View Post
Don't forget it is illegal to change a tyre (in fact do any work on a car) on the motorway hardshoulder. ....

It may not be advisable but it is not illegal.

The traffic wombles may not want you to change it without their involvement, they have to justify their time, and the rescue firms use that line as scare tactics to try and get a sale, but the longer the car is there the greater the chance of an accident. Fix it and move on unless visibility is bad and you do not have a lookout to pull you out of the way in case of danger, in that case call the wombles on the emergency phone, wait for them to come and cone off then fix it. IIRC they can't charge you for that service yet, but I am sure that it will not be far away before they do.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 16:54   #162
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
It may not be advisable but it is not illegal.

The traffic wombles may not want you to change it without their involvement, they have to justify their time, and the rescue firms use that line as scare tactics to try and get a sale, but the longer the car is there the greater the chance of an accident. Fix it and move on unless visibility is bad and you do not have a lookout to pull you out of the way in case of danger, in that case call the wombles on the emergency phone, wait for them to come and cone off then fix it. IIRC they can't charge you for that service yet, but I am sure that it will not be far away before they do.
I looked at the legislation and it implies it is illegal in that repairs of any kind are not listed as being legal. All the legal items are listed. The Highway Code says do not attempt even simple repairs. I'm guessing it is down to the police to interpret.

If you have seen some of the videos I have of cars being crashed into on the hard shoulder I'd say leave the car on the hard shoulder and get off the hard shoulder onto the verge, about 30 ft back and wait for the emergency services. And never turn your back on the traffic flow even if you have to walk backwards. (that's the advice the police are given)

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 7th, 2016 at 16:57.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 17:24   #163
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
.... the longer the car is there the greater the chance of an accident. Fix it and move on unless visibility is bad and you do not have a lookout to pull you out of the way in case of danger, in that case call the wombles on the emergency phone, wait for them ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I looked at the legislation and it implies it is illegal in that repairs of any kind are not listed as being legal. All the legal items are listed. The Highway Code says do not attempt even simple repairs. I'm guessing it is down to the police to interpret.

Where in the legislation does it say that it is illegal or even implies it?

It is not in The Motorway Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982. That is the law that is behind the advice given in the Highway Code Rule 275 that states "do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs". It does not say it is illegal to repair it, it says do not put yourself in danger when doing so.
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 18:36   #164
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Where in the legislation does it say that it is illegal or even implies it?

It is not in The Motorway Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982. That is the law that is behind the advice given in the Highway Code Rule 275 that states "do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs". It does not say it is illegal to repair it, it says do not put yourself in danger when doing so.
It's implied in that it lists what is legal and car repairs are not listed, only the recovery of vehicles amongst the things you can do. I don't know why they have chosen to word the legislation like they have as it seems to be open to misinterpretation until it's challenged in court.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 07:12   #165
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
It's implied in that it lists what is legal and car repairs are not listed, only the recovery of vehicles amongst the things you can do. I don't know why they have chosen to word the legislation like they have as it seems to be open to misinterpretation until it's challenged in court.
The law does not list everything that is legal, only what is illegal.

To be implied or even open to misinterpretation the limitation of repairs on the hard shoulder of a motorway needs to be mentioned in the Regulations and they are not therefore what you suggest is impossible.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 21:18   #166
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
The law does not list everything that is legal, only what is illegal.

To be implied or even open to misinterpretation the limitation of repairs on the hard shoulder of a motorway needs to be mentioned in the Regulations and they are not therefore what you suggest is impossible.
The law says it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder.

Then it lists a series of exemptions non of which include any form of repair.

From this it seems to me that the Police are using their discretion as to whether anyone gets charged with an offence or not if they choose to do repairs on the motorway rather than call the emergency services for removal, which is legal.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 07:10   #167
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
The law says it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder.

Then it lists a series of exemptions non of which include any form of repair.
To make things easier for you I have written out Section 7 or the Regulation

Section 7
2. Where it is necessary for a vehicle which is being driven on a carriageway to be stopped while it is on a motorway-
(a) by reason of a breakdown or mechanical defect or lack of fuel, oil or water, required for the vehicle; or
(b) by reason of any accident, illness or other emergency; or
(c) to permit any person carried in or on the vehicle to give help which is required by any other person in any of the circumstances specified in the foregoing provisions of this paragraph.
the vehicle shall, as soon and in so far as is reasonably practicable, be driven or moved off the carriageway on to, and may stop and remain at rest on, any hard shoulder which is contiguous to that carriageway.
3. (a) A vehicle which is at rest on a hard shoulder shall so far as is reasonably practicable be allowed to remain at rest on that hard shoulder in such a position only that no part of it or the load carried thereby shall obstruct or be a cause of danger to vehicles using the carriageway.
(b) A vehicle shall not remain at rest on a hard shoulder for longer than is necessary in the circumstances or for the purposes specified in paragraph 2 or this Regulation.

It only lists the reasons why you can stop, it does not list what you can or cannot do to the vehicle when it has stopped.

There is no implied that repairs are illegal.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 21:16   #168
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
To make things easier for you I have written out Section 7 or the Regulation

Section 7
2. Where it is necessary for a vehicle which is being driven on a carriageway to be stopped while it is on a motorway-
(a) by reason of a breakdown or mechanical defect or lack of fuel, oil or water, required for the vehicle; or
(b) by reason of any accident, illness or other emergency; or
(c) to permit any person carried in or on the vehicle to give help which is required by any other person in any of the circumstances specified in the foregoing provisions of this paragraph.
the vehicle shall, as soon and in so far as is reasonably practicable, be driven or moved off the carriageway on to, and may stop and remain at rest on, any hard shoulder which is contiguous to that carriageway.
3. (a) A vehicle which is at rest on a hard shoulder shall so far as is reasonably practicable be allowed to remain at rest on that hard shoulder in such a position only that no part of it or the load carried thereby shall obstruct or be a cause of danger to vehicles using the carriageway.
(b) A vehicle shall not remain at rest on a hard shoulder for longer than is necessary in the circumstances or for the purposes specified in paragraph 2 or this Regulation.

It only lists the reasons why you can stop, it does not list what you can or cannot do to the vehicle when it has stopped.

There is no implied that repairs are illegal.
OR legal

It only states that you may stop on the hard shoulder if you break down. It says nothing about doing a repair on the hard shoulder.

Browsing the net indicates that the Police do not issue fines for stopping to change a tyre as I only found one tyre related hard shoulder fine.

Most likely thing is to be killed or seriously injured. Typically 15 deaths and 42 serious injuries per year. AA seem to prefer to move the car and repair the tyre in a service station. One repair company said you need to have a permit to work on a car on the motorway hard shoulder.

Tyre repair van attempt to change tyre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rob6.jpg (54.3 KB, 16 views)
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 15:00   #169
muffking

I opted for a space saver after getting a blow out last week in the wife's car. I managed to limp off a dual carriageway onto an exit slip road and waited 2 hours for the RAC to pick me up.

Now the V60 carries a 16"space saver + tools, and the wife's car now carries a 17"space saver + tools as I really don't want to have another 2 wait if I can move off to a safe place even if I destroy the tyre trying.

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 15:24   #170
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
OR legal

It only states that you may stop on the hard shoulder if you break down. It says nothing about doing a repair on the hard shoulder.

By your interpretation that means that nobody cannot legally perform a recovery of a vehicle either as that is not mentioned in the regulation, and the motorways are not littered with broken down cars so therefore....