Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014MY XC60 ordered - Volvo #7

Views : 25048

Replies : 202

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:57   #11
Westyman
VOC Member

Seems that I HAVE to have the Nav version if I want SE Lux as there isn't a non-Nav version. It is claimed that 90% of SE Lux and R-Design Lux have the Nav specified.
Can't understand why folks will pay £1200 for a sat Nav when you can get a perfectly good Garmin for £2-300 but there you go.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:16   #12
don kalmar union
Trader

Default PIN codes.

Have you asked the dealer if they will supply you with whatever pincodes you may need to be free of all the restrictions that the lack of them will impose on your full enjoyment of this vehicle?

It is a sleeper and will be very restrictive of Volvo ownership in the wider sense if not adressed.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:21   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Have you asked the dealer if they will supply you with whatever pincodes you may need to be free of all the restrictions that the lack of them will impose on your full enjoyment of this vehicle?

It is a sleeper and will be very restrictive of Volvo ownership in the wider sense if not adressed.

Regards, Don.
This is ONLY a problem for people like you, it is not a problem for 99.9% of car owners.

Please stop scaremongering and trying to create an issue where an issue does not exist.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:34   #14
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Volvo Pincode ransome.

You are not up to speed on this and taking a very miopic view.

Presently this system prevents such traders as myself from flashing in other software unless we remove the ECU and address it directly. In this limited respect it favours Polestar and is contrary to EU legislation. Frankly it is not a great problem for me and my fellow competitors in the UK aftermarket presently as most of our customers modify older cars.

The wider aspects of this system bloody well should be of interest to you and all other owners of later model Volvos, it will limit your use and enjoyment of these cars in the widest sense, forcing owners to deal only with companies linked in to Volvo's systems: it will also prevent owners from changing many other aspects of the vehicles which must be profoundly wrong.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:04   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
You are not up to speed on this and taking a very miopic view.

Presently this system prevents such traders as myself from flashing in other software unless we remove the ECU and address it directly. In this limited respect it favours Polestar and is contrary to EU legislation. Frankly it is not a great problem for me and my fellow competitors in the UK aftermarket presently as most of our customers modify older cars.

The wider aspects of this system bloody well should be of interest to you and all other owners of later model Volvos, it will limit your use and enjoyment of these cars in the widest sense, forcing owners to deal only with companies linked in to Volvo's systems: it will also prevent owners from changing many other aspects of the vehicles which must be profoundly wrong.

Regards, Don.
You so wrong here it is laughable.

It is a vanishingly small percentage of people that have any need, or desire, to enter into the realms of the computer circuitry within a car. It is also the case that these same computers are safety critical and manufacturers are completely correct in preventing people from tampering with such systems.

I repeat it is your problem, not mine or the great majority of people who simply enjoy their cars for what they are - highly sophisticated, computerised, engineering marvels that they are happy to have serviced and maintained by people who have legitimate access to the software systems within the vehicle.

I also repeat stop trying to make an issue out of nothing.u
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:14   #16
Westyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyman View Post
Seems that I HAVE to have the Nav version if I want SE Lux as there isn't a non-Nav version. It is claimed that 90% of SE Lux and R-Design Lux have the Nav specified.
Can't understand why folks will pay £1200 for a sat Nav when you can get a perfectly good Garmin for £2-300 but there you go.
And you can't have side tinted windows AND laminated side glass together now.

No idea what you lot are going on about. When I built my Westfield the ECU was PIN protected to stop idiots messing about with it and causing possible damage. It was to protect Westfield's warranty. After 12 months I got the PIN.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:26   #17
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Pincodes.

There is an unarguable case for a manufacturer protecting its exposure to fraudulent warranty claims, there is no issue there.

But this wider isssue of protecting various aspects of the electronic functions of a modern vehicle, in this case with different pincodes for different areas in perpetuity, is flaunting the law and is frankly not needed and can only be there to lock out not only a competant owner but competion in the aftermarket.

To suggest that aftermarket companies are either incompetant or dishonest does not hold water......who is being protected from who in these matters?

Regards, Don.

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:29.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:16   #18
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

To suggest that aftermarket companies are either incompetant or dishonest does not hold water......who is being protected from who in these matters?

Regards, Don.
Clearly I have accidentally hit on the nub of the problem since you volunteer this statement.

At no point in any of my commentary do I make any reference to competency or honesty of anyone or any company, I merely state that this is your issue not mine, nor the overwhelming majority of people who do not see any need to tamper with excellent, reliable products.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:28   #19
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
And you can't have side tinted windows AND laminated side glass together now.

No idea what you lot are going on about. When I built my Westfield the ECU was PIN protected to stop idiots messing about with it and causing possible damage. It was to protect Westfield's warranty. After 12 months I got the PIN.
Well, on the Swedish site you certainly can have both tinted windows AND laminated glass together.

Btw, how do you know that you can not? The new UK pricelists are not yet loaded online. Dealer? They probably don't know anyway.....

If it's not possible, spec laminated windows and tint the windows through a different company (film on the inside). If done properly, it will look great.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:37   #20
bluesnappa

Quote:
Yes nav comes with the Lux I would have liked the £1200 less option too as my Garmin is excellent. Suppose my son will benefit and get a free Garmin. I just hope the Volvo Nav is as good.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote