Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55052

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 24th, 2011, 00:27   #51
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
I have driven somewhere in the region of 700,000 miles so far ( in various cars ) and the only car I have had punctures in is my current Octavia vRS, which has had 3 punctures in 2.5years.

VW generally provide full size alloys as spare wheels, my Skoda has a "space-saver" but it is 205/55x16 - normal tyres 225/40x18.

It is something I have considered whilst looking at the XC60 but the electric parking brake annoys me more!
Trust me, you'll get used to it.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:31   #52
stu0710
Master Member

I thought that this might have been a thread about over indulging at Christmas........
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 14:24   #53
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
I thought that this might have been a thread about over indulging at Christmas........
+9 pounds here!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 16:37   #54
844PHW
Master Member

Getting back on topic, I had considered doing a table of what makes/models did and did not have a fullsize spare. However, it looked a lot of effort for not much value. A list of vehicles without a spare doesn't add much to the discussion.

As an example of a car with, I recently looked at some issues on the Vauxhaul Corsa for one of my daughters. It seems that some current models of corsa have the option of a full size spare. Presumably then, all corsas have a big enough wheel well, but just have a tyre repair kit supplied as standard on cost saving grounds.

Now I would be happy with that philosophy applied to the XC60.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 17:48   #55
weble

As i will be using my car for towing, im gonna say full size spare as it's the only real option. There was a case once of a chap (with a Nissan IIRC) who had a flat, they came and put his space saver spare on, which wasn't suitable to use while towing, but because they'd fitted his spare, which was inflated and ment the car was then mobile. They wouldnt do anything else to help him out even though he couldnt tow his trailer on it leaving him stranded!

As Volvo's are popular towing cars, it would, to me seem the way forward.

I've had to take the space saver out my S80 and replace with a full size
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weble For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 13:42   #56
Lancahire

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Getting back on topic, I had considered doing a table of what makes/models did and did not have a fullsize spare. However, it looked a lot of effort for not much value. A list of vehicles without a spare doesn't add much to the discussion.

As an example of a car with, I recently looked at some issues on the Vauxhaul Corsa for one of my daughters. It seems that some current models of corsa have the option of a full size spare. Presumably then, all corsas have a big enough wheel well, but just have a tyre repair kit supplied as standard on cost saving grounds.

Now I would be happy with that philosophy applied to the XC60.
My daughter and I share a Corsa while she is learning to drive. I cannot understand Vauxhall, The original spare wheel is NOT a Space saver. It is a "cost saver" for Vauxhall. It seems to be a full width tyre but on a 14 inch rim, while the Four road wheels are 15 inch wheels.

The standard wheel does fit in the spare wheel well.
Lancahire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 13:55   #57
boulder
Volvo v50 2010

I agree with the last post. All cars should have a perfectly serviceable spare wheel and tyre which is the same as the rest on the car. I do think though that they should be kept clean and dry inside the vehicle and not slung underneath. I haven't had a puncture in years but my wife did the other day in our Kia Sedona. fair play to her, she managed to jack the car and change the whell but when sh let the jack down, the new tyre was flat - RAC time! The rim of the alloy had corroded and leaked, although the wheel and tyre were brand new, they were beyond repair. The tyre had been held in the cradle which had pushed two big dents in the sidewall and we were advised to scrap it.
boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 15:18   #58
weble

What i did remember yesterday, but forgot while typing, was a case of a car i saw when working in the motortrade. It was done by the owner and not any kind of dealer. He thought it clever, and it was, in a fashion.

Due to his car having a space saver, but a spare wheel well big enough for a full size, he'd crammed two space savers in!

But I cant help thinking they are for emergancy, and to need two, would mean you're really unlucky. Or driving around for too long on a space saver.

I also raised the question "So what do you do, if you have a full boot, with your full size flat tyre after you've fitted one space saver and still have another in the wheel well?" he didnt have an answer for that lol
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 16:57   #59
Lancahire

Smile

I rather like the position of those vehicles ( mostly 4x4 ) which have the spare wheel on the back door. They are easy to get at when needed and can easily be inspected.
Lancahire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 22:36   #60
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancahire View Post
I rather like the position of those vehicles ( mostly 4x4 ) which have the spare wheel on the back door. They are easy to get at when needed and can easily be inspected.
Especially if they have a cover like the RAV4 used to have. Apparently Toyota have now dropped the idea of a sparewheel in the UK market. So the fact of being on the back door and not interfering with anything else (except costs) doesn't stop manufacturers dropping it.