Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Consumption XC60 D5 and D3

Views : 28661

Replies : 177

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 15:31   #11
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60AWD View Post
Since getting my MY12 XC60 D5 Manual R-Design with 20 inch wheels I have been averaging around 35-36 mpg, highest was 36.2 and currently showing 35.1, though I had to give it some this morning as I was late for a meeting.

The car is now 19 days old and has covered 2300 miles mainly on the motorway at 75'ish on the clock. I have been driving very cautiously apart from this morning and must say I am disappointed with the consumption.
Official combined figure for the new D5 manual - 50.4mpg. Hmmm! doesn't seem very realistic. And don't forget the guage is usually around 7-8% optimistic.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 17:46   #12
XC60AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
Official combined figure for the new D5 manual - 50.4mpg. Hmmm! doesn't seem very realistic. And don't forget the guage is usually around 7-8% optimistic.
It is impossible for anyone to get 40mpg from this model under normal driving conditions. Thats a 20% reduction on the combined figure, I would take a guess that most people would not even manage to get 70% of the combined figure under normal driving.

A truly shocking statistic and something that Volvo should rectify.

XC60AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 18:13   #13
jimbg
Master Member

The mpg figures do not make sense, this is from the July 11th pricelist ( latest )

All are the combined figures.

D3 FWD DRIVe Manual 49.6 mpg
D3 FWD Auto 41.5 mpg

D3 AWD Manual 49.6 mpg
D3 AWD Auto 41.5 mpg

D5 AWD Manual 50.4 mpg
D5 Auto 41.5 mpg

The 50.4 mpg figure has to be wrong surely?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 18:30   #14
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
The mpg figures do not make sense, this is from the July 11th pricelist ( latest )

All are the combined figures.

D3 FWD DRIVe Manual 49.6 mpg
D3 FWD Auto 41.5 mpg

D3 AWD Manual 49.6 mpg
D3 AWD Auto 41.5 mpg

D5 AWD Manual 50.4 mpg
D5 Auto 41.5 mpg

The 50.4 mpg figure has to be wrong surely?
Past experience of figures on the volvo website suggests that one should not trust them (in the sense that some of the figures may simply be wrong). And it can be difficult to get a sensible and timely response if you query anything. As to the 50.4 figure, I really don't know.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 18:48   #15
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Past experience of figures on the volvo website suggests that one should not trust them (in the sense that some of the figures may simply be wrong). And it can be difficult to get a sensible and timely response if you query anything. As to the 50.4 figure, I really don't know.
I would like to hear from more D5 MY12 owners as to what they are getting. There has to be an improvement compared to pre MY12 surely?
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 21:12   #16
jimbg
Master Member

I just think it cannot be right that the auto figures are all the same regardless of engine size or AWD v FWD.

Same with the manual figures, how can they be so similar?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 21:34   #17
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
I would like to hear from more D5 MY12 owners as to what they are getting. There has to be an improvement compared to pre MY12 surely?
Only done 800 miles so far of reasonably gentle motoring mainly on Motorways averaging about 80 mph & am getting an average of 28.22 as measured from full tank to full tank. I have only used the Sport mode a few times which does dramatically change the engine map - trying to hold back until a few more miles on the clock........!!
Whilst I am a "wee" bit disappointed I do understand that the engine is still pretty tight & that today's diesels need a good few ooo's before they loosen up & the mpg start dropping. I would be happy to achieve 35mpg by the time I have got 5,000 miles on the clock - which is a great improvement from my previous car - V70 T5 - which I would normally average about 23mpg with the same journey patterns.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 21:38   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post

When I was in Dubai in April 2010 Petrol was selling @ $0.35/L which was about a mere 21p/litre. Unfortuantly current prices have since "soared" by over 25% to the dizzy highs of $0.44/£0.26 per litre.

Wonder how much of a drain the A/C is on fuel economy? But then who would even care at those prices.......!!!
Bet the majority of XC60's sold are fuel eating petrol T6's.
Aircon reduces fuel consumption.

Example - straight road instantaneous fuel readout 39.8 put aircon on and this drops to 33.5.

Hi guys and gals

Its great to read about your fuel returns although what I was hoping to establish is how you peeps "ran in" your XC60 and thus what you are getting MPG wise.

Did some of you run in below 2000rpm and are now getting good returns or are you getting low returns as a result of a gentle run in.

Did you drive hard from new and now you get low MPG or the opposite?

Comments as usual are warmly welcomedd

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Jul 21st, 2011 at 21:38. Reason: put 200rpm instead of 2000...lol
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 21:42   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

Also by the way

The fuel returns you guys (and gals) are posting - are these generally averages over a specified distance...ie 35mpg say over 2000miles?

Without re-setting the trip from new?

I know some of you have posted "long trip to Scotland averaged 35mpg" etc
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 21:50   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Hi there Ransman

Yes the fuel returns as per "Volvo Official" for MY12 are better.

The reason , I opine , is that it is due to the fitting of stop / start which in effect reduces emmissions down to 149 (for the manual anyway as stop / start is not on Autos)

Considering fuel consumption is only measured "on the bench" via emmissions in some sort of virtual lab test , one can only come to the conclusion that fuel mpg for MY12 will not be that different in real terms / real life driving than non stop / start MY11 etc - especially on the motorway as also bear in mind the MY12 is a 215 (212) bhp as oppose to 205 bhp of MY11.

Re 4wd versus 2wd - also bear in mind that even the D5 is only 2wd in normal conditions with power going only to the front wheels unless slip is detected and then 4wd kicks in

Please peeps correct me if I am incorrect

Regards